BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2013 11:33 pm  #1

Omegaverse aka Alpha/Beta/Omega fics

Hey guys

A few of you have made comments about being utterly confused/baffled/horrified by the Omegaverse fic trope.

Here is a "primer" written specifically for the Sherlock fandom on the whole Omegaverse dynamic: http://archiveofourown.org/works/403644/chapters/665489

(AO3 is down at the time of posting this so can't go to the link myself at this stage! My apologies if the below doubles up or contradicts the primer. If it contradicts, go with what the primer says!)

Basically, it's a trope that exists across most fandoms, and it's an alternate reality. People are born either male or female, but ALSO either alpha, beta, or omega.

Alphas of both traditional genders can impregnate Omegas of both traditional genders; Betas are basically the equivalent of our Real World gender pairings (ie male betas can impregnate female betas but not the other way around).

As it's a trope that allows for FA/FO or MA/MO pregnancy, it tends to be popular with same sex pairing fan fic. Enter Sherlock and John! It often is also a trope that includes the idea of bonding, or soul bonding (but only with A/O pairings, Betas cannot bond), and it can be used to introduce this concept into a fic as well.

You'll find fics out there that have Alpha!Sherlock and Omega!John or vice versa. Sherlock Omegaverse fics often include a Mystrade A/O pairing by default as well.

I avoided them for a while but ended up reading one for some unknown reason, and some of them can be quite good fics. There's a Sentinel/Guide crossover one that I quite liked.

However, if you like fics that exist in the ACD Canon or BBC Canon universe, you won't like these fics. If you don't like explicit fics, you'll probably want to avoid these too, as sex tends to be a major feature of them.

They're not all PWP though, so read the warnings and the tags and see if it sounds like something you might enjoy.

Last edited by Wholocked (October 8, 2013 11:36 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 7, 2015 4:38 pm  #2

Re: Omegaverse aka Alpha/Beta/Omega fics

So I don't know about you guys but when I first started reading fan fic I steered far away from omega verse. I thought it was just too weird. Well, eventually my resolve cracked, curiosity got the better of me and I ended up reading "Seven Moons" by ladyflowdi which I enjoyed a lot. That was awhile back so I'm glad I gave it a go because it definitely opened me up to reading some other great works.

I'd have to say my favorite so far is starrysummernights The Illusion of Control series which goes from John growing up omega, to meeting Sherlock, eventually bonding with him, and unintentionally getting pregnant and everything in between with a healthy dose of angst. And I believe the latest bit she's doing in the series is going to be Mystrade for those who are interested in that pairing.

I would love some recs if anyone has any.

May 7, 2015 5:01 pm  #3

To be honest, this is on my Nope list of tags. If I see a fic that has this dynamic, I will scroll past it no matter the quality or story otherwise. 

But to each their own. I don't mind it being there, and it's great for those who enjoy it. I know I like to read some weird stuff that other people will scroll past.  (And some of that weird stuff used to be on my Nope list too. Until, like you, I took a chance and was mightily impressed).

Last edited by Vhanja (May 7, 2015 5:04 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 7, 2015 5:11 pm  #4

Yea.  Just not my thing.  It doesn't bother me but I've never been able to warm up to the concept.

I don't have too many absolute no's on my fan fic list but this is one of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 7, 2015 5:47 pm  #5

Same here. I had a look at them but I really prefer stories that may be AU but are still somehow set in "our world". The concept of mpreg and alpha/omega/beta simply does not appeal to me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2015 7:41 pm  #6

While opinions about Omegaverse may differ, I still think this here is sooo both lovely and hilarious 
http://littlemisshamish.tumblr.com/post/87035935060/comic-175-happy-announcement
(non graphic)

Unfortunately, I have no recs either, sorry, myrinda. Anyone else? After all, this was a request for recs.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 7, 2015 7:51 pm  #7

Harriet wrote:

While opinions about Omegaverse may differ, I still think this here is sooo both lovely and hilarious
http://littlemisshamish.tumblr.com/post/87035935060/comic-175-happy-announcement
(non graphic)

Unfortunately, I have no recs either, sorry, myrinda. Anyone else? After all, this was a request for recs.

I've seen that on tumblr a couple times, always makes me laugh

May 7, 2015 7:51 pm  #8

I have never tried reading this kind of fic, it didn't sound like something I enjoy.  I may one day try it, but mostly I like stuff, like Susi said, that's set in our world, although that doesn't mean I don't like sci-fi or fantasy AUs.  I've read some good Winglock, granted not that many.  If I find an Omegaverse fic with an interesting enough sounding story I may give it a try, but for now it's something I scroll past.  I usually come upon Omega fics when looking for translock, so maybe one day I'll try it just because it's there.  But for now I'm sticking with other types of fic.

Just looked at that comic, though, that was funny.

Last edited by Yitzock (May 7, 2015 7:55 pm)

Clueing for looks.

Board footera