BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 25, 2012 3:43 am  #1

You see but you do not observe.

Sherlock’s Tent

Sherlock Holmes and Mr. Watson went on a camping trip. After a good meal and a bottle of wine they lay down in their tent for the night and went to sleep.  Some hours  later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend awake.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions and millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?" Holmes questioned. Watson pondered for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially  billions of planets. Astrologically, I observe Saturn is in Leo. Logically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three.  Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant. Meteorologically, I suspect that we  will have a beautiful day tomorrow."

"Is that all?," Holmes asked.

"Yes." Watson replied. "Why, am I missing something?"
Holmes was quiet for a moment, then spoke: "Watson, you fool. Someone has stolen the tent."

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 5:51 am  #2

Re: You see but you do not observe.

I can't stop laughing... btw how could they don't realize the tent is gone?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© unreasonablyme

I don't need a superheroes... I need hero just like Holmes. :3

March 25, 2012 6:32 am  #3

I think Watson has been listening to Holmes saying:
"Never trust to general impressions, my boy, but concentrate yourself upon details." ("A Case of Identity") -  in this case taking his advice to an extreme.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

March 25, 2012 6:42 am  #4

theCuriousOne wrote:

I can't stop laughing... btw how could they don't realize the tent is gone?

Because they were asleep; then Watson was concentrating so much on making a brilliant deduction speech he missed the obvious, lol. Which of late is usually what Sherlock does.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

March 25, 2012 9:30 am  #5

Yeah, I love that one. I remember hearing it years ago. It's the only decent Sherlock joke out there.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 4, 2012 3:36 am  #6

Bumping this for newer members (like me!).

Just hilarious!

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 4, 2012 12:33 pm  #7

I saw a card with this on just a few days ago, SO tempted to buy it!

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

June 4, 2012 9:56 pm  #8

I enjoyed reading this it's hilarious

Last edited by Ellen5000 (June 4, 2012 9:56 pm)

I <3 Sherlock Holmes
    Twitter = @ellen_lowe

June 5, 2012 6:28 pm  #9

According to Wikipedia, that is the 2nd funniest joke in the world. The funniest joke, based on a Goon Show sketch is

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

June 6, 2012 3:25 am  #10

hepzibah wrote:

According to Wikipedia, that is the 2nd funniest joke in the world. The funniest joke, based on a Goon Show sketch is

Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed. The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps, "My friend is dead! What can I do?" The operator says "Calm down. I can help. First, let's make sure he's dead." There is a silence, then a gun shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says "OK, now what?"

I have always loved that one. But I do believe I like the Sherlock joke better. Wonder why...

We need a joke thread...

"Perfectly sound analysis. I was hoping you would go a little deeper."

June 13, 2012 9:11 pm  #11

hahahah love this one

June 14, 2012 8:48 am  #12

It's good...but I think "funniest joke in the world" is a step too far. It's not THAT funny. Could be just my odd sense of humour though.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

June 14, 2012 2:52 pm  #13

Hey, Sherlock, are you dissing Wikipedia? And will me being cheeky to an Administrator get me banned from the site? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FREE PUSSY RIOT

I wish the real world would just stop hassling me - Rob Thomas

Did I mention that I have a Kindle?

#destroythejoint

August 20, 2012 8:45 pm  #14

Bump! Again for new members who may not have seen this.

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 20, 2012 11:53 pm  #15

It's still funny 

October 15, 2012 4:08 am  #16

...where did you see this on a card?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Geniuses are often obsessive, and their clarity of intellectual insight can be depressing and isolating: by nature geniuses march to a different drum." - Ron Bracey

October 15, 2012 4:22 am  #17

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

It's good...but I think "funniest joke in the world" is a step too far. It's not THAT funny. Could be just my odd sense of humour though.

I agree with you, it's not that funny.
I think it could have been the "funniest joke in the world" back in 18..  Nowadays it sounds a little bit... old-fashioned

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sherlock: "I need to get some air, we're going out tonight."
John: "Actually, I've uh, got a date."
Sherlock: "What?"
John: "It's where two people who like each other go out and have fun."
Sherlock: "That's what I was suggesting."

Board footera