BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 23, 2013 2:41 am  #21

Re: Benedict on TIME international edition (Help!)

jenosborn wrote:

James Norrington wrote:

@jenosborn: I'd so love to scan my copy and share it with you but unfortunately I'm not having access to a scanner at the moment!

aww,  so nice of you to offer James!    Well,  on an off-chance a forum-ite scores an extra
copy,  (or tires of their own)    (yes I know that won't happen),   feel free to private msg me!   -jen

Erf.... vice versa!!   Was wondering if anyone would be so kind to even take a few pictures of the article, if nothing else, and message it to, if you don't want to broadcast it right in the open.

Also....  cool story!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 23, 2013 2:34 pm  #22

James Norrington wrote:

Haha, I went to a shop yesterday to buy chewing gum and then I found this magazine and Benedict right looking at me! Of course I had to buy it and then the shop assistant was looking at the paper and then asked me: "Now seriously, WHO is this guy?! There have been several people today buying this paper who usually never do and now she keeps thinking it is because of this person on the title page.
Of course I was overly happy to explain to her who Benedict is and why he is such a fantastic person and she even wrote down his name and some film titles. Absolutely made my day! :D

I haven't finished reading the article yet but will do soon!

Just bought it and I had a similar experience.
I got the last issue and the bloke at the counter just gave me this look and said: "It's Wednesday."
Me: "Yes?"
Bloke: "You just bought the last issue of Time."
Me: "So?"
Bloke: "It's F- Wednesday and we're sold out of Time, that's never happened in all the years I've worked here. Plus you’re the fourth woman today to buy it, I sell that magazine to possibly four women a week."
Me: "So?"
Bloke: "What's up?"
Me: "This guy." *taps the front page*
Bloke: *Stares at the page*. "Who's he?"
Me: *launches into very long spiel about Benedict's career and recent movies.*
Bloke: "Hmm. maybe I should check out some of that stuff:"
Me: "You should, you really, really should." *Pays and leaves*

@... Well everyone interested really. I may hypothetically (since this is a legal grey area) have a scanned copy of the article and front page. It probably wouldn't be of a good quality since I would (if I did scan it) have had to use my workplace's scanner which isn't all that great. But it would be readable. So if you’re interested, drop me a pm with a mail address and I’ll see what I can do about sending this hypothetical copy 

Last edited by Ormond Sacker (October 23, 2013 2:39 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 23, 2013 2:43 pm  #23

LOL
Oh, I love those reactions you've got. Sadly no reaction at all when I bought it. I just said: "Glad that you have it, I didn't have much hope to find it here." and he said: "We offer TIME since about 6 months."
Nothing else. (And I bought TWO of them.  )

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 23, 2013 3:03 pm  #24

Got to read it yesterday.  Story is in the US addition, we just don't have the lovely cover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 23, 2013 5:10 pm  #25

Ha... I love those stories!!  Thanks for the moment of giggles....  ;)   Benedict... selling magazines the world over.  Pretty soon others are going to catch on and try to do their own versions.  'Forbes' - "rich but charitable actors", 'Wired' - "the effect of media/fandom on a career", 'Psychology Today' - "staying humble and happy in a crazy world", with a picture/soundbites from him for each one. 

Tonn - oh... it is?  Oh, well... duh, of course it is... not like the content would drastically change between versions... just wasn't thinking of that!  But already had a kind fellow fan point me to where I could read it, so thank you very much....   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 27, 2013 6:44 pm  #26

So, for those of us in the US who don't personally have and can't get a hardcopy of the magazine in their hands, here's a thought: Read the article at your local library!  Most libraries have subscriptions to popular magazines and "Time" can probably be found there.  Added advantage--there's no pressure to rush and buy it as that issue will be available for a long time.  True, you wouldn't possess your own copy but at least you'd be able to read the article! (*slaps forehead in annoyance at not thinking of this sooner*)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 29, 2013 11:38 pm  #27

My dear hubby 'accidentally' walked out of the doctor's office today with a copy of Time under his arm . So I finally got to read the article. Quite loved the description written of "Sherlock":

Their update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's detective series - which replaces Victorian Gothicism with millennial dread, Holmes' icy yet almost demure decadence with a quasi-autistic,nicotine-addled quirk and Watson's gentlemanly idolatry with a mutually acknowledged, winking, anxious homoeroticism - won devoted following on both sides of the Atlantic and earned Cumberbatch an Emmy nomination in 2012.

Not a bad, in-a-nutshell description.  Nailed the Johnlock element too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 30, 2013 1:04 am  #28

Cool!  When's the next time we're gonna get together, KP?! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera