BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 31, 2013 4:52 pm  #1

The Fifth Estate - our impressions (spoilers)

SolarSystem suggested we could open a new thread for the discussion about TFE: I think it is a splendid idea,  there is surely much to talk about, not only Benedict! 

So, let me start: I've seen it twice, in Poland, last Friday and in Rome (we bravely managed to find the one and only cinema in the whole town giving it in original version). I loved the film and I really don't understand why the reviews are so negative (ok, may be I do understand it a bit, but it's an issue for a later discussion). Ok, of course there are some elements which are less convincing and there are some less inspired director's choices, but on the whole the film is thought provoking and interesting not only because of Benedict. In any case there are some of my random thoughts:

This is not your conventional Hollywood movie. Many critics lamented that it is not "gripping", there is no "real conflict" etc. etc. They are quite right. The story has not been written by the book, following the holy Biblle of a "good script formula". It doesn't fit the genre of political thriller, nor bromance story, for example. Personally, I have no problem with it, but I can understand how irritating it can be for the critics or some viewers who want to watch a story comfortably wrapped into a well-known narrative pattern.
=13pxAlso, while the idea is ambitious, the script is not perfect and an actor less talented than Benedict would probably not manage to pulled it off, with a disastrous effect on the whole movie 

Benedict's perfomance was a masterpiece. Not because he in fact became 
Assange with all his mannerisms (yes, in the movie you don't see BC: he IS his character), but because he was able to convey Assange's charisma and his sense of the mission. He didn't try to make Assange "nice", but it is not the point, really (although, as we have seen, most reviews don't get it). What's important, is that the audience can believe he started something truly revolutionary and this "something" is more pertinent that his personal weaknesses. 

The movie in fact celebrates Wikileaks and its achievements: Assange and his organisation should be rejoicing instead of whining about "propaganda attack". 

Some director's choices which can be felt as disturbing or irritating (for example camera work and the fragmentation of the narrative plot) are a way to remind us that we (audience) do not watch an "objective" reconstruction fo the facts, but Berg's version of the story. This is very clear at the end, which tells us quite clearly that we have just watched "Berg's tale". From this point of view the final "coda": Benedict-Assange comment on the movie makes perfect sense and I am surprised the critics again seem not to have grasp it. 

And this leads us to the greatest problem of the film: it is, from the narrative-structural point of view, Bruhl's movie, not Cumberbatch's movie. However, Bruhl was not able to create a character even remotely as convincing and gripping as is CB's Assange. Given that DB is a very good actor it is probably the script & director to blame. Bruhl's segments in the movie, when BC is not in them, don't add anything important (his love story is one of the most unconvincing elements of the plot) 

While I understand some of the critical remarks made in American & British reviews about the script, Bruhl's love interest, fictional US informant that has tu be smuggled to the safety, music etc., other are, IMO, born from the lack of understanding o/e objectivity towards the movie. For example, the fact that you don't have a clear distinction between bad guy/ good guy we could root for. IMO it is the movie's strength, not weakness. And finally, the fact that the movie doesn't tell us clearly "who is Julian Assange". But do we really need to know? This is not a movie about who JA "is". It is about what he "does", "how" he was able to do it and "why" what he has done is important. 

Oh dear, I could go on and on, but have already tried your patience too much, I fear... 

October 31, 2013 5:25 pm  #2

Re: The Fifth Estate - our impressions (spoilers)

Thanks for opening that thread, miriel!

And wow, that's what I call a great opening! You've mentioned quite a lot of things with which I would fully agree, let me pick out just a few.

First of all (yes, I can't help myself, I have to start with him ), I think that Benedict does a fantastic, phenomenal job in portraying Assange. He really is in the centre of everything, and I have to say that I felt something missing in the scenes he wasn't in.
Just like miriel I felt that Daniel Brühl isn't able to pull it off completely. He has good moments, but the truth is that he just doesn't stand a chance against Benedict. Not because he's a bad actor, not at all, but because the screenplay simply isn't written that way. Brühl reacts, but Benedict is the one to shape the scene, he is the one who carries it all.

Then, miriel mentioned that critics lamented that there is no real conflict. I completely disagree! In the course of the movie a huge conflict develops between Assange and Berg, and I would say that it makes the story even more gripping. It is interesting to see how these two men slowly drift apart, and the film manages to show this in a totally believable way.

There is a lot more to mention, and just like miriel I wouldn't say that the film doesn't have its weaknesses. But I can say that I was pulled into the story from the very first minute until the very end, and for me the movie works. Yes, there are quite a few sub-plots, but they aren't as confusing or dispensable as I'd expected them to be after reading some of the reviews.

I'll definitely watch it a second time.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 31, 2013 6:26 pm  #3

Thank you for opening this thread. I do not have much time at the moment, so just a short remark concerning DB: I think he suffers the fate of many "good guys" - they are not terribly interesting. There is no real conflict in him, he is the nice son with the nice, well-to-do parents, he loves his girlfriend ... the only thing that makes him interesting is his connection to Julian and his increasing disillusionment. IMO he shares some similiarities with John Watson but with the big exception that John is a much more many-layered character although being fictitious.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 3, 2013 10:53 am  #4

Watched it yesterday and was really impressed. In the end I was glad that it was the dubbed version, because especially at the beginning I still found it hard to follow the story.
One of several reasons why I'll have to watch it again. 
I also have problems now expressing my thoughts in English. So:

First of all I noticed the audience. The cinema we went to is quite big and a lot of young people hanging around. When I ordered our tickets I had to repeat it two times, as if they didn't remember the film. When the film started we where only about ten people, the average age about 50 or so. Quite sad.
But then there were no idiots around, so fine with me. 

I think the film did a good job dealing with the question whether Assange is a "good" or a "bad" guy. The result was somewhere in the middle. Strange, egocentric and also dangerous but still very important for the future "world of information". Just like a lot of important people before him.
To keep it short(er): A lot of things I absolutely agree with were already posted above.
DB had - although the narrator of the story - the unthankful "giving" role. Important to move Assange into the spotlight, but at the same time not very impressive. Yes, and I also had to think of Sherlock and John at times. "I don't have friends. I've just got one." Julian bursting into Daniels evening with Anke. The mention of autism.
I have to admit that I was quite often distracted by *that face* so big on the screen. Especially at the end when he was looking directly into the camera. I almost couldn't concentrate on what he (mind: the dubbing voice) said. (Oh, I'm such a fangirl....  )
But still: that last statement - was it an answer to the mail Ben received a day before the shooting started? Or was it written before? What do you think?
Oh - and I really loved those scenes with the biiig office with all those thousands of desks, which started when Daniel discovered that they were only the two of them running the whole organisation, and was repeated several times during the film.

And now I'm waiting for the release of the dvd, so I can watch it undubbed, finally.  (Probably with subtitles  )

Last edited by Mattlocked (November 3, 2013 11:06 am)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 3, 2013 11:58 am  #5

I am waiting for DVD as well, hopefully there will be some deleted scenes, as well (I noticed that some bits from the trailer didn't make it into the film).
I am not sure when they decided about the ending and whether it was a reaction to JA mails. I listened to Brigitta Jonsdottir interview a couple of days before and she said somothing about BC being very concerned about it and DB who was trying to convince him to "take it easy", because it is just a film.
Anyway, I think the ending has a perfect sense, especially if we consider the previous scene - the conversation between Bruhl and Thewlis, when they "explain" the meaning of the film (I just HATE when the movies do that, it's like: sorry guys, we don't trust your intelligence we have to spell it in capital letters for you) and also make it clear that what we have just seen is their personal version of facts. At this point final BC & JA comment is a perfect counterpoint and really a saving grace for the movie: if it had end with that scene in the bar it would have sounded false for me.
Hopefully more comments coming? 

November 3, 2013 12:00 pm  #6

I went again yesterday. The number of people was not too bad and everyone seemed quiet and interested. I understood some of the finer points I had not gotten when watching it for the first time and in English (although I must say you can understand it quite well, especially Benedict as he is speaking very slow, quite contrary to Sherlock).
My first impression was confirmed. IMO all the scenes taking place in Europe presenting real characters are far better than the American angle. To me it seemed clichéd and constructed, moreoever so as no one came to harm due to the publication of the leaks. This seems to be true, there is no proof of informants, etc. being harmed afterwards. 
And of course Benedict is brilliant, trying to show as many sides of Assange as possible without providing the audience with a prefabricated interpretation. Think for yourself, he seems to say. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 3, 2013 12:29 pm  #7

Think for yourself, he seems to say.

That's the point, I think.

And in this case I found the "explanation" of the film quite usefull. But I know what you mean, miriel.

November 4, 2013 3:33 pm  #8

Mattlocked wrote:

And in this case I found the "explanation" of the film quite usefull. But I know what you mean, miriel.

Well, it was not as blatantly explicative as sometimes happens. Had it been the last  scene of the move I would have been really put off by it, but giving  Benedict last word saved the day.
The fact that the movie is more about the issues than about the characters created a no winning scenerio, I think, because it is just the opposite of what an average viewer expects. The audience wants movies about characters, not about the topics. Even critics are whining that the movie doesn't answer the  question who is Assange. Now, it is true that since Condon's film is interested in mechanisms of information and communication, characters are secondary and not really well drawn. In these cases you need really good actors, able to give a human dimension to figures which are merely instrumental to the story and they certainly tried to do it, but it was a very daunting task. Benedict pulled it off flawlessly, Bruhl was far less convincing, Thewlis had his moments and I rather liked Laura Linney character, in spite of its clearly artificial background, but the other figures (van Hutten, Stevens, Vikilander) remained anonymous.                                               

November 4, 2013 6:18 pm  #9

I think Assange would have preferred a movie that focussed entirely on WikiLeaks and the work they have done rather than have anything about him personally, especially as the whole personal side of this movie is a complete fabrication anyway. But of course, there would be no drama in that. It'd just be a documentary about WikiLeaks. I can understand why they have to dramatise certain things and mix up the facts a bit to make it more interesting for an audience.

If Assange was worried that the movie might put people off WikiLeaks then this certainly isn't the case with me seeing as I've become a full blown supporter having seen the film. It's inspired me to read up about the leaks and make my own mind up.

When I watched it I was completely on Julian's side throughout the whole movie, quite possibly because of the fantastic way Benedict portrayed him and just because I found his general rudeness and attitude really amusing and actual Laugh Out Loud funny. To me, it was Daniel who came off as the bad guy and I actually got really angry at him when he disrupted the WikiLeaks uploading platform and almost felt like crying at the way Julian reacted when he saw what they'd done.

I really loved the ending and the breaking of the fourth wall, thought that was pretty spectacular and kind of made up for some of the bias of the movie because they were essentially saying that this is only one portrayal and we should think for ourselves and make up our own minds. So yes, this is what I've done, and I'm firmly on Julian's side. Daniel is a prick.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

November 4, 2013 8:12 pm  #10

Just wanted to leave this link here, because this is definitely one of my favourite scenes of the movie (and we've been talking about it in another thread):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMCSsw4_W8M

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

November 4, 2013 8:41 pm  #11

Thank you so much, Solar, it's a brilliant scene. 

November 4, 2013 8:54 pm  #12

...especially as the whole personal side of this movie is a complete fabrication anyway.

Is it? I mean, it's based on the book written by Daniel, so there are some of his experiences with Julian shown?
Which reminds me of: What about that "hair" thing? In the film Julian talked twice about why his hair is white and I started thinking: "Oh my, what is so interesting about his hair colour!? Why do they mention it all the time?" Until at the end there was this explanation that he's dyeing it because of the organisation he lived in as a child. Truth or fiction?

And: thank you, Solar!! 

November 4, 2013 8:59 pm  #13

...especially as the whole personal side of this movie is a complete fabrication anyway.
Isn't most of our lives complete fabrication? It doesn't apply to movies only, imho 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 4, 2013 9:01 pm  #14

Harriet wrote:

Isn't most of our lives complete fabrication?....

Yeah, on facebook. 

November 4, 2013 9:04 pm  #15

Why do you think so, Boss? Did they not keep true to Daniel's book or did he lie in the book? I did not read it myself. 

November 4, 2013 9:05 pm  #16

Come on, you know pretty well that I am having one of my radical constructivist moments 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 4, 2013 9:08 pm  #17

I know, I know....

Now let me distract you with another favourite scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEnkLy-Weo

November 4, 2013 9:23 pm  #18

Mattlocked wrote:

Which reminds me of: What about that "hair" thing? In the film Julian talked twice about why his hair is white and I started thinking: "Oh my, what is so interesting about his hair colour!? Why do they mention it all the time?" Until at the end there was this explanation that he's dyeing it because of the organisation he lived in as a child. Truth or fiction?

And: thank you, Solar!!

My pleasure!

As for the "hair thing": I don't know about truth or fiction, I only know that each time it was mentioned in the film I felt kind of uncomfortable. Or to put it another way: I felt as if those moments were the weaker ones of the film, because it felt a bit like bad writing. To me it came across a bit clumsy, as if they'd wanted to include it in the film but didn't quite find a more subtle way to do it. So they let Assange say something like "That's why my hair is white" twice, and each time I just wanted to hole up in my seat because it just felt... wrong. Don't know how to explain it any better...

November 4, 2013 9:29 pm  #19

You don't have to, I felt exactly the same. 

November 4, 2013 9:36 pm  #20

I like the Russian scene a lot, too. It's so great to watch him all uncomfortable, insecure, vulnerable, even scared.

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 4, 2013 9:39 pm)

Board footera