BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2012 9:52 am  #1

Be Like Sherlock

So if you wanted to be more like Sherlock...what kind of things would you need to learn, study, take up, do etc? I started making a list (so I can start working on some of them!) and came up with 16 items so far. Let's see if you can come up with the same ones I did and whether you can think of any more that might make the list...then we can all start studying!!

1. Be more observant of people and the world around you - Try to look at peoples' clothes, hands, shoes, faces etc and pick up little details.
2. Learn to play the violin - or if you already play, practice it a bit more!
3. Study chemistry - and maybe buy some equipment so you can start doing experiments ie. test tubes, bunsen burner

OK your turn...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

March 25, 2012 10:23 am  #2

Re: Be Like Sherlock

4. Learn how to guess other people's passwords for their laptops.
5. Start to memorise all the streets in your home town, whether they are one-way, have traffic lights etc.
6. Practice memory techniques , like the Mind Palace

Another 3 to be getting on with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2012 11:00 am  #3

7, Use 'safe' drugs to enhance your mental prowess. (Stock up on nicotine patches)
8. Do not eat while thinking, it wastes energy.
9. Do not sleep while solving puzzles. Plenty of time later for that.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 11:00 am  #4

9.  Get yourself a live-in ordinary person who blogs about you.
10. Be yourself.
11. Learn how not to care about what people think about you.

Last edited by tobeornot221b (March 25, 2012 11:01 am)

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 25, 2012 12:49 pm  #5

These are good - keep 'em coming!

12. Maintain high levels of physical fitness.
13. Learn the basics of law and courtroom procedures.
14. Study different types of tobacco ash.

March 26, 2012 11:44 am  #6

15. Keep body parts in your fridge and microwave.

Nobody thought of that? 

Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 26, 2012 9:01 pm  #7

Get:
16.  A fabulous central London apartment.
17.  A good coat
18.  A short friend

March 26, 2012 9:09 pm  #8

Hee Hee! Good ones!
19. Study poisons
20. Study geology
21. Learn to drive-if you haven't already done so

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 26, 2012 10:02 pm  #9

Davina wrote:

21. Learn to drive-if you haven't already done so

In my case, I'd have to learn to drive by the wrong side of the road!! 

22. Make your roomate's dates a living hell (poor Sarah, poor Jeanette...)

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

March 27, 2012 1:13 pm  #10

You mean the correct side of the road! The left-hand side.

March 27, 2012 2:00 pm  #11

Davina wrote:

You mean the correct side of the road! The left-hand side.

It only depends on the side you're looking from 
Off topic: I had a lot of trouble when I went to London because I really didn't know where to look when crossing the streets... my neck suffered a lot... I looked to the right, but then my instinct told me I still had to look to the left, but then I thought "I'm in England, I have to look to the right"... A nightmare 

March 27, 2012 3:41 pm  #12

It can be quite dangerous when you are driving or walking around a country when they drive on the other side of the road. Clearly this happens more to us Brits than to most other folks around the world! Off to Canada on Saturday so will have to get some practice in! Lol

March 27, 2012 5:51 pm  #13

23. Learn hand to hand combat.
24. Get a Blackberry.
25. Learn how to break ciphers and codes.

March 27, 2012 7:41 pm  #14

This can be a difficult one:

26. Ignore sex.

March 28, 2012 4:48 am  #15

I'm trying out the not sleeping or eating thing. Yesterday I survived off just caffeine. I was fine till the evening came then I started to feel completely wired and hyper and thinking of loads of crazy Sherlock theories. Didn't go to bed till 3am and now I'm awake again at 5am, probably because of all the caffeine. Starting to feel a little hungry now too. It's all been rather enjoyable though none the less.

March 28, 2012 4:59 am  #16

I know exactly what you mean! So many times that I wake up in the middle of the night over a dream I had about a theory or a dialogue. Whenever I don't rember the exact words it would kind of torture me and prevent me from falling asleep again. But: rather enjoyable, as you said, SherlockHolmes!
And it's in fact so that I dream in English...

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 28, 2012 5:03 am  #17

Two points here.
1. Sherlock only did the no sleeping thing when he was on a case; it was more to do with not breaking the conscious cycle, npt breaking a train of thought just to sleep. Without a mind bending puzzle, it wouldn't work.
2. people are all wired differently; what works for some doesn't work for others. Ordinary people need sleep to recharge the brain so don't apply 'Sherlock 101" during important times, like exams etc.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 28, 2012 6:09 am  #18

Er guys, Sherlock obsessions CAN become unhealthy. Please don't do things like fail to eat, sleep, or try wearing multiple nicotine patches, unless you particularly want to make yourself ill. It's fun to play a little "Sherlock" but let's keep it reasonable, eh?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

March 28, 2012 7:34 am  #19

Haha, I love you guys being concerned over me, that's sweet. I'm not doing it again today!

March 31, 2012 10:03 am  #20

Board footera