BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2013 3:50 am  #41

Re: Little Favour (as many spoilers as needed)

Like many others I have to say it was not at all what I expected.  And I mean that in a good way.  I love to have my assumtions turned upside down.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 8, 2013 6:46 am  #42

Yeah, I have to say:  I was put off by the trailer,.
But I don't do ' itunes' and stuff like that, so no fulll view for me.
Been intersting to read about it, tho.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2013 1:02 pm  #43

besleybean wrote:

Yeah, I have to say:  I was put off by the trailer,.

Well, when I first read the synopsis, I thought (to paraphrase our favourite actor) "someone is fantasising about BC" and I wasn't wrong!
I admit, I was also a bit perplexed and put off by the trailer, but I have been pleasantly (is it a right word in a case of such a violent film?) surprised by the final result. I think it was almost perfect, if pressed I would indicate just two tiny details I didn't like. I think I liked it better than "Inseparable", which is also a very fine short.
This one is more complex and, as someone said, leaves you satisfied and at the same time wanting for more.

November 8, 2013 3:30 pm  #44

As I'm not on iTunes - is there any other possiblity to watch it? (For example are they planing on making it available on amazon?) I would really like to watch it - sounds interesting. :-)

November 8, 2013 3:32 pm  #45

I don't think so but it is not difficult. You can download the programme without any obligation. You do not have to use a credit card. There are iTunes vouchers you can buy in many shops and use them to buy the film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2013 4:52 pm  #46

No other way?

Is everybody on iTunes nowadays? *sigh*

November 8, 2013 5:22 pm  #47

I know of no other way. But you really don't need an iPod or anything and can watch it on your computer. I suppose they cannot sell a DVD with a just 20 minute short film. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2013 9:28 pm  #48

Jep, you're probably right - but downloading via amazon would be an option... (I once had iTunes on my PC and then it crashed, so I'm not very keen to try it again.) But thanks anyway.

November 9, 2013 10:30 am  #49

SolarSystem wrote:

I'm not sure about Lilah, I guess I'll have to watch it again. And I mean: how much about her behaviour is truly genuine...? She has to be in on this whole thing from the very start, don't you think?

Ok, so we know from the synopsis that James saved Wallace's life during they military service in SF: it has been not brought explicitely in the film, but they cleverly did it through "the voices" in Wallace's head. Also, James states it clearly "I need to call in THAT favour"  therefore reminding Wallace that he "ows" him. To me it is obvious that Wallace has tried to distance himself from his past AND James, but he has known all along that one day he would have to repay his debt with James and is resigned to do it, even if he hates to be dragged into the world of violence once again.
Lilah has to know the whole plane from the beginning, there is no other explanation. This means nothing in her behaviour is genuine. And it also calls for reflection what is exactly the price of this "little favour" James asks from Wallace? On the surface, it is James using Wallace and exposing him to danger and savage beating. But even more devastating, I think, is playing with Wallace's feelings. He doesn't want to take care of the child, but once he does, he obviously develops feelings about her. It is all very condensed, of course, this being a short, but nevertheless evident. (and this is what James was counting on). When Wallace realizes at the end that he has been played by her, as well, it is heartbreaking, far more than it would be in a case of a "normal" person, because he is already damaged emotionally from his past experiences. 
This is not to say that Lilah is "evil". She is what she is, because she has been corrupted by the adults.
Isn't it astonishing, btw, that even in the role of a badass and though guy, the most prominent feature of the character Benedict is playing is his vulnerability? 

November 9, 2013 12:37 pm  #50

"Isn't it astonishing, btw, that even in the role of a badass and though guy, the most prominent feature of the character Benedict is playing is his vulnerability"? 

Yes!   In that final scene there are so many layers of emotion on his face.  He never ceases to amaze me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 9, 2013 5:35 pm  #51

But to me Wallace is not your classic badass and tough guy. He is not what I would call evil, for a start. You can see almost from the first second of the film that he is torn by his emotions, that he is not a man who couldn't care less about anything. He has a heart, he cares, something inside him seems to be broken...
Of course he knows how to fight, how to give someone a good beating, how to defend himself... in that way, yes, he is tough. But, I don't know... if badass means that you kick other people's asses in order to defend yourself, then yes, he's badass. But with lots of layers of emotions, as tonnaree already mentioned.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 10, 2013 8:03 pm  #52

Oh, I didn't intend badass as evil, more as urban dictionary defines (cool, awesome, extremely skilled). He is an ex-Special Forces and obviously very well trained in combat. His fight in the final part of TLF is going very much on automatic impulse: at this moment he is exhausted, hurt, weakened from the beating, but still has adrenaline and this combat training to keep him going. I loved it that they didn't make him into superhero, though.
However, I found very intersting his facial expression when he is attacked by the first man in his appartment and he continues to punch him: his face is stern but also kind of sad. And did you notice that he never dropped his cellphone? 

November 10, 2013 10:39 pm  #53

I think he didn't drop his cellphone because he was using it to break the bad guy's neck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

January 8, 2014 2:31 pm  #54

Anyone knows where I can find Little favour in streaming? (Except for itunes?)..

January 9, 2014 10:30 am  #55

Oh, look at that...! Making of Little Favour... with a very athletic and BAMF!Benedict. And... sweatpants.

http://amygloriouspond.tumblr.com/post/72751638454/benedict-in-sweatpants

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 9, 2014 10:33 am  #56

...and this... oh my /$%$)74%(%§?`=*##*%3$(=Pß´´´78)%%=´´!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2014 10:47 am  #57

Solar... I need a translation again... English for *sabber*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 10:50 am  #58

Can't help you there, I'm not capable of a translation right now, I'm busy with... staring.

January 9, 2014 10:58 am  #59

Found something... slobber... exactly the right word...
Not only as Sherlock he is a show-off.... slobber again

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 9, 2014 11:00 am  #60

Oh, he may show-off to me anytime.

Board footera