BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2013 6:41 am  #201

Re: Silly pictures of associations only Sherlockians can understand

So a type of wool?
Cos plaid to me is tartan!
So I suppose it's the woven pattern...very nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 14, 2013 7:31 am  #202

Yes, Aran/Arran is the pattern and the most typical material would be unscoured wool (slightly smelly with its lanolin intact). See http://patterns.on-arran.com/page/The+Arran+Sweater

Wiki says:
The Aran jumper (Irish Gaelic: Geansaí Árann) is a style of jumper/sweater[1] that takes its name from the Aran Islands off the west coast of Ireland.[2][3] It is sometimes known as a fisherman's jumper. A classical fisherman's jumper is a bulky garment with prominent cable patterns on the chest, often cream-colored.

The jumpers are distinguished by their use of complex textured stitch patterns, several of which are combined in the creation of a single garment. The word choice of "jumper" or "sweater" (or indeed other options such as "pullover" and "jersey") is largely determined by the regional version of English being spoken.[1] In the case of Ireland and Britain, "jumper" is the standard word with "sweater" mainly found in tourist shops.

February 14, 2013 7:43 am  #203

In German the word plaid is also used for a wool blanket. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 14, 2013 8:08 am  #204

Interesting use of plaid. In the US I think it means what we Brits would call tartan. There are other fishermen's jumpers/sweaters as well, such as Guernsey and, of course, that's where the word Jersey comes from (both Guernsey and Jersey are Channel Islands). Keeping the lanolin in the wool made the jumpers waterproof.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

February 14, 2013 10:55 am  #205

seems warm. perfect for watching Sherlock in cold evenings 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 14, 2013 3:53 pm  #206

So, you want to see the face....:

More here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=54728#p54728

Last edited by Mattlocked (February 14, 2013 3:54 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 14, 2013 4:00 pm  #207

nice. eyes! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I've always assumed that love is a dangerous disadvantage. Thank you for the final proof...

February 14, 2013 5:57 pm  #208

Really great job, Matt.  You are very talented.  That wing, OMG!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

February 14, 2013 6:15 pm  #209

Very fine, Mattlocked, great! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 17, 2013 11:57 am  #210

Wow, greatly done 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 17, 2013 12:03 pm  #211

Personal ads in an Australian newspapers :

http://my-quiet-corner.tumblr.com/post/43111582370/

February 17, 2013 12:07 pm  #212

Wonderful. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 17, 2013 2:18 pm  #213

soo nice!

February 17, 2013 2:43 pm  #214

Crap, I cold have thought about that.... 
Even if would have been just for me. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

February 17, 2013 4:51 pm  #215

I just saw stickers in a shop in Duesseldorf: I love BBC. It was the shop's name but guess what was my first thought? 

February 17, 2013 5:01 pm  #216

SusiGo wrote:

I just saw stickers in a shop in Duesseldorf: I love BBC. It was the shop's name but guess what was my first thought? 

Best British Cheekbones of course...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

February 17, 2013 5:08 pm  #217

What else? 

February 17, 2013 5:44 pm  #218

I would have thought Benedict's beautiful cheekbones, but Best British Cheekbones works as well 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

February 17, 2013 5:54 pm  #219

Or Benedict's Breathtaking Charm. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 17, 2013 5:54 pm)

February 17, 2013 6:47 pm  #220

Beautiful Benedict Cumberbatch?

Board footera