BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 2, 2013 12:03 am  #1

British GQ. January

Thank god and all that is holy I know a bookstore that carries this magazine.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/01/sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-reveals-why-he-struggles-to-find-love-4209076/

Last edited by tonnaree (December 2, 2013 12:05 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 2, 2013 12:04 am  #2

Re: British GQ. January

I read an except from the interview on Tumblr...and now I really want to read a copy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 2, 2013 9:14 am  #3

Recalling his run-in with the Madonna, 55, the Star Trek actor quipped: ‘She said, “You’re the one with the strange name”. I said, “Yes, I am, Madonna”.

Haha! :-P

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 2, 2013 9:37 am  #4

Hmm... will have a look at the bookstall of the main station over here. Or our "English shop" in the city centre.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 2, 2013 9:46 am  #5

I wonder if they re-used parts of older interviews. This thing about people thinking they know him from what is spread over the media? And the reasons why he cannot find a partner? I am prepared to wait fort the whole interview but I hope it is not recycled stuff once again. I suppose it is not really funny to read about your unsuccessful love life and your strange name and your posh upbringing again and again. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 2, 2013 10:01 am  #6

They can't be serious about that second pic up there, can they...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 2, 2013 10:12 am  #7

Well, that's classic Sherlock Holmes, I suppose. Minus the deerstalker. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 2, 2013 10:37 am  #8

Interesting. I wasn't reminded of Sherlock Holmes at all, I just thought "Is he going hunting?".

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 2, 2013 10:49 am  #9

It is a over the top for my taste. The suit might look quite good, but the coat … not my cup of tea. And let me ask again: Why are they hiding him under all those garments? Because it's winter? 

December 2, 2013 10:55 am  #10

I'm so glad I'm not the only one wondering about these things.
Btw, I have to say that on the cover I rather like him with that turtleneck very much. Don't ask me why, but as a cover pic it completely works for me.

December 2, 2013 10:56 am  #11

The more he tries to get rid of stereotypes the more he establishes them himself just by talking about it and denying it again and again in interviews.
The photo doesn't help either.

December 2, 2013 11:46 am  #12

I think something could have been recycled as I have the feeling, too, that I know some things already.
Or they just asked the same questions again, which would be even worse.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

December 2, 2013 11:51 am  #13

Be wrote:

The more he tries to get rid of stereotypes the more he establishes them himself just by talking about it and denying it again and again in interviews.

But then he is asked the same things over and over again. Or do you think he dictates the questions in his interviews? 
I am getting tired of the name, the school, the Bitches, and also the Alan Rickman imitations. This may be interesting for some time but they should stop asking and requesting that. It was such a relief to read the wonderful interview Gary Oldman did with him. Or listening when he talks to James Rhodes about music.
Or do people really want to hear about the same things again and again?

As for the photo: I have no problem with seeing him in classic British style. I just don't like the combination. He seems very English to me and I am fine with that. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 2, 2013 11:52 am)

December 2, 2013 12:30 pm  #14

SusiGo wrote:

Be wrote:

But then he is asked the same things over and over again. Or do you think he dictates the questions in his interviews? 
I am getting tired of the name, the school, the Bitches, and also the Alan Rickman imitations. This may be interesting for some time but they should stop asking and requesting that. It was such a relief to read the wonderful interview Gary Oldman did with him. Or listening when he talks to James Rhodes about music.
Or do people really want to hear about the same things again and again?

People buy the magazine. So obviously the press always ask the questions to get the answers they think the fans want to read. Vicious circle. Difficult to get out.
Good advice would be to stop doing interviews with such kind of magazins and choose more carefully.
But on the other hand it is business. But I imagine that Mr Cumberbatch right now with enough press attention doesn't need more of the same. So he should try to choose a bit better. Maybe he has contracts to fulfill and no alternative but to do some things anyway.
But compare his choices with Mr Freeman's. No silly stereotype interviews about/with him participating. Mr Freeman seems to be more careful even with The Hobbit hype.

Last edited by Be (December 2, 2013 12:32 pm)

December 2, 2013 3:19 pm  #15

I just had a look at some of the quotes, and at least two are old and probably not part of the GQ interview. The "domestic dumb posh-bashing" is from The Telegraph of 14 August 2012 (!) and "I can't control the perception ..." at least as old as 9 May 2013 when it was published in a Huff Post interview. 

This shows again how lazy these media often work by putting together bits and pieces which somehow fit in the image they wish to create. 

December 2, 2013 5:17 pm  #16

I just got excited when I saw the cover.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 2, 2013 6:54 pm  #17

Concerning lazy media: From our point of view it's lazy, from their point of view (which I don't want to defend!) it's a job. We as fans would certainly ask completely different questions, but journalists who 'only' do their job might not be interested in preparing such an interview carefully and coming up with more... unusual questions. I can understand this up to a point, but I also have to say: Aren't they aware that they most likely bore Mr. Cumberbatch, the readers and also themselves to death by asking questions that have already been asked a hundred times before? I personally wouldn't be interested in asking questions I already know the answers to...

Yes, people buy those magazines, they read those interviews, but I'm sure they would also buy the magazines and read the interviews if more unusual and uncommon questions were asked and answered.

December 2, 2013 7:03 pm  #18

This is true. And I do not criticise GQ as I have not read the interview. What annoys me are those articles that throw together old quotes in order to create new headlines. Maybe the GQ questions will be better. I am always happy to read really good stories like the TIME interview which also dealt with political matters or Caitlin Moran's very personal interviews. And there were a lot of people who liked them.
I suppose most fans are not dumb and want to know a bit more than how he sounds as Alan Rickman or why his name is so incredibly funny.

December 2, 2013 7:17 pm  #19

I agree. And it definitely depends on the type of media what you get for your money. Might be naive, but I expect something different from an interview/article in TIME Magazine than from something I read in GQ. But what I always expect is to read something new, something I haven't read or heard before - and I don't mean personal stuff. I'm sure Benedict has an opinion about a lot of different things, they don't even have to be political. And yes, maybe journalists have to think a little harder to come up with questions which aren't all that obvious.
But I also understand that in a show like Late Night with Jimmy Fallon people don't want to hear guests talk about politics or other serious stuff. They want Mr. Cumberbatch to impersonate Alan Rickman. That's just how these things work, I suppose.

December 2, 2013 7:24 pm  #20

You are right, in most talk shows people promote their latest projects and try to be entertaining. Which is really okay. I liked Top Gear, I liked the GNS. What I don't like is when highly-paid guys like Letterman invite guests and have not the slightest idea about what they are doing or why they have been invited at all. 

Board footera