BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2013 10:46 pm  #21

Re: National Theatre: 50 years on stage

Oh my living lord.
Andrew Scott was magnificent.
I was sobbing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 2, 2013 11:20 pm  #22

BB, what character did Andrew play and what scene did they do?   AIA is one of my all time favorites.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 2, 2013 11:34 pm  #23

Was at the stage door. met andrew scott and roger allam and caught a glimpse of ben.:-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 2, 2013 11:35 pm  #24

Well I was going to give the youtube link, but of course I can't paste it on here!
It's 'Angels in America' with Dominic Cooper.
So at least you can search for it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 3, 2013 12:04 am  #25

Oh yes, Andrew was so good...! I almost couldn't breathe, it was so captivating. Wow, just wow.
And Ben... I thought the scene was a little short, but nevertheless I constantly had to laugh and enjoyed it tremendously.
What a great evening!

And tobe: have sweet dreams then tonight!

Here's the link to Andrew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPDNIaaMPmE

Last edited by SolarSystem (November 3, 2013 12:12 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 3, 2013 12:51 am  #26

tobeornot221b wrote:

Was at the stage door. met andrew scott and roger allam and caught a glimpse of ben.:-)

So, and why am I the one which still can't sleep?? 
I envy you. And thanks again for all the "live info". 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

November 3, 2013 4:36 am  #27

Watched clips from both Andrew and Ben.   Just left me wanting more!  I know want to see Andrew in an entire production of AIA.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 3, 2013 8:07 am  #28

Yep, my thoughts entirely.
Would love to see Andrew and Dominic do the whole production.

November 3, 2013 1:35 pm  #29

tobeornot221b wrote:

Tobe, just as soon as you are able - details please!  We want details!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

November 4, 2013 1:53 am  #30

This is all too much awesome!   What a great celebration of the long-running culture of one theatre… watched just the clips of Ben's and Andrew's pieces so far - wonderful.  And the dedication-to-theatre type toast/monologue at the end and celebratory bowing….  :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztbml7xfqvA

It's like I don't know what to do with it all!   Making me even more excited for the opportunity to see Frankenstein very soon!   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

November 4, 2013 5:36 am  #31

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, happy, happy you! And now tell us everything about it in epic length!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 4, 2013 11:26 am  #32

Once again I must say, put this out on DVD and they would make tons of money for the theater. 
I can understand a point of view that wants to maintain the "live" aspect of theater but there are so many people who don't have the ways or the means.  I say share the wealth. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 4, 2013 3:15 pm  #33

BTW Roger Allam was also great and he was doing BC part from "Copenhagen"!  But my number 1 (sorry, Benedict!) was Helen Mirren in "Mourning becomes Electra". Wow, it gave me shrills. What a brilliant actress. Surprisingly, I wasn't blown away by Judi Dench, instead.

November 4, 2013 4:36 pm  #34

Jeez, I forgot about him.
You are right, he was brilliant.

November 4, 2013 7:26 pm  #35

tobeornot221b wrote:

Oh, lucky lucky you! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 4, 2013 10:09 pm  #36

tonnaree wrote:

Once again I must say, put this out on DVD and they would make tons of money for the theater. 
I can understand a point of view that wants to maintain the "live" aspect of theater but there are so many people who don't have the ways or the means.  I say share the wealth. 

That's not the problem - the problem is that they don't have agreements with the cast for a DVD release. It would have to be written into their performance contract. Plus, it can be quite expensive to get the rights to sell a play's performance in that way - I imagine NT could swing that. I was surprised they were able to get rights to put it in cinemas, let alone release it on DVD. But anyway, main point is that the actor's contracts don't allow for a DVD release.

besleybean wrote:

Oh my living lord.
Andrew Scott was magnificent.
I was sobbing.

Really? I watched the clip and it seemed a bit over done to me; but it may have been different live on stage. Theatre acting is always just a tad over-the-top so they can reach the whole audience!

Last edited by Wholocked (November 4, 2013 10:12 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

November 5, 2013 3:17 am  #37

*sigh*  Didn't think of that.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

November 5, 2013 4:07 pm  #38

Finally, here's my report of Saturday, November 2nd, 2013.
London, National Theatre, stage door. Roughly 6 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.

In the first place: Apologies
The combination of me being the worst photographer in the world (about only 2 percent of my photos can be looked at without feeling sick), a chilly wind at quite low temperatures, inappropriate clothing, poor preparation (always desperately looking for a marker and something that can be signed by whoever, low phone battery…) and being in a certain excitement of things to come didn't generate the best results.

My daughter (Miss Camembert, inactive member of this board) and I had missed the rehearsal event on the previous day though we finally made it to the NT after coming from an appointment with a friend which took us longer than expected. So: Wrong time, wrong place (we had gone to the main entrance instead of heading to the stage door – silly us!).

Saturday. 6 p.m.
There were some thirty people waiting at the stage door. Among them there were about 10 to 15 girls, apparently waiting for Ben and some guys who looked like professional autograph hunters – going by their well-organized equipment (folders with individual bags in them) and their warm coats…

Among the first to arrive were Ben's parents and Ralph Fiennes. They were dropped off by cars in front of the stage door. There came more actors I didn't know, but then Roger Allam arrived and took his time to talk to the fans and signed some stuff.

Meanwhile, the girl standing next to us said that Ben had arrived hours ago. So – no chance to meet him at that time…

Next one to arrive was Andrew Scott. He apparently was in quite a hurry and looked as if already being focussed on his subsequent performance. Nevertheless, he signed stuff and took photos with some fans. My daughter didn't have anything on her to be signed – the only thing at hand was a picture postcard from London – already addressed and stamped in order to being sent to her friend. Andrew signed it for her (you can see this in the picture on the right). Of course, she kept that postcard and bought her friend a different one. Wonder why…

One of the last to arrive was Judy Dench and she was warmly welcomed by everyone.
At the same time, the above mentioned fangirls began to sigh collectively – a sure sign of Ben being in sight.
Fortunately, the stage door is a glass door. We hurried toward it and tried to get a glimpse of what was going on behind it. Reflected by a mirror, there was Ben standing, surrounded by some people he was talking to. He took off his black sweater and showed a white T-shirt.
Looking at these blurry pictures - taken by a camera being held by a shaking hand - I hope you at least get the idea…

Thereafter, we straight went to Waterloo station to warm up and have some hot tea. And after a visit to a pub we managed to watch the end of the show on TV in our hotel.

Haven't seen the whole show yet but I recorded it. Heard a lot of positive response and now I'm looking forward to watching it.

John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

November 5, 2013 4:14 pm  #39

Thank you so much, Tobe, this is really exciting. Wonderful pics of Roger and Andrew. And I understand so well that your hands was shaking - still, you can recognise him and I am sure he charms people even through mirrors and windowpanes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 5, 2013 4:17 pm  #40

Sounds like a adventure to remember. Hope you didn't catch a cold!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera