BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2013 7:02 pm  #21

Re: "Benedict Cumberbatch is doing an AMA on Reddit on 11th October"

I have to copy and paste this one:

hcml11 165 points 24 minutes ago

Do you, Matt smith, and Tom Hiddleton have cheek bone polishing parties?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 388 points 5 minutes ago

We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend feck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet.

I love this man!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 7:08 pm  #22

[–]quietasashadow
Benedict, do you bother with Halloween? If so, what will you be this year?

If not... Disregard.

PS: I like you a lot.

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s]

The invisible man. Oh, how I love to disappear.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

October 11, 2013 7:09 pm  #23

kittykat wrote:

I have to copy and paste this one:

hcml11 165 points 24 minutes ago

Do you, Matt smith, and Tom Hiddleton have cheek bone polishing parties?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 388 points 5 minutes ago

We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend feck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet.

I love this man!

Whose feck fantasy, Ben?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

October 11, 2013 7:12 pm  #24

[–]TheRedLozza 54 Punkte 31 Minuten zuvor

Hi Benedict,

Is it hard to keep the secret of how Sherlock survived? Do you ever have the urge to tell someone? If so, how do you cope?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 52 Punkte 1 Minute zuvor

I cry myself to sleep at night. And then wake up laughing.

October 11, 2013 7:13 pm  #25

His answers range from totally hilarious to impressively clever and intelligent. I love this man.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 11, 2013 7:15 pm  #26

I just...I can't...oh God...

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

October 11, 2013 7:15 pm  #27

Mattlocked wrote:

But still with his hands in his pockets. 

Someone asked how he was typing, then.   He reply-commented 'with my left foot'.   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

October 11, 2013 7:16 pm  #28

Right, just like this:

[–]wonkybookcase 88 Punkte 31 Minuten zuvor

Is fame different from how you imagined it would be?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 340 Punkte 13 Minuten zuvor

You can't imagine fame. You can only ever see it from an outsider and comment on it with the rueful wisdom of a non participant. When it happens to you, it doesn't matter what age or how, it is a very steep learning curve. The imprtanot thing to realize in all of it is that life is short, to protect the ones you love, and not expose yourself to too much abuse or narcissistic reflection gazing and move on. If fame affords me the type of ability to do the kind of work I'm being offered, who am I to complain about the downsides. It's all relative. And this are obviously very high class problems. The way privacy becomes an every shrinking island is inevitable but also manageable and it doesn't necessary have to get that way...

October 11, 2013 7:16 pm  #29

Oh.  Holy.   Crud.   Have you guys seen how many comments already?

Hi Benedict,
Is it hard to keep the secret of how Sherlock survived? Do you ever have the urge to tell someone? If so, how do you cope?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 154 points 3 minutes ago

CanadianGladiator 308 points 37 minutes ago
If I make a brand of pants called “CumberBritches” will you endorse them?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 224 points 6 minutes ago
Only if you get me a billboard slot in Times Square.

And some of his answers!!!??!!  And the 'verification proof' reddit-style pic he just put up:  http://i.imgur.com/bkDZmW4.jpg   That's it…. I'm dead.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

October 11, 2013 7:17 pm  #30

I'd looove to watch "The Breakfast Club" with him right next to me... (oh my god, don't go there, Solar...!)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 11, 2013 7:18 pm  #31

Russell wrote:

Oh. Holy. Crud. Have you guys seen how many comments already?

Hi Benedict,

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 154 points 3 minutes ago

CanadianGladiator 308 points 37 minutes ago
If I make a brand of pants called “CumberBritches” will you endorse them?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 224 points 6 minutes ago
Only if you get me a billboard slot in Times Square.

And some of his answers!!!??!! And the 'verification proof' reddit-style pic he just put up: http://i.imgur.com/bkDZmW4.jpg That's it…. I'm dead.

Did he stop now? There don't seem to be any new answers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

October 11, 2013 7:19 pm  #32

Oh Russell, THAT PIC...!!! *THUD*

October 11, 2013 7:21 pm  #33

Here was a real fangirl 

QUICK. whats in your pocket right now

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 410 Punkte 23 Minuten zuvor

My hand.

[–]polymercury 152 Punkte 23 Minuten zuvor

How are you typing?

[–]_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 367 Punkte 11 Minuten zuvor

With my left foot.

[–]polymercury 101 Punkte 10 Minuten zuvor

Oh god he responded

(sweet)

October 11, 2013 7:21 pm  #34

The pic is amazing. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 11, 2013 7:22 pm  #35

chatchapeau 126 points 45 minutes ago

Hi Ben, what are a few of your favorite comfort movies that are nostalgic to you and you never tire of?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 304 points 17 minutes ago

Ghostbusters. Loads of John Hughes classics. Annie Hall. annnnnd 2001 Space Odyssey!!

October 11, 2013 7:25 pm  #36

kittykat wrote:

chatchapeau 126 points 45 minutes ago

Hi Ben, what are a few of your favorite comfort movies that are nostalgic to you and you never tire of?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 304 points 17 minutes ago

Ghostbusters. Loads of John Hughes classics. Annie Hall. annnnnd 2001 Space Odyssey!!

He and I fit so great together! =)

October 11, 2013 7:26 pm  #37

SusiGo wrote:

The pic is amazing. 

A welcome pic just for you! Nice to have you back!!

October 11, 2013 7:26 pm  #38

nam5465 325 points 49 minutes ago

Julian Assange’s open letter to you criticizing The Fifth Estate is very intense. He even goes so far as to call you a “hired gun” for distorting the truth (or at least what he views as his truth). Did this affect the way you portrayed him or even make you second guess your role at all in this film?

_BenedictCumberbatchBenedict Cumberbatch[s] 123 points 3 minutes ago

Yes, of course it did. To have the man you are about to portray ask you intelligently and politely not to do it gave me real cause for concern, however, it galvanized me into addressing why I was doing this movie. He accuses me of being a "hired gun" as if I am an easily bought cypher for right wing propaganda. Not only do I NOT operate in a moral vacuum but this was not a pay day for me at all. I've worked far less hard for more financial reward. This project was important to me because of the integrity I wanted to bring to provocative difficult but ultimately timely and a truly important figure of our modern times. The idea of making a movie about someone who so far removed from my likeness or situation who brought about an ideal through personal sacrifice that has changed the way we view both social media, the power of the individual to have a voice in that space, and be able to question both the hypocrisies and wrongdoings of organizations and bodies of powerful people that rule our lives... This resonated deeply with my beliefs in civil liberty, a healthy democracy, and the human rights of both communities and individuals to question those in authority. I believe that the film, quite clearly, illuminates the great successes of wikileaks and its extraordinary founder Julians Assange. As well as, examining the personalities involved and what become a dysfunctional relationship within that organization. While the legacy of his actions and the organizations continue to evolve and only history will be the true judge of where this is leading us. The Fifth Estate is a powerful, if dramatized, entry point for a discussion about this extraordinary lurch forward in our society. I wanted to create a three dimensional portrait of a man far more maligned in the tabloid press than he is in our film to remind people that he is not just the weird, white haired Australian dude wanted in Sweden, hiding in an embassy behind Harrods. But a true force to be reckoned with, achieved the realization of the great ideal. I'm proud to be involved in tackling such a contentious character and script. There is only personal truth in my opinion, and the film should provoke debate and not consensus. It should be enjoyable and ultimately empowering to realize that Julian has spearheaded a movement that is the foundations stone of The Fifth Estate, people journalism and what that is capable of including finding out the "truth" for yourself.

October 11, 2013 7:27 pm  #39

Kerkerian wrote:

Did he stop now? There don't seem to be any new answers.

It's kind of too bad.  By nature, an internet-chat-board-interview-etc thing like this needs a little chunk of time set aside simply to handle the amount of chatter going on... can easily lose an hour or two.  Throw in the fact that it's -Ben- doing it.... a busy guy with possibly other plans tonight and thought he could promote/endear the fans for a little bit, but get freaking 5000 comments in one hour... oi.  Sooooo curious what it's like for him on that end...      Ah well.... hilariously-intelligently entertaining.

(and just as I finish typing that...  O.O  woah... the silence musta been with that huge answer he just gave!)
(and Solar....  gahhh... I know!) 

October 11, 2013 7:28 pm  #40

SolarSystem wrote:

Oh Russell, THAT PIC...!!! *THUD*

My sentiments exactly! *THUD*  
I am alternating between laughing, smiling and swooning at his answers...damn I just love him! 

-------------------------------------------------------

Board footera