BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2013 10:48 am  #21

Re: Little Favour (as many spoilers as needed)

Wow, isn't it wonderful how many questions and interpretations this short inspires? Kudos to the writer & director. And I am so happy to have been offered for once a film which doesn't try to explain everything to the audience.
As for the complicated James's plan: well, it is surely not more complicated that Moriarty's scheme in TRF? Comparing to Moriarty, James is still in kindergarten 
The whole child thing intrigues me, because it seems to be the central point of the short (I mean, there is James and mafia and a lot of fighting and schooting, but it is not what I think is the core of the plot).
I admit my impression that James has some trauma related specifically to children is a speculation, however there are at least two hints that there is something more than this: the voices in his head (he hear them all the time, it is PTSD, but these "no, no, no" appear exactly in the moment he realizes James wants him to take care of the child) and the sculpture of child soldier in his apartment. Now, one hint may be always misleading, but two begin to give more substance to this line of interpreting.
A digression: I loved how they mad Benedict into a fighter-but-not-superman-bond-type. I remember Brosnan could take a beating without as much as winking and then proceed effortlessly to annihilate all his opponents. Benedict here shows Wallace as a trained SF fighter, but still one which is affected physically after his ordeal and not up to his usual effectivness in combat.
As for the ending: yet again, it is open to different interpretation. Of course, Wallace is confused, it is emphasised by the soundtrack, as well. But his final shock is due, I think, to the final act of Lilah shooting the bad guy (whatever his name). In this moment he realizes two things:
1. Lilah is not James's daughter: really cany you guys (ladies ) imagine a father who would do that. I mean, putting you kid in a danger/ train them in combat - well, it is hard to swallow, but still. However, at this point, if James wants the guy dead, he could simply kill him himself: ordering a child to kill someone in cold blood is something different than to kill them in fighting. For me it was the most terrifying moment of the film. And similarly, I think, it was for Wallace: he was confused and shocked generally, but it was this act of killing that chilled him. And this way we neatly  come back to the child theme which is, IMO, the focus of the film all along.

Last edited by miriel68 (November 6, 2013 10:49 am)

November 6, 2013 11:02 am  #22

Well said, miriel. My first thought after watching the film was that James uses the child as a living weapon. Remember when he asks for her name and her purpose and where she is? To me these questions seemed like cues, like buttons pressed to make her do what he wants. First you think he comforts and loves her but in the light of what happens afterwards I think he set her on the path to killing these men. 
From a writer's POV the idea of using a damaged child for one's own purposes is as original as it is cruel. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 6, 2013 11:03 am  #23

miriel68 wrote:

As for the ending: yet again, it is open to different interpretation. Of course, Wallace is confused, it is emphasised by the soundtrack, as well. But his final shock is due, I think, to the final act of Lilah shooting the bad guy (whatever his name). In this moment he realizes two things:
1. Lilah is not James's daughter: really cany you guys (ladies ) imagine a father who would do that. I mean, putting you kid in a danger/ train them in combat - well, it is hard to swallow, but still. However, at this point, if James wants the guy dead, he could simply kill him himself: ordering a child to kill someone in cold blood is something different than to kill them in fighting. For me it was the most terrifying moment of the film. And similarly, I think, it was for Wallace: he was confused and shocked generally, but it was this act of killing that chilled him. And this way we neatly  come back to the child theme which is, IMO, the focus of the film all along.

I think he was shocked by two things: by Lilah killing the bad guy without any imminent danger (like you said, James could have killed him himself at that point); and by the realization that he probably was completely wrong about James, because I didn't think that Wallace did expect James to act in such a way.
There seems to be a bond between James and Wallace, the nature of which is not really clear to me. But nevertheless a bond, and James clearly has betrayed Wallace. Betrayal in itself isn't such a nice thing, but the very nature of this particular betrayal... is horrifying, even for someone who has seen the battlefield. Or maybe even especially for someone who has seen the battlefield and who now wishes to lead a 'normal' life.

As for the 'complicated' plan: Yeah, well, I wouldn't necessarily compare James to Moriarty, and maybe the plan isn't even all that complicated. To me it just seemed a bit too constructed.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 6, 2013 11:05 am  #24

SusiGo wrote:

Remember when he asks for her name and her purpose and where she is? To me these questions seemed like cues, like buttons pressed to make her do what he wants. First you think he comforts and loves her but in the light of what happens afterwards I think he set her on the path to killing these men.

Very good point, I'd completely forgotten about that!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 7, 2013 1:11 am  #25

Have now watched for the first time.  Rather breathless at the moment.

Would love to see this expanded as a feature.

Curls.  As a curly girl I can testify that the slightest bit of wet or humidity and curly hair will run amok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2013 1:39 pm  #26

tonnaree wrote:

Would love to see this expanded as a feature.

Me too, definitely!
Does anyone know where this possibility with the feature film comes from? Did anyone from SunnyMarch mention this anywhere? I've read or seen nothing about this so far...

November 7, 2013 1:44 pm  #27

If I am not mistaken then Patrick V. Monroe mentioned it himself. Or somebody else from Sunny March. It sounded quite authentic. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 7, 2013 2:38 pm  #28

But, of course, we want it expanded as a feature staring Ben.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 7, 2013 2:56 pm  #29

Of course! Ben! Definitely Ben! BAMF Ben!

November 7, 2013 8:28 pm  #30

That was……   wow, intense.  Still a little mixed 'wow' and disturbed and yet appreciative of the production of a darker artsy 'short'.  You guys pretty much said it all, already.  I thought she was his actual daughter too, until the hint of 'child soldier' and his obvious intent of how he was going to take care of the 'deal gone wrong' thanks to her and Wallace.  Ben's expressions were on the nose yet again, especially at the end, which really was the most 'wth?' moment… seriously, for what point would James make Lilah take the final shot for him?  And her face!
I agree just James and Lilah knew what might happen.  He knew he 'could count on' Wallace to fight, to say nothing, to look out for Lilah, but to count on things happening in such a way for Lilah to be his weapon and get all the guys?  Looks like they're also trying to paint a picture of what the battlefield/war did to each three of them and how they act as a result.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 7, 2013 9:00 pm  #31

Well, this particular thing (James telling the girl to kill the wounded guy) troubles me quite a lot. I read Q&A with P. Monroe on twitter yesterday and he told something about James knowing that the girld would be kidnapped but safe, since the bad guys would not hurt, because they were looking for him. Here is the quote: "There was nothing in it to hurt her without him." He also said a curious thing about James "Colin Salmon's is the worse. The question is... Is he a villain because he's done a villainous thing?". Here, however, I have to say: yes, he is. There are some actions which are so morally wrong that it is not possible to justify them in any circumstances. Ordering the child to shoot a man in cold blood is one of them, IMO 

November 7, 2013 9:36 pm  #32

I agree, for me he is the truly bad guy in the film. The Russians are more or less clichéd villains but he is worse. And when he says "A bad deal gone worse" this shows that he is probably make a living with criminal dealings. It seems he is a criminal using a child soldier for his own ends. 
But then I wonder why Wallace helps him. Is it a sort of exaggerated code of honour? Does he feel bound to James so much that he takes the risk of helping a man who clearly seems to be involved in crime? 

November 7, 2013 9:44 pm  #33

Well, the question seems to be how much Wallace actually knows about James and the stuff he is involved it. He probably knows that James does illegal business of some sort, but I doubt that Wallace would ever anticipate something like this to happen. After all, he's totally taken by surprise at the very end.
Exaggerated code of honour? Hm. Maybe James is the only thing close to a friend Wallace has...? I don't think that Wallace has a lot of friends, if any at all... and maybe that's what makes this bond between him and James so... special, even valuable to him? So he would do almost anything in order to help James and keep this bond, this only friend?

November 7, 2013 9:47 pm  #34

As for the first part I agree with you. 
But in their conversation James mentions that he never hears from Wallace. I had the impression that they might have shared a bond during their service but have not had much contact afterwards. I read somewhere that James saves Wallace's life although this is not stated in the film. I suppose he therefore felt to bound to do something for him. 

Last edited by SusiGo (November 7, 2013 9:47 pm)

November 7, 2013 10:10 pm  #35

I guess it would make sense that Wallace has saved James' life (or something like that) at one point, since he seems to owe James a favour. And maybe you're right, maybe Wallace agrees to 'help' James because he owes him a favour, and because due to a code of honour he now feels obliged to return that favour. And maybe not so much because James is his (only?) friend.
And after all, it seems that Wallace does not have the slightest idea what he's getting himself into. He might anticipate that James is in trouble and that things might get dangerous - certainly for James, but not imperatively for Wallace. If Wallace had known what this 'little favour' would turn into... would he still have agreed to help James? I doubt it, code of honour or not.

November 7, 2013 10:14 pm  #36

That's true. And I am sure he would not have agreed if he had known about Lilah's part in all of this. He is so worried about her when he demands to see her. 
What about her reaction when she hugs him? Is this just acting on her part?

November 7, 2013 10:38 pm  #37

I'm not sure about Lilah, I guess I'll have to watch it again. And I mean: how much about her behaviour is truly genuine...? She has to be in on this whole thing from the very start, don't you think? I suppose she was trained for stuff like this, either by James or by other people. When I watched the film for the first time, I was completely irritated when she winked at Wallace after embracing him.

November 7, 2013 10:47 pm  #38

Yes, you may be right. Like I said, I think she is trained and James triggers her behaviour by using key questions and answers. 

November 8, 2013 2:40 am  #39

The film summary explains the debt owed by Wallace to James:

"LITTLE FAVOUR" tells the story of Wallace (Cumberbatch) as he tries to get over the scars of war and start a life away from the military when his old comrade James (Salmon) calls in a favour. Unable to turn down the man who saved his life, Wallace agrees to help James, but soon finds it may be more than just a "LITTLE FAVOUR". [Source]

Here's where Benedict talks (briefly) about the film & it's message: http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/benedict-cumberbatch-launches-production-company/5063002.article

I can't find where someone mentioned making Little Favour into a feature. From what I recall reading, Patrick Monroe would like to do it, and SunnyMarch is considering it, but they have a lot of things to choose from and they're not making any promises.

(Seriously, if they've said it I've read it somewhere, trust me!)

Last edited by Wholocked (November 8, 2013 2:41 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 8, 2013 2:50 am  #40

Ok tried to edit the above post but it wasn't playing nice...

Found the article that talks about the feature film: http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/off-the-wire/post/p1416
Monroe is now expanding the short into a feature – “I have it all mapped out” – though there’s no telling if it will be SunnyMarch’s first full-length production. Cumberbatch describes the nascent company as “spoilt for choice”, with both original material and adaptations under consideration

Also, random aside, whilst searching for that one I found the following review and thought this line was hilarious: http://vodzilla.co/reviews/itunes-short-film-review-little-favour/
At the centre of it all: Benedict. Smeared in blood and sweat and wearing a white vest, he’s like a London version of John McClane – but with better hair.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

Board footera