BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2013 8:28 am  #361

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2013

Gosh, I am terribly behind with commenting the Santa stories, so this will be a bit longer. Sorry!

Another First Encounter
Chapeau! I would have been stranded with this prompt. Including the vampire theme like this was a very clever idea . I normally don't read AU, but this one was quite good. The alternate getting to know between Sherlock and John was realistic and I like the attraction between the two you described they had from the beginning.

John, Sherlock, texting, getting drunk
Oh, I love those clever little one-shots which contains only text messages between John and Sherlock. It always suprises me, how good a story can work just with these short sentences. And Sherlock drunk is hilarious ("people are peopling"). Well done.

Whatever works
Perfect fluff for a sunday! I like the idea that John doesn't understand or recognise his feelings for Sherlock and that it needs some time to develope. The last scene in bed was very sweet (“I want to kiss you" ).

What it Means to be Family
Wow, very professional written. I like the quote at the beginning and it fits perfectly. Lestrade is one of my favorite characters in Sherlock (besides of the boys of course) so I am glad to read a story with him. I like the idea of him being some kind of father-figure to Sherlock and Sherlock showing him that he respects Lestrade and cares for him also. Very good!!

I am so impressed how many differently stories we got so far!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 17, 2013 5:21 pm  #362

Tomorrow is my last major exam before I get Christmas break, so I apologize for not having any feedback for anyone! I had embryology/histology yesterday, anatomy today, and the midterm to biostatistics tomorrow. We're on a trimester system, so I am already in the second trimester of the year.

I promise, I will read and review every single one, though! Thank you all for being so patient with a pathetic medical student.

December 17, 2013 5:24 pm  #363

What it Means to be a Family

Oooh, I'm so happy about 'my' story!! It was truly wonderful, I really like a paternal Lestrade caring for Sherlock. And it was heart-warming to see how Sherlock cares about him, too - loved the idea that Sherlock called Donovan so that Lestrade could have a day off and treating the burn on his hand... so many great moments.

And I had to laugh out loud about these:
- “Oh, I’ve been promoted from idiot.”
- "Go and appreciate my sock drawer, or something.”

Thank you so much, dear anonymous author!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

December 17, 2013 8:04 pm  #364

What it Means to be a Family

A great  and beautifully written story it is. Lestrade's paternal feelings towards Sherlock, and in turn how he is a father figure to Sherlock is so endearing to read   I really wish I could see something similar in series three 

December 17, 2013 9:53 pm  #365

What it Means to Be Family

Excellent story, just excellent. Sometimes we get so hung up in worrying about our 'blood' family and how good/bad they are that we forget about the other people around us who take care of us, too. Heartwarming and of course, I'd love to see more! (I think I've said that about them all )

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

December 18, 2013 4:28 pm  #366

Hello lovelies,

I'd just like to know if there's anybody who'd rather remain anonymous when the writers of the fics are revealed after Christmas.
You can send me an email if that's the case, I'll take your name off the list then.

Ta!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 19, 2013 8:07 pm  #367

Dear Kerkerian and the lovely anonymous author,

Thank you SO MUCH for my story! What a lovely thing to get me into the holiday spirit! Sherlock's quirky "Oh good, you're awake" was just perfection. And the bit of John's text at the end was absolutely wonderful. I so appreciate it!!

December 19, 2013 10:22 pm  #368

What a nice idea to have Sherlock give Lestrade a present in the form of a solved cold case (even if he chose not the ideal moment). This is exactly what he would come up with. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 20, 2013 12:08 am  #369

Yes! This fic was very cute with Sherlock trying, and failing, to be a supportive friend! I love John stepping in and being all "Yep okay we're done now let's go" hehehe.

Poor sic Lestrade

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 21, 2013 7:27 am  #370

Hey all,

so far, I didn't get any messages about the revealing of the names, therefore I assume every single one of the authors is fine with being revealed after Christmas.

If you haven't seen my other reminder and are having second thoughts now, it's the last chance to notify me, since I'll be gone after tomorrow.

Cheers!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

December 21, 2013 12:45 pm  #371

This Time It's Personal.

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you anonymous. I think I might be in love with you.
When I stipulated a deduction in my requirements I had no idea what I'd end up with, I know how hard they are to do properly so I knew that whoever got it had their work cut out for them, but this is everything I could have dreamed of and more.
I might be able to give a more detailed response later but right now I'm too caught up in enjoying and re-reading the story. It's definitely going on the rec list.

Once again, thank you for this.

Last edited by Ormond Sacker (December 21, 2013 12:47 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

December 22, 2013 9:02 am  #372

This Time It's Personal.

I'm sorry for not commenting on it sooner, I've just read it this morning!

A case fic! Wonderful. Clearly written by someone who knows the Canon, given the ammount of names in it that sound familiar.
During the scene at the post office I could really hear Sherlock's voice in my head, while he was doing his "why, why ..." thinking. Well done.
The author must have given the plot loads of thought, and it was worth it. It even includes Sherlock on the wrong track for a while.
And the ending: Lovely.
I enjoyed reading it a lot. Well done, unknown author!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 22, 2013 9:15 am  #373

This Time It's Personal

I really enjoyed this one too. It had a nice mix of friendship stuff, angsty john, casefic and sherlock being sherlock. Loved it. Agree with all Schmiezi said too

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

December 22, 2013 11:09 am  #374

Hey hey,

I'm off now, right after I've posted today's story (and by coincidence, it's the one for me- really, I didn't cheat in the draw).

I wish you all a very happy Christmas and New Year, which is so freaking special this time because of our long awaited favourite TV show's return!

Take care and enjoy the holidays,
all the best from Kerkerian

December 22, 2013 11:20 am  #375

This Time It's Personal

Wow, I'm very impressed, dear anonymous author! I wouldn't have had a clue what to do if I'd had to write a case fic (or a deduction, for that matter), so really: bravo! It worked perfectly for me, and I have to say that normally I'm not really all that keen on case fics. But you incorporated Mary as well as CAM, and that's probably what did it for me.
I very much liked the boys hugging in the end.

Last edited by SolarSystem (December 22, 2013 11:25 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 22, 2013 11:33 am  #376

Love Is Not An Advantage

Dear anonymous author, hats off, this is courageous. I would never dare to leave off at this point but the angst is so convincing. I love how Sherlock starts in a rational way and then has to accept that his feelings for John come in the way of his cool deductions. And I am sure he will figure out how to get out of the cell and get to John and rescue him and finally tell him … 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 22, 2013 2:46 pm  #377

This Time It's Personal

A case fic in which the deductions are very convincing! The case itself is a thrilling one! I enjoyed it thoroughly. It always make me happy to find the canon references. Thank you so much for a brilliant story, unknown author

Love Is Not An Advantage
I was refreshing the page to see if the next instalment of this fic was uploaded as I was so engrossed by this storyI really want to see Sherlock saving John  and I'm right now rely on my imagination, especially after reading Susi's comment! Oh, the end would be so endearing

Btw, this story brought to my mind my first and  last attempt at a Sherlock Holmes story after being captivated by canon. It was like, an unexpected visit by Mary which immediately led Holmes realise that something bad happend to Watson, and  together they tried to find out Watson, who was abducted. But I couldn't make it to even the second para..

Last edited by holmes23 (December 22, 2013 5:08 pm)

December 22, 2013 3:31 pm  #378

This Time It's Personal
I enjoyed this story! It is well thought-out and even gives a glimpse into Sherlock's "human-ness" ala Moftiss. Of course it is left wide open at the end and perhaps not meant to be Johnlock, but, hey, once you put on the slash goggles...well, you know! Great story!

Love is Not An Advantage
This is another one I enjoyed but felt that there should be more to it; however! many of the greatest authors leave you hanging at the end in order to figure out where you think the story goes, so I must give you kudos and once again I say "Well done!"

*******************************************************************************************************************
I haven't disappeared completely, I've just been busy writing

December 22, 2013 5:19 pm  #379

Love is Not An Advantage

NOOOOOO. How could you end it there??? Dear unknown author, let me pay you the biggest compliment of all: Write more. NOW.

Wonderful insight into Sherlock's mind, very thrilling, so deep feelings in such a short fic.

Are you already writing more? No? Off you go then!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 22, 2013 7:15 pm  #380

Love Is Not An Advantage

Cruel, very cruel! And at the same very convincing, very gripping, very emotional! The title gives this fic another layer to it, just because it made me think 'yes, Mycroft seems to be very, very right'. In this case Sherlck's love for John really doesn't seem to be advantageous.
And another thought: Oh God, why didn't he tell John...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera