BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2013 7:28 pm  #41

Re: "Benedict Cumberbatch is doing an AMA on Reddit on 11th October"

What an eloquent and thoughtful answer. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 11, 2013 7:30 pm  #42

MeggO_MyEggo 33 points 53 minutes ago

Has there been a time when you've been completely starstruck meeting someone famous but had to play it cool because you're famous too?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 18 points 53 seconds ago

Uhhhhhhhh. Every time I've met someone famous who I've been in the audience of. I have the same butterflies and inability to be cool. I approach them as a fellow member of the human race as the next person in their audience does. I've been doing this for 10 odd years, and so to meet people who thrilled me with their work for my entire life in such a concentrated manner as has happened over the last few years has been mind-blowing. One of the many perks of my job, I guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 7:30 pm  #43

Probably that was it which took some time. So maybe more to come.... 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 11, 2013 7:31 pm  #44

Russell wrote:

Kerkerian wrote:

Did he stop now? There don't seem to be any new answers.

It's kind of too bad. By nature, an internet-chat-board-interview-etc thing like this needs a little chunk of time set aside simply to handle the amount of chatter going on... can easily lose an hour or two. Throw in the fact that it's -Ben- doing it.... a busy guy with possibly other plans tonight and thought he could promote/endear the fans for a little bit, but get freaking 5000 comments in one hour... oi. Sooooo curious what it's like for him on that end... Ah well.... hilariously-intelligently entertaining.

(and just as I finish typing that... O.O woah... the silence musta been with that huge answer he just gave!)
(and Solar.... gahhh... I know!)

Yeah, it then became apparent when the next answer appeared. =)
Does anyone know if they gave an estimate for how long he'd do this?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 11, 2013 7:31 pm  #45

kittykat wrote:

nam5465 325 points 49 minutes ago

Julian Assange’s open letter to you criticizing The Fifth Estate is very intense. He even goes so far as to call you a “hired gun” for distorting the truth (or at least what he views as his truth). Did this affect the way you portrayed him or even make you second guess your role at all in this film?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 123 points 3 minutes ago

Yes, of course it did. To have the man you are about to portray ask you intelligently and politely not to do it gave me real cause for concern, however, it galvanized me into addressing why I was doing this movie. He accuses me of being a "hired gun" as if I am an easily bought cypher for right wing propaganda. Not only do I NOT operate in a moral vacuum but this was not a pay day for me at all. I've worked far less hard for more financial reward. This project was important to me because of the integrity I wanted to bring to provocative difficult but ultimately timely and a truly important figure of our modern times. The idea of making a movie about someone who so far removed from my likeness or situation who brought about an ideal through personal sacrifice that has changed the way we view both social media, the power of the individual to have a voice in that space, and be able to question both the hypocrisies and wrongdoings of organizations and bodies of powerful people that rule our lives... This resonated deeply with my beliefs in civil liberty, a healthy democracy, and the human rights of both communities and individuals to question those in authority. I believe that the film, quite clearly, illuminates the great successes of wikileaks and its extraordinary founder Julians Assange. As well as, examining the personalities involved and what become a dysfunctional relationship within that organization. While the legacy of his actions and the organizations continue to evolve and only history will be the true judge of where this is leading us. The Fifth Estate is a powerful, if dramatized, entry point for a discussion about this extraordinary lurch forward in our society. I wanted to create a three dimensional portrait of a man far more maligned in the tabloid press than he is in our film to remind people that he is not just the weird, white haired Australian dude wanted in Sweden, hiding in an embassy behind Harrods. But a true force to be reckoned with, achieved the realization of the great ideal. I'm proud to be involved in tackling such a contentious character and script. There is only personal truth in my opinion, and the film should provoke debate and not consensus. It should be enjoyable and ultimately empowering to realize that Julian has spearheaded a movement that is the foundations stone of The Fifth Estate, people journalism and what that is capable of including finding out the "truth" for yourself.

*big, giant thumbs up to his response* 

-------------------------------------------------------

October 11, 2013 7:32 pm  #46

kittykat wrote:

I have to copy and paste this one:

hcml11 165 points 24 minutes ago

Do you, Matt smith, and Tom Hiddleton have cheek bone polishing parties?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 388 points 5 minutes ago

We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend feck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet.

I love this man!

Haha! He. Is. So. Awesome. 

October 11, 2013 7:32 pm  #47

Back to some fun:

[–]HollyBoBolly 35 Punkte 51 Minuten zuvor

Mr. Cumberbatch,

I asked Mr. Hiddleston this question when he did a Q&A on Twitter:

Can you feel the love tonight?

He was unable to respond, but I'm hoping you will.

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 133 Punkte 5 Minuten zuvor

I'm feeling it right now. Leave me alone.

October 11, 2013 7:34 pm  #48

Awww 

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 7:35 pm  #49

Q:This AMA has exceeded my wildest expectations. Has your sass increased since working with Martin Freeman, or were you always this sassy?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 1 point 6 seconds ago

Well of course Martin will be furious unless I say I owe it all to him. And believe me, his wrath is more fearsome than any dragons.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 11, 2013 7:36 pm  #50

SolarSystem wrote:

Q:This AMA has exceeded my wildest expectations. Has your sass increased since working with Martin Freeman, or were you always this sassy?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 1 point 6 seconds ago

Well of course Martin will be furious unless I say I owe it all to him. And believe me, his wrath is more fearsome than any dragons.

*giggles*

October 11, 2013 7:37 pm  #51

Sassy. Yes. It seems he's really enjoying this, his answers are just great. I'm falling in love with this guy all over again right now...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 11, 2013 7:37 pm  #52

Is it weird of me to have some uncertainty as to whether it was really him?  I mean... until we got the 'verification' pic.  And even then, some of the style of his answers seemed so....  different!  More... "goofy"?  Dunno.  Plus I thought a Brit would spell 'humor' as 'humour'.  ;D  But then my head says it makes sense, too... the quick/chatter way we talk when just hurriedly typing out answers online.   And then of course, he goes and says something utterly adorable and typically quirky of.....

c-line 45 points 25 minutes ago
This AMA has exceeded my wildest expectations. Has your sass increased since working with Martin Freeman, or were you always this sassy?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 119 points 3 minutes ago

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 11, 2013 7:39 pm  #53

SolarSystem wrote:

Sassy. Yes. It seems he's really enjoying this, his answers are just great. I'm falling in love with this guy all over again right now...

Same here...

October 11, 2013 7:39 pm  #54

For the spelling: At least you don't know who is typing for him....

October 11, 2013 7:43 pm  #55

He has got to be drunk...!

Q: What do you think of your fans calling themselves 'Cumbercookies'? That way when we all come together, we'll be the 'Cumberbatch' :D

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 94 points 1 minute ago

It's great! You could call yourself the Cumbergirls, and then when you come together you'd be a flock. Or you could call yourself the Cumbertadpoles and that way you'd be the Cumberspawn...Wait!...Ew! Don't do that.

October 11, 2013 7:44 pm  #56

CumberbatchLover 663 points 1 hour ago

What do you think of your fans calling themselves 'Cumbercookies'? That way when we all come together, we'll be the 'Cumberbatch' :D

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 166 points 4 minutes ago

It's great! You could call yourself the Cumbergirls, and then when you come together you'd be a flock. Or you could call yourself the Cumbertadpoles and that way you'd be the Cumberspawn...Wait!...Ew! Don't do that.

October 11, 2013 7:45 pm  #57

Oops... sorry for the repeated quote.     Gahh.... in this and other talk show chats, he does seem such a fun conversationalist....  *sighs...* 

Mattlocked wrote:

For the spelling: At least you don't know who is typing for him....

Right....  right.... for all we know, he's enjoying tea in his bathrobe, studying lines, while that other person off-camera scouts out the best questions and rattles off responses.   My three comments have no chance, do they.....?    Ha.

Edit:  Re: the last question you two posted (and Solar's comment)  I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time!! 

Last edited by Russell (October 11, 2013 7:47 pm)

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 11, 2013 7:45 pm  #58

Beat me to it! 

October 11, 2013 7:50 pm  #59

Russell wrote:

......Edit:  Re: the last question you two posted (and Solar's comment)  I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time!! 

Cumbertadpoles? RIght. 

October 11, 2013 7:52 pm  #60

illustrious 83 points 1 hour ago

Mr. Cumberbatch,

I don't have a question. I just wanted to say that I think you are lovely in Sherlock and that my husband named our fish after you.

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 88 points 1 minute ago

I hope that fish lives a long life. Don't put it near any rooftops.

Board footera