BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 26, 2013 7:51 pm  #421

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2013

Schmiezi wrote:

Well, the warning does not say "Don't read it!", it basically says "Only read it if you don't mind the mentioned topics".

I think it is only fair to let everyone decide for themselfes if they want to try it or not. For some people, child abuse does not have to be described in detail to trigger something.

I deliberately left the child abuse out of my last comment, because that would definitely have got a warning, since I know it can trigger people. All I said was that the level of violence otherwise isn't something that would have made me give a warning.
That said I appreciate that when it comes to descriptions of violence we have different thresholds for what we think is graphic/explicit. Mine is above what appears in this fic, that doesn't mean that it shouldn't carry a warning if others feel that it should, just that there isn't always a magic way of figuring out when to warn for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

December 26, 2013 7:57 pm  #422

Maybe we should move the topic back to telling the unknown author what a wonderful job she (?) did. I'm right into Chapter 14 now and IMO Sherlock's emotions are depicted brilliantly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 26, 2013 8:05 pm  #423

Schmiezi wrote:

Maybe we should move the topic back to telling the unknown author what a wonderful job she (?) did. I'm right into Chapter 14 now and IMO Sherlock's emotions are depicted brilliantly.

I concur wholeheartedly. And I won't spoil things, but just wait till you get to the epilogue. Or should I say epiclogue because anon, this is very, very good .

You have a treat in wait for you Schmiezi .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

December 26, 2013 11:20 pm  #424

I'm in the process of reading Nova but wanted to jump in on the "post it elsewhere" topic. AO3 has a "collections" process. If one of us creates a collection for them (I'm happy to do that) then we can all add them to the collection and they'll all be linked together that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 27, 2013 4:01 am  #425

Nova

Wow I was totally absorbed in reading and just had to finish it. It's beautifully written and I enjoyed it immensely. I would write more but it's 5 AM here Let me just say that it took me a good ten minutes but I solved the anagram! I'm so proud of myself

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

December 27, 2013 7:21 am  #426

Nova

A beautifully written piece, I read it through quickly because I always just want to know what happens first, but I'm going to t re read it tonight and savour it.
Unless your fic request was fluff or humour it is hard to write a completely family friendly fanfic that meets some of the more complex  themes eg hurt/ comfort or angst . I had the same dilemma and I wasn't completely sure I was 100% family friendly in mine either.  perhaps we should allow warnings next time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

December 27, 2013 9:48 am  #427

Nova

Wow, this was really good, lots of angst and gripping scenes. Mycroft's part in all this is really dubious although I understand his motives. The characterisation of Sherlock's distress and John's concern is very moving.  ​
Still working on the little extra, though. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2013 9:54 am  #428

I haven't read the last three stories yet due to christmal-family-stuff, but I would like to comment the previous ones.

This time it's personal
I like case-fics. There are far to little good case-fics out there. But I am aware how hard it is to write them. So I am glad you did! I hope though, we'll never got that things happen in the series , poor Mary. I liked how you described the relationship between Sherlock and John and how Sherlock tries in his own way help John with his grief.

Love is not an Advantage
Oh no, this was creepy! I mean it as a compliment, of course . Sherlocks feelings, sorrow, confusion, fear and love were shown very good. Please please please continue the story! We all need to now, whether Sherlock can save John. He has to save him.

I'll read and comment the other stories within the next few days.

About the idea of a master list I fully agree. I would prefer a link list here in the forum. I'm planning to publish my story on fanfiction.net but not on AO3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 27, 2013 12:27 pm  #429

Wholocked wrote:

I'm in the process of reading Nova but wanted to jump in on the "post it elsewhere" topic. AO3 has a "collections" process. If one of us creates a collection for them (I'm happy to do that) then we can all add them to the collection and they'll all be linked together that way.

I'm on AO3 and was going to do this, but if you want to create one please go ahead. I've never made a collection before and am slightly confused by the process.

December 27, 2013 12:28 pm  #430

stoertebeker wrote:

About the idea of a master list I fully agree. I would prefer a link list here in the forum. I'm planning to publish my story on fanfiction.net but not on AO3.

That intrigues me. Can I ask why you prefer ff.net? I find it's formatting and options very limiting as a reader; I haven't tried posting to it as a writer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 27, 2013 12:34 pm  #431

Awesome! Just saw the list of who wrote what! 

Thank-you very much Ormond!!!  I really enjoyed the fic 

-------------------------------------------------------

December 27, 2013 12:36 pm  #432

Thank you for the wonderful present, NotYourHousekeeperDear. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2013 12:41 pm  #433

Okay. The list of the who wrote a fic for who is now up. I decided to put it at the end of the story thread, I don't know if that was what Kerkian planned to do, but it seemed as good a place as any.

I've also created a thread where we can put up the links if - when - we repost our stories. You can find it here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=113283#p113283
I really hope everyone reposts because they were all so good they really should be spread to a wider readership.

I'm not sure I'm all that coherent right now, my mind is still stuck in "The Boss wrote my fic, The Boss wrote my fic" mode. And Boss it really was brilliant. Both you and Sherwing should write more detective stories if you don't already, you have a talent for it. Both "This time it's personal" and "Nova" is extrememly good.

December 27, 2013 12:47 pm  #434

Sherwing, where did you post your other fics? Because that cannot have been your first, and I really, really want to read more!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 27, 2013 12:51 pm  #435

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Okay. The list of the who wrote a fic for who is now up. I decided to put it at the end of the story thread, I don't know if that was what Kerkian planned to do, but it seemed as good a place as any.

I've also created a thread where we can put up the links if - when - we repost our stories. You can find it here: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=113283#p113283
I really hope everyone reposts because they were all so good they really should be spread to a wider readership.

I'm not sure I'm all that coherent right now, my mind is still stuck in "The Boss wrote my fic, The Boss wrote my fic" mode. And Boss it really was brilliant. Both you and Sherwing should write more detective stories if you don't already, you have a talent for it. Both "This time it's personal" and "Nova" is extrememly good.

Hehe, I understand that mode completely! When I got who I was writing for, I was pretty nervous as heck "I can't believe I'm writing the fic for the Boss!" eeek! 
And again, thank-you very much for the compliment!  I'm glad you enjoyed my story 
Everyone here did such a fantastic job! We should do this again! 

December 27, 2013 12:51 pm  #436

Schmiezi wrote:

Sherwing, where did you post your other fics? Because that cannot have been your first, and I really, really want to read more!

That's what I want to know too.

December 27, 2013 12:52 pm  #437

Schmiezi wrote:

Well, it actually is my first completed fic.  I have a WIP that I started working on in October.

Last edited by SilverMoonDragonB (December 27, 2013 12:54 pm)

December 27, 2013 12:55 pm  #438

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

That's what I want to know too.

This is my page on AO3, but like I said above, there's just the WIP I started working on in October. Nova is my first completed fic 

http://archiveofourown.org/users/Sherwings/pseuds/Sherwings

December 27, 2013 1:00 pm  #439

Thanks Wholocked once again for the awesome fic!

I will need some time now to figure out who wrote what ;-). Cheers to everyone, this was so much fun!

The Game is On!

December 27, 2013 1:11 pm  #440

Marva wrote:

Thanks Wholocked once again for the awesome fic!

I will need some time now to figure out who wrote what ;-). Cheers to everyone, this was so much fun!

It truly was! Writing based on a prompt was honestly more enjoyable than I thought it would be.  And the result from everyone involved was amazing!

Board footera