BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2013 5:59 pm  #1

Secret Santa?

Hey all,

no idea whether this was done on this site already, but I was wondering whether we should organize a Secret Santa Fan Fic Project.
Meaning those of us who write fanfics could participate and should be willing to write a little piece if they do. I know it's done in the Harry Potter fandom and it seems like fun, it's like a mini-challenge.

This is how it works:
Those who want to participate submit and enter a few keywords (something they wish to read about in the fic they'll get), and once all participants are accounted for, everyone is secretly distributed one of the challenges which they then have to write. Writing starts in the middle of November, the first story is published on December 1, the second on the following day and so on. If there are more writers than days, there are several new stories per day. The stories are published anonymously, it's only revealed for whom they are, true Secret Santa style. After Christmas, the writers can be revealed.

Since you can already buy Christmas sweets in the shops, I was in a holiday mood. 
What do you think?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 26, 2013 7:33 pm  #2

Re: Secret Santa?

Wonderful! I like the idea. 
Will there be a minimum of words to write? I am not an experienced writer, but I would like to join.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

October 26, 2013 8:17 pm  #3

Very nice idea, Kerkerian. The question of length is important to me as I do not have very much time to write. 

Last edited by SusiGo (October 26, 2013 8:54 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 26, 2013 8:52 pm  #4

That's a good question, stoertebeker, and Susi certainly has a point there.
Maybe we can agree on a minimum of 221 words (I think "221B"s are quite popular).

I have to go now, I'll be back for further discussion tomorrow!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 26, 2013 8:53 pm  #5

I might be in as well 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 26, 2013 8:54 pm  #6

Sounds like fun. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 26, 2013 8:56 pm  #7

Actually, I'm not into fun, more into drama! 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 26, 2013 10:03 pm  #8

This could be interesting...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 26, 2013 10:18 pm  #9

Harriet wrote:

Actually, I'm not into fun, more into drama!

I was talking about the writing. I love drama/angst! 

October 27, 2013 1:33 am  #10

Hehe, this could be interesting and certainly quite fun!  I'd consider participating 

-------------------------------------------------------

October 27, 2013 7:30 am  #11

Count me in, too! It's been ages since I wrote fanfiction, but whatever... Sounds like a fun idea

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

October 27, 2013 9:57 am  #12

Wow, that's great! Sounds like we'll do it!

I'm going to open a new thread for it then, which will contain the necessary information and eventually be the place to host the stories. I'll post the link to it in this one.

Everyone who'd like to participate can send me the following details via PM:
- their pen name/the name they'd like to see announced when the authors'll be revealed after Christmas
- their wishes for the story they'll get: say maybe up to three things regarding genre (you can get your drama, Harriet ), and you can also name characters and pairings (please be specific whether or not it should be friendship or romance)
- if someone is uncomfortable writing about same sex pairings (or anything else), they should please say so
- if there's something you don't, under no circumstances, want to read (or write) about, please also say so

Since the stories will be posted in the soon-to-be-thread (if that's okay with the mods at all), the content should be suitable for most ages and there shouldn't be any explicit sex scenes/ gore/ violence. Furthermore, there shouldn't be any spoilers for the new season.

Registration will end on November 10, that way I can sort it all out and distribute the Secret Santas so that the writing can begin on November 15.
(I'll put all the names in a bag and draw, along with the December date- that way it's a genuine Secret Santa )

Did I forget something? Are you okay with the above mentioned stuff?
*rubs hands excitedly* This IS fun!

October 27, 2013 10:23 am  #13

Kerkerian wrote:

- their wishes for the story they'll get: say maybe up to three things regarding genre,
and you can also name characters and pairings (please be specific whether or not it should be friendship or romance)

What do you mean with "the story they'll get" - our task to write or what we would like to read?
My brain is a little slow today 

October 27, 2013 10:37 am  #14

Harriet wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

- their wishes for the story they'll get: say maybe up to three things regarding genre,
and you can also name characters and pairings (please be specific whether or not it should be friendship or romance)

What do you mean with "the story they'll get" - our task to write or what we would like to read?
My brain is a little slow today

That's okay, it's Sunday after all. Am slow too today.
I meant what they'd like to read.

October 27, 2013 10:39 am  #15

What a wonderful idea! Count me in.

And thank you for doing all the organisation, Kerkerian!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 27, 2013 10:44 am  #16

Schmiezi wrote:

What a wonderful idea! Count me in.

And thank you for doing all the organisation, Kerkerian!

Yay!

You're very welcome, I'm looking forward to it!

October 27, 2013 1:59 pm  #17

Great idea, I'm definitely in. And thank you for doing the hard work of organising this Kerkerian 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 27, 2013 4:08 pm  #18

I love the idea, Kerkerian, sounds great! And if we're 'only' talking about something like 221 words, count me in, as well. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 30, 2013 4:58 pm  #19

Just to push this upward a little bit 

October 30, 2013 6:40 pm  #20

I sent my PM already. 

Board footera