BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2013 10:00 pm  #21

Re: The Fifth Estate - our impressions (spoilers)

Yes, that is a very good scene. He realises for the first time how big Wikileaks has become and how dangerous his work may be. And I like how he trades information about himself whenever there is the risk of losing Daniel. Like when he shows him the photo of his son. Of course you never know how genuine these glimpses of his personal life are but they are well played.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2013 11:33 am  #22

SolarSystem wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Which reminds me of: What about that "hair" thing? In the film Julian talked twice about why his hair is white and I started thinking: "Oh my, what is so interesting about his hair colour!? Why do they mention it all the time?" Until at the end there was this explanation that he's dyeing it because of the organisation he lived in as a child. Truth or fiction?

And: thank you, Solar!!

My pleasure!

As for the "hair thing": I don't know about truth or fiction, I only know that each time it was mentioned in the film I felt kind of uncomfortable. Or to put it another way: I felt as if those moments were the weaker ones of the film, because it felt a bit like bad writing. To me it came across a bit clumsy, as if they'd wanted to include it in the film but didn't quite find a more subtle way to do it. So they let Assange say something like "That's why my hair is white" twice, and each time I just wanted to hole up in my seat because it just felt... wrong. Don't know how to explain it any better...

Probably the reason it sounds so...wrong....is because it is wrong! Julian doesn't dye his hair and was never part of a cult. WikiLeaks have denied this many times and even if you don't believe them, you can't not believe his own mother:

http://www.news.com.au/national/julian-assanges-mother-tells-of-health-fears-for-wikileaks-founder/story-fncynjr2-1226743379302

(Scroll down to the part where she's talking about the movie)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 5, 2013 11:42 am  #23

Another thing that wasn't true about the film and was massively misrepresented was the whole redacted/unredacted cables aspect. The line that "WikiLeaks doesn't edit" is not actually true at all - in the past they've always redacted names to protect the people involved. The release of the full unredacted cables was actually a mistake:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/sep/01/unredacted-us-embassy-cables-online

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011/09/wikileaks-unredacted-cable-release-is-guardians-fault/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/wikileaks-cables-possibly-released-by-accident/2011/08/29/gIQAfQHsnJ_story.html

http://techland.time.com/2011/09/02/wikileaks-the-guardian-trade-barbs-over-unredacted-cables/?xid=rss-topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Ftopstories+%28TIME%3A+Top+Stories%29

It was a much more complicated situation than was made out in the film. The unredacted cables got online and were being spread around on WikiLeaks mirrors sites and all over the internet so the damage had already been done when WikiLeaks published them on their official site.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 5, 2013 11:46 am  #24

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

Mattlocked wrote:

Which reminds me of: What about that "hair" thing? In the film Julian talked twice about why his hair is white and I started thinking: "Oh my, what is so interesting about his hair colour!? Why do they mention it all the time?" Until at the end there was this explanation that he's dyeing it because of the organisation he lived in as a child. Truth or fiction?

And: thank you, Solar!!

My pleasure!

As for the "hair thing": I don't know about truth or fiction, I only know that each time it was mentioned in the film I felt kind of uncomfortable. Or to put it another way: I felt as if those moments were the weaker ones of the film, because it felt a bit like bad writing. To me it came across a bit clumsy, as if they'd wanted to include it in the film but didn't quite find a more subtle way to do it. So they let Assange say something like "That's why my hair is white" twice, and each time I just wanted to hole up in my seat because it just felt... wrong. Don't know how to explain it any better...

Probably the reason it sounds so...wrong....is because it is wrong! Julian doesn't dye his hair and was never part of a cult. WikiLeaks have denied this many times and even if you don't believe them, you can't not believe his own mother:

http://www.news.com.au/national/julian-assanges-mother-tells-of-health-fears-for-wikileaks-founder/story-fncynjr2-1226743379302

(Scroll down to the part where she's talking about the movie)

But even if it is indeed wrong and they wanted to include it for the sake of... whatever, there certainly would have been a way to do this more subtly, casually. Then I just would have registered it without being so... distracted by it.
For me this is the difference between good and bad writing. And if the writing is good,
it's really not that important to me whether or not it's real or ficticious. Of course it always has to make sense in the context of the movie, but that again is a question of good or bad writing.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 5, 2013 12:18 pm  #25

Thanks for the interesting article. But is it true that he and his mother were on the run from his father for several years or was this made up as well?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2013 12:37 pm  #26

SusiGo wrote:

Thanks for the interesting article. But is it true that he and his mother were on the run from his father for several years or was this made up as well?

Sort of! It was his step father, his second step father to be precise. He didn't meet his biological father until he was 22.

His first step dad and his mum split up but it was an amicable split.

His second step dad...they had another kid together - Julian's half brother - and then, when they split up there was a big falling out over custody and a legal battle, during which Julian's mother took the kids and moved, keeping no further contact with her ex-husband who pursued them across the country trying to track them down. This particular guy was quite abusive and violent towards her which was the main reason why she fled him and took the kids...He was actually part of a small cult too, so that part is true, but they only found that out later - he didn't make the kids dye their hair or anything, that's the bit that's been sort of expanded on and I suppose vamped up a bit for the film to make it more dramatic or intriguing, perhaps.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (November 5, 2013 3:52 pm)

November 5, 2013 6:08 pm  #27

I've read Domscheit's book and while it is obviously biased and one-sided, there are probably some elements of truth in it, as well. To be honest, nobody who knows Assange personally has ever described him as a "nice" guy. On the other hand, one of the Polish critics really nailed the question, IMO, by observing that "nice guys do not start revolutions". Still, the movie itself comes out really as a tribute to the idea of Wikileaks and BC did a phenomenal job, by showing that we should thing about what Assange did rather than focus on his personal problems. And I loved the scene between him and Daniel and then the moment he discovers the site has been erased. We are supposed to think that he kind of "lost it" and "brought it on him himself" and may be he did, we will never know. However, there is the intense emotion of hurt and sufference hidden in his eyes, which conveyes perfectly his damaged personality and loneliness. At this moment it's not really important wheter Daniel is "traitor" or "hero": we feel that Assange's shock and pain are genuine and very deep. 

November 5, 2013 7:29 pm  #28

miriel68 wrote:

I've read Domscheit's book and while it is obviously biased and one-sided, there are probably some elements of truth in it, as well. To be honest, nobody who knows Assange personally has ever described him as a "nice" guy. On the other hand, one of the Polish critics really nailed the question, IMO, by observing that "nice guys do not start revolutions". Still, the movie itself comes out really as a tribute to the idea of Wikileaks and BC did a phenomenal job, by showing that we should thing about what Assange did rather than focus on his personal problems. And I loved the scene between him and Daniel and then the moment he discovers the site has been erased. We are supposed to think that he kind of "lost it" and "brought it on him himself" and may be he did, we will never know. However, there is the intense emotion of hurt and sufference hidden in his eyes, which conveyes perfectly his damaged personality and loneliness. At this moment it's not really important wheter Daniel is "traitor" or "hero": we feel that Assange's shock and pain are genuine and very deep. 

I know, that was the part where I almost cried!!

November 10, 2013 12:13 pm  #29

Yesterday, I finally made it into the movie.

First of all, Benedict did an amazing job. His way to play Assange, constantly on the threshold between arrogance, egoism, self-pity and  vulnerability was brilliant.

Overall the movie was very complex but very good. I read a lot of press reviews previously and I can't really understand, why the movie is mainly be judged negatively.

There are some (small) things,  IMO, that could have been done better. The first half of the movie was a bit slow, it took some time until the tension of the movie build up. The computer congress at the beginning seems a bit clichéd and stereotyped to me (the location could have been a scene from Big Bang Theory  ). Also, many of the scenes that took place in Berlin looked like a high polish city-advertisements ("Look how cool this city is!").
At the beginning, Daniel Berg is shown also very clichéd as a naive computer-kid, which seems at first a bit exaggerated to me. BUT, and here I disagree with some of you, the character of Daniel Berg made a hugh development during the movie: blind admiration and enthusiasm at the beginning, then first doubts and disappointments towards Assange, but also sympathy and a feeling of responsibility towards his friend and later on for their matter and for which he finally made a mature decision. IMO this character development is very very good presented by Daniel Brühl. The character of Assange stays on mainly the same level during the movie whereas the character of Berg develops from a naive computer nerd to a responsible grown-up. I had goose bumps at the scene, where Daniel destroys this hugh office (a very good metaphor for the wikileaks organization by the way). Therefore I think Ben and Daniel did both an amazing job and are equal in theire performances!
I also liked the performances of the other actors, especially David Thewlis and Moritz Bleibtreu, the latter was a hugh surprise for me, how good he was.

To a certain extent I can understand, why the movie is not a great success. It is no popcorn-movie, it as a very complex theme and you certainly need to make up your own mind about that. I think the movie does not present a  preconceived opinion whether Julian Assange is a good or a bad boy. Especially the things the character of David Thewlis says in the end were very important to round the story off.

Oh, wow, this was long. I hope, nobody has fallen asleep during my "lecture"  .

P.S.: There are two more things I was happy about, which have nothing to do with the movie content. First I was glad to see the actor of the new Doctor for the first time. Now I am much more convinced that he will fit in the role  . And socond, as a nostlgic Trekkie, I was happy to see Dr. Bashir once again (Alexander Siddig, role Tarek Haliseh)  .

Last edited by stoertebeker (November 10, 2013 12:22 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 11, 2013 12:44 pm  #30

stoertebeker wrote:

There are some (small) things, IMO, that could have been done better. The first half of the movie was a bit slow, it took some time until the tension of the movie build up. The computer congress at the beginning seems a bit clichéd and stereotyped to me (the location could have been a scene from Big Bang Theory ). Also, many of the scenes that took place in Berlin looked like a high polish city-advertisements ("Look how cool this city is!").

I absolutely agree with that. And, in addition, all the scenes in Tacheles, that warehouse ruin, in which a lot of concerts, alternative congresses, club events or theatre performances have taken place especially in the 90s and 2000s, were unbelievably unbelievable The scenes looked posed, ostentatious and ridiculous, and as somebody who has been at that place several times in the past I can easily say: It never looked like that. The persons weren´t authentic at all, the parties neither. The scene on the Berlin Dome - Jesus, what was that!
The rest was better than I have expected it to be, especially the acting was extremely well (although I don´t know whether it´s close to the real persons or not), but as a résumé I wouldn´t say though it´s a good movie. Too many clichés, too less creative input. What could this film have been with a real innovative director - this was nothing (or at least not much), neither in content nor form.

Last edited by anjaH_alias (November 11, 2013 12:53 pm)

March 10, 2014 8:54 pm  #31

Just watched the film once more and I am really impressed again. You don't see any sign of Benedict or any other character he played when he portrays Assange. It's so damned amazing.
Such a pity that this film didn't made it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 10, 2014 9:59 pm  #32

I intend to watch this very soon.
It's such a shame it wasn't a hit; the opinion of the critics seemed to be that Benedict was great in the role, but that the film tried to hard to be balanced and ended up lacking any punch.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

March 10, 2014 9:59 pm  #33

Well I like it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 23, 2014 6:42 pm  #34

I just finished watching this film last night. I didn't much care for it. Benedict did a great job. I agree with Mirie that I simply forgot who Benedict was in the movie, he really became Assange.  But the film was not what I expected. It was based on the recollections of Daniel Berg, and is not a film about Assange per se, or from Assange's point of view.  I didn't find Berg to be a compelling character, as Mirie pointed out. I would have prefered a movie about who Assange is, frankly.   I also found the entire structure of the film to be strange, it just didn't work for me. I can't watch it again.  It was like when I watched "American Hustle". I didn't care for the movie at all - it also had some pacing issues, with certain scenes going on too long, etc. I found myself fast-forwarding through the movie to get to the parts with Jennifer Lawrence (who was phenominal in it). That's probably what I would recommend with TFE - just fast-forward to Benedict's parts!

March 24, 2014 9:51 pm  #35

gently69 wrote:

Just watched the film once more and I am really impressed again. You don't see any sign of Benedict or any other character he played when he portrays Assange. It's so damned amazing.

Agree - Benedict's performance was outstanding. His moves, gestures, way of speaking, face expressions, there was no Benedict there, just like we saw not him but his clone or a twin brother.

I liked the film and how it was made - I think it's good it was Assange who had the last word. I'm not saying it's flawless but it made me interested in the topic so it served its goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Board footera