BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2013 9:22 pm  #1

Benedict on TIME international edition (Help!)

Hello!!

Benedict is on the cover of the international edition of TIME magazine:

Does anyone know if there is a digital edition of this magazine available for purchasing outside the USA?
I tried to buy a digital pass but it was for US costumers only. International costumers were directed to a one-year-suscription. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

October 17, 2013 9:35 pm  #2

Re: Benedict on TIME international edition (Help!)

I don't get TIME magazine, so I can't help...but that's an awesome picture

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 17, 2013 11:34 pm  #3

So...the world gets Benedict Cumberbatch on the cover and the U.S. gets...Texas.  TEXAS?!?!?  I wanna move!!!    (No offense to any Texans but, really: Texas?!?!?  )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 17, 2013 11:43 pm  #4

Here's a link to an interview with the photographer about the cover photo:

http://lightbox.time.com/2013/10/17/go-behind-the-scenes-with-benedict-cumberbatch/#1

Oh, and there's a video, too!

Last edited by Sherli Bakerst (October 18, 2013 12:02 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

October 18, 2013 12:05 am  #5

That link was great, Sherli.  If only I could be that relaxed in front of camera! I suppose I would be if I knew I would always come out looking gorgeous. Ben is just perfect!  And you're right!  Texas! WTF! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

October 18, 2013 1:58 pm  #6

Thank you for the link @​Sherli Bakerst!!!

October 18, 2013 3:57 pm  #7

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

So...the world gets Benedict Cumberbatch on the cover and the U.S. gets...Texas.  TEXAS?!?!?  I wanna move!!!    (No offense to any Texans but, really: Texas?!?!?  )

There's a whole rant going on about that on tumblr and twitter. It's rather fun to watch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 19, 2013 4:16 am  #8

KeepersPrice wrote:

That link was great, Sherli. If only I could be that relaxed in front of camera! I suppose I would be if I knew I would always come out looking gorgeous. Ben is just perfect! And you're right! Texas! WTF!

Cameras love Ben and he loves them right back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 22, 2013 5:47 am  #9

Baffling, that people in the U.S. don't get a chance to buy this excellent cover.

Here's a disturbing list of examples of how this has happened before.
Sheesh.   Sadly dumbed-down covers continue.   If Time International
were available here in the U.S.,  I would consider actually reading it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ellievhall/19insert-word-here-differences-between-time-magazine-us-and

Maybe the editors decided we are better suited to appreciate the colorful  silly Texas
puzzle cover available to us,  (one of the most aggravating of all states)?  
 Or maybe it's simpler.   They deemed us not smart enough to appreciate the BC lovely
cover photo,  and were worried we'd all interpret his pose as slyly 'flipping off' the U.S.A.?

It's a good article!

October 22, 2013 6:57 am  #10

Thanks for that link, jenosborn!
Some of those things made me shake my head in disbelief, others made me smile and Benedict... oh well...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 22, 2013 7:07 am  #11

Interesting link, Jenosborn. Thank you so much. Some choices I can understand, others are just ridiculous. And the last one is just cruel towards American Benedict fans. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 22, 2013 8:11 am  #12

Thanks for posting, jenosborn. Another thing I wasn't aware of.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 22, 2013 1:20 pm  #13

For those of you in the US who wants the Benedict front page magazine I found this on tumblr from a nice Australian who wants to help.
http://songofages.tumblr.com/post/64769775173/attention-us-followers

Just thought I'd pass it on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 22, 2013 1:22 pm  #14

Is there a link to the full article available anywhere? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 22, 2013 1:43 pm  #15

Haha, I went to a shop yesterday to buy chewing gum and then I found this magazine and Benedict right looking at me! Of course I had to buy it and then the shop assistant was looking at the paper and then asked me: "Now seriously, WHO is this guy?! There have been several people today buying this paper who usually never do and now she keeps thinking it is because of this person on the title page.
Of course I was overly happy to explain to her who Benedict is and why he is such a fantastic person and she even wrote down his name and some film titles. Absolutely made my day! :D

I haven't finished reading the article yet but will do soon!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

October 22, 2013 2:21 pm  #16

tonnaree wrote:

Is there a link to the full article available anywhere? 

It's on Tumblr. I don't know if I'm allowed to post that link here.

October 22, 2013 3:28 pm  #17

James Norrington wrote:

Haha, I went to a shop yesterday to buy chewing gum and then I found this magazine and Benedict right looking at me! Of course I had to buy it and then the shop assistant was looking at the paper and then asked me: "Now seriously, WHO is this guy?! There have been several people today buying this paper who usually never do and now she keeps thinking it is because of this person on the title page.
Of course I was overly happy to explain to her who Benedict is and why he is such a fantastic person and she even wrote down his name and some film titles. Absolutely made my day! :D

I haven't finished reading the article yet but will do soon!

Can you imagine how great it is that you have introduced him to her? How many hours of (viewing) pleasure now lies ahead of her? 

Well done you! !

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

October 22, 2013 4:53 pm  #18

agreed!   how gratifying.  well done indeed.. 

would so love my own copy.     oh well.       glad you were able to spread the word!

October 22, 2013 9:36 pm  #19

nicbooful wrote:

Can you imagine how great it is that you have introduced him to her? How many hours of (viewing) pleasure now lies ahead of her?

Well done you! !

No, I haven't! Wow, now she's about to enter the amazing, crazy and wonderful world of Cumberbatch and explores all the wonders that there are to see (and there are oh so many!!!) How nice for her!!! I shall go to her again in a few weeks and ask her whether she found her way into Cumberworld yet and if yes, how she likes it being here! :D

@jenosborn: I'd so love to scan my copy and share it with you but unfortunately I'm not having access to a scanner at the moment!

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

October 22, 2013 10:54 pm  #20

James Norrington wrote:

@jenosborn: I'd so love to scan my copy and share it with you but unfortunately I'm not having access to a scanner at the moment!

aww,  so nice of you to offer James!    Well,  on an off-chance a forum-ite scores an extra
copy,  (or tires of their own)    (yes I know that won't happen),   feel free to private msg me!   -jen

Board footera