BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2013 7:08 pm  #1

I shouldn't have done that... A thread for FEELZ!!!

So, has anyone ever read something incredibly sad *Cough*AloneontheWater*cough - And then watched Riechenbach or had a post Riechenbach rp? I have today I read Alone on the Water, than started a post Riechenbach rp. Then cried. A lot.

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

October 11, 2013 8:27 pm  #2

Re: I shouldn't have done that... A thread for FEELZ!!!

Every Sherlock fan should read Alone on The Water, I wish I had not read it when I was brand new to the fandom.  I was in no way prepared for the way that story made me feel.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 11, 2013 8:29 pm  #3

I read it earlier today. Then watched the video. Then read it again.

"I'm not a phycopath, Anderson, I'm a high- funcioning sociopath, do your research."

October 11, 2013 9:49 pm  #4

How do I find it?  I've never heard about it before x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

October 11, 2013 9:51 pm  #5

Just search Alone on the Water on google and it is on fanfiction.net by Madlori

October 11, 2013 10:41 pm  #6

I haven't read it, but I know what happens

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 10:44 pm  #7

Yep :'( But I am reading it now, when I'm meant to be in bed! #crying (I like hashtags)

October 12, 2013 3:15 am  #8

Why have you never read it Kitty?  Devastating as it is, it also very beautiful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 12, 2013 8:55 pm  #9

It is. Especially before the end... (I won't say here, because of people that haven't read it, so I will message you so we can sqee over the adorableness together, tonnaree!)

October 15, 2013 10:01 pm  #10

I've just read it and it's...wow.
Normally I don't like such stories that much but 'Alone on the water' is really good and well written.
Not many books/stories make me cry but this one almost did.

October 16, 2013 11:48 am  #11

Well, I have read Alone on the water but somehow it has not really gotten into me. I don't know why. Maybe I distanced myself from it too far or I just think that Reichenbach is still the worst case scenario.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

September 13, 2015 3:04 am  #12

I just finished watching Reichenbach, and then thought, "Well, might as well continue the angst" and read Alone on the Water for the first time. It was the second time I'd watched Reichenback so I didn't cry, but after reading AOTW I was bawling and screaming "SCREW YOU!!!!" at the computer screen. Not really good, lol. 

But that fic is truly magnificent. It's sad of course, but there's something very sweet and real about it. I'd recommend it to any Sherlock fan. 

September 13, 2015 3:15 am  #13

I have to agree.  It was beautiful and well-written but it left me a complete sobbing mess.  I read it last March or April and it was close to exams.  I read it after lunch one day and I was feeling really sad the rest of the day.  But I still think it's a great story.  But it left me a complete mess.  I was sobbing through a lot of parts and then afterwards I just kept crying for a while.  
And after I'd calmed down for a bit I decided to watch the YouTube video...bad idea.  I cried again.  But the video is well-done too.

The last line haunted me for at least a day after reading it.  Sometimes I still remember it.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 13, 2015 3:17 am)

Clueing for looks.

September 13, 2015 6:47 am  #14

Oh my god, I didn't know there was a fan video, so I googled and watched it and now I'm trying not to cry in front of my kids who can't work out what's going on because YouTube is for watching funny cat videos 
(It was the one by Deductism, right?)
Btw, it's also a bad idea to watch Third Star when you've got Reichenbach/AOTW feels going on...

Last edited by ukaunz (September 13, 2015 7:26 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 13, 2015 8:09 am  #15

I also belong to the minority that was not overly affected by Alone on the Water, even though I will not deny that it is very well written. But for some reason it did not break my heart like it did for so many others. The Goldfish Bowl (here is the link if anyone is interested: http://archiveofourown.org/works/3207266), on the other hand just made my heart ache for both of these boys. I cannot say why the one affected me so much more than the other.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

September 13, 2015 3:32 pm  #16

ukaunz wrote:

Oh my god, I didn't know there was a fan video, so I googled and watched it and now I'm trying not to cry in front of my kids who can't work out what's going on because YouTube is for watching funny cat videos
(It was the one by Deductism, right?)
Btw, it's also a bad idea to watch Third Star when you've got Reichenbach/AOTW feels going on...

Yes, that's the one! If you ever hear that song somewhere, you will be reminded of the story. (I heard it once this summer when I was at a hardware store with my mum...I was a little sad).

Lola, I will have to read that story when I am in a position that being emotionally compromised would not be a problem.

Clueing for looks.

September 13, 2015 8:14 pm  #17

Do that. It is not overly dramatic on the surface level. It basically deals with the day that Sherlock and Mycroft find out that Sherlock is not, in fact, an idiot. But what that means for both of them is just heart-breaking.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

September 14, 2015 9:19 am  #18

I am probably also in a minority here, but a different one: I almost regret having read AotW. I had heard about it and knew it was one of those fics I ought to have read, but I dreaded doing so. And when I finally read it, I cried from the very first line and all the way to the end. 

For days after that, random bits from the story would appear in my mind and I would get tears in my eyes. Reading any other fic only reminded me of that one. It was absolutely horrible.

I'm sort of "over" all of that now, but I don't think I will ever read a story like that again. It was painful - and only painful.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 14, 2015 9:49 am  #19

I wish I could read this fic but I can't deal with stories that don't have a happy ending. And one with such a sad ending - nope. Can't do it. Which is a shame as I hear it's really good.

September 14, 2015 1:44 pm  #20

Well, it's partly sad but partly not.  I'd say it's bittersweet.  It's sad, but it's also kind of hopeful at the end.  But if you don't think you can handle a sad ending that you shouldn't force yourself.  Although I don't think you should be afraid of it.  You kind of know how it will end from the beginning.  It's more sad throughout, and then just sad, and then the ending is bittersweet. But it's up to you.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera