BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2013 1:24 am  #241

Re: World Premiere of The Empty Hearse on 15 Dec.

Not that I know them personally but that picture makes me think that Martin feels a bit "big brotherly" toward Ben.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 18, 2013 5:20 am  #242

gently69 wrote:

Two, imo, very good interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7mjI0aRXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZdrK-858Q

They don't tell me what I don't want to know right now... and it makes me a little bit squirrelly.

Great interviews!
There's just one thing irritating me a little bit: Amanda is talking about Sherlock and Mary being allies and friends. Well, I'd go with them being allied at one point, but friends...? Sherlock doesn't have friends, right? And since Benedict talks about Sherlock even being regressed when he returns, I'd suppose it's as hard for him to consider anybody a friend as it was in the very beginning of the show.
Interesting though, maybe his concept of what it means to be a friend/having friends has changed... it'll be interesting to see how he and Mary get along. It really made me very happy when Amanda said - and it was quite an assertive statement - that Mary doesn't get in the way of Sherlock and John. Very, very good.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 18, 2013 6:43 am  #243

I suspect she brings them together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 18, 2013 7:04 am  #244

kittykat wrote:

^^

Love this moment, and I also love that Amanda and Benedict seem to like each other a lot!
To me it looked a bit as if they were consoling Benedict for some reason...

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

December 18, 2013 7:14 am  #245

I think so too and I think we all know what!
Martin and Benedict are cute.
But Amada and Benedict are so tender.
This man needs a woman.
Any of you volunteering?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 18, 2013 7:18 am  #246

gently69 wrote:

Two, imo, very good interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO7mjI0aRXc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piZdrK-858Q

They don't tell me what I don't want to know right now... and it makes me a little bit squirrelly.

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting!

Now we know what Mary's profession is going to be. Makes sense them meeting on the job.
I quite like the idea of Mary and Sherlock being friends or at least friendish. I think it's great to have someone else in the show who has the guts to tell Sherlock off from time to time and actually be taken seriously by him.
I also really think that she won't get in the way as far as the John/Sherlock relationship is concerned. As Besley said I think she will rather be the bridge that brings them back together again after Sherlock's return.
I feel a bit sorry for Amanda having to stress that all the time though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield" M.H.

"My brother has the brain of scientist or a philosopher, and yet he elects to be a detective...what might we deduce about his heart?" M.H.

"Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

December 18, 2013 7:31 am  #247

She doesn't have too.
She could just ignore the idiots.

December 18, 2013 7:32 am  #248

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I also really think that she won't get in the way as far as the John/Sherlock relationship is concerned. As Besley said I think she will rather be the bridge that brings them back together again after Sherlock's return.
I feel a bit sorry for Amanda having to stress that all the time though.

I'm not sure if I feel sorry for her, but I can understand why she might feel the urge to stress this. I'm sure when she decided to join the show she knew exactly what she was getting herself into. She's on twitter and I'm pretty sure that from very early on she knew very well what is going on in the Sherlock fandom. She knows why people love the show, she knows about the appeal that the relationship between Sherlock and John has for the audience and a lot of fans.
Neverthelss, in my opinion she is in no way obliged to constantly emphasize that Mary won't come between Sherlock and John. I'm sure there are people out there who just set their minds on not liking Mary as soon as they first heard about her. She won't change their opinions by talking about Mary anyway. If people don't want to like her, they probably won't like her, no matter what Amanda says. Sad but true.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

December 18, 2013 7:37 am  #249

It is a pity that she thinks she has to stress this. But receiving anonymous hate is not really fun, which has happened as far as I know. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2013 7:40 am  #250

besleybean wrote:

I think so too and I think we all know what!
Martin and Benedict are cute.
But Amada and Benedict are so tender.
This man needs a woman.
Any of you volunteering?

That's a conundrum, isn't it?
Yeah... I really don't understand why this man still is single...

EDIT:
Concerning Amanda and reactions of "fans"... That's unbelievable. Can't they realise that it's only a TV Show at last???

Last edited by gently69 (December 18, 2013 7:50 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 18, 2013 7:54 am  #251

SusiGo wrote:

It is a pity that she thinks she has to stress this. But receiving anonymous hate is not really fun, which has happened as far as I know. 

True. I have to admit that I didn't find the idea of Mary very appealing when I first heard about her. I know she is Canon, but still. I felt (and still feel) sort of... protective about 'our boys' and don't want anyone or anything to come between them. I'm still not sure if I will like her or not, but I'm willing to give her every chance and to wait and see for myself.
Sending her hate messages... people really should grow up. That's a definite no-go.

December 18, 2013 8:02 am  #252

Exactly. Everyone has the right to dislike her as Mary (although after seeing a short interview with Amanda I think I may like her quite well) but some people cannot distinguish between actress and role. I think she even received death threats which is more than scary. 
It is a shame that in a wonderful fandom like ours people go to such negative extremes. 

I saw a statement on tumblr stating that it was people's right to post spoilers because the fans had been offended during the Q&A. This is idiotic as there was one person who started all this sh** and now they take that as an excuse to spoil the fun of all other fans. And what about the team that was treated badly as well?

This somehow reminds me of violent football hooligans using their sport as an excuse for attacking other people. They all lose all sense of proportion. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 18, 2013 8:03 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2013 8:58 am  #253

Amanda Abbington said in this interview that Mary sees a lot of herself in Sherlock. And so does Sherlock. What does that mean?
Did John find himself a woman that reminds him of Sherlock? Was she talking about some character traits that appeal to John? What can Sherlock and Mary have in common that they recognise in each other?
Interestíng.

December 18, 2013 9:01 am  #254

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I also love that Amanda and Benedict seem to like each other a lot!

I saw the whole video twice and I must say it does look like Martin and later Amanda were doing their best, trying to comfort Benedict. I have never seen MF with such a worried face while talking with Benedict and Amanda's hug was reminding me of myself when I hugged my daughter, when she got ridiculized by her friends during a school trip.Of course, it is possible that he just got the call from JJ Abrams that he won't cast him in SW after all, but somehow I don't think so. I've got an impression that this thing hit B. harder than Martin, who seems to have a thicker skin about all this kind of nonsense.However, Martin feeling compelled to stress out again and again that him and Amanda in the show is not Lennon - Yoko situation makes me feel for him, as well.On the whole, it is just a shame, that what should have been the wonderful event for the creators of the show, who have worked so hard and with so much dedication has ended instead as a hurtful and disappoing for them.Also, they all have been so generous and kind with the fans during alll the process of filiming (which, as I understand, backfired, as this wonderful CM woman pointed out some minor error in editing during Q&A) and it irks me that now it is the talk about fans being offended, or even blaming Benedict, of all the people. this is beyond the ludicrous .

December 18, 2013 9:07 am  #255

miriel68 wrote:

the_dancing_woman wrote:

I also love that Amanda and Benedict seem to like each other a lot!

I saw the whole video twice and I must say it does look like Martin and later Amanda were doing their best, trying to comfort Benedict. I have never seen MF with such a worried face while talking with Benedict and Amanda's hug was reminding me of myself when I hugged my daughter, when she got ridiculized by her friends during a school trip.Of course, it is possible that he just got the call from JJ Abrams that he won't cast him in SW after all, but somehow I don't think so. I've got an impression that this thing hit B. harder than Martin, who seems to have a thicker skin about all this kind of nonsense.However, Martin feeling compelled to stress out again and again that him and Amanda in the show is not Lennon - Yoko situation makes me feel for him, as well.On the whole, it is just a shame, that what should have been the wonderful event for the creators of the show, who have worked so hard and with so much dedication has ended instead as a hurtful and disappoing for them.Also, they all have been so generous and kind with the fans during alll the process of filiming (which, as I understand, backfired, as this wonderful CM woman pointed out some minor error in editing during Q&A) and it irks me that now it is the talk about fans being offended, or even blaming Benedict, of all the people. this is beyond the ludicrous .

could you post the link o the whole video? I only know the gif.

Last edited by Marva (December 18, 2013 9:17 am)

The Game is On!

December 18, 2013 9:47 am  #256

you can see it on youtube (for some technical reason I cannot past the link here, but if you go on yt and type "Sherlock: Mark Gatiss and Amanda Abbington on Holmes' return from the dead" it will pop up). It was shot after the screening, and Benedict's distress shows clearly. Stefan Moffat seems pretty unhappy, as well.Warning: the interviews are not really spoilerish, but Amanda talks vaguely about how her charater feels about Sherlock, so if you want avoid even this kind of information, it is better not to watch it.        

December 18, 2013 9:57 am  #257

oh thanks! That's the link, btw!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLCpPUpBWPk

Yeah they seem to be really concerned about Benedict. Somehow I don't think this was because of the FF reading. Would be interesting to know why then.

The Game is On!

December 18, 2013 10:11 am  #258

Be wrote:

Amanda Abbington said in this interview that Mary sees a lot of herself in Sherlock. And so does Sherlock. What does that mean?
Did John find himself a woman that reminds him of Sherlock? Was she talking about some character traits that appeal to John? What can Sherlock and Mary have in common that they recognise in each other?
Interestíng.

I just watched the interview again. Amanda says that she and Sherlock both love John and see this quality in each other. I think she means that their joint love for John is what connects them. 

December 18, 2013 10:43 am  #259

Hm, I'm not sure I would deduce Benedict to be overly distressed from that short video. We barely see his face, we mainly see how Martin and Amanda look at him. Admitted, it doesn't really look as if they were having the greatest of times, either. But I wouldn't overrate it, really.
(But of course I'd given him a hug, too, if he needed one! )

December 18, 2013 10:45 am  #260

SusiGo wrote:

Be wrote:

Interestíng.

I just watched the interview again. Amanda says that she and Sherlock both love John and see this quality in each other. I think she means that their joint love for John is what connects them. 

In the second video gently linked at 5:30 I understood that "she sees a lot of herself in him and vice versa".

Board footera