BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2013 11:02 am  #1

Audio books narrated by Benedict

So far I have:

Neverwhere
Cabin Pressure series
Casanova
Death in a White Tie
Artists in Crime
Scales of Justice
SHERLOCK HOLMES AS JOHN WATSON

Am I missing anything???? I just can't get enough of his voice! I played these books to sleep and boy the dreams were vivid! )

Though I admit I keep getting confused when listening to Sherlock Holmes thinking he's Sherlock instead of John.

Last edited by HL0000 (October 6, 2013 11:04 am)

October 6, 2013 11:19 am  #2

Re: Audio books narrated by Benedict

I have got to get Neverwhere. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 6, 2013 11:30 am  #3

There are also the 

Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories

And some excellent radio plays. I recommend "Copenhagen" available from AudioGo.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 6, 2013 1:21 pm  #4

Didn't he also read "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka? It was repeated on BBC radio a little while ago, if I recall it correctly. I'm not sure if it's for sale somewhere though...

And he read one chapter of Moby Dick (it was a project of celebrities reading a chapter each or something); can be found on Youtube and elsewhere:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I asked you for one more miracle. I asked you to stop being dead." 

"I heard you."

(The Empty Hearse)

October 6, 2013 5:56 pm  #5

"Metamorphosis" is brilliant. It was available as a free podcast in four parts. From iTunes, I think. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 6, 2013 7:03 pm  #6

I wish I had known him when I had to read it for an exam... When I imagine I could have listened to his sexy voice and called it studying...

- -  - –  – –  - - -  - - - -  -  - – -  - – - -  – – –  – - – -  – - –  -  – - -
Up, down, flying around, looping the loop and defying the ground.
They're all frightfully keen, those magnificent men in their flying machines!

October 6, 2013 7:36 pm  #7

Pav wrote:

I wish I had known him when I had to read it for an exam... When I imagine I could have listened to his sexy voice and called it studying...

OMG now you made me imagined if he would teach at my uni... I think he would make all the girls fail since they would be too distracted by his own presence lol

Last edited by HL0000 (October 6, 2013 7:37 pm)

December 9, 2013 10:40 pm  #8

Do you know "Snowman and Snowdog"? It´s a readingof a childrens book. It´s so lovely and brought me to tears!

I also have some Sherlock Holmes Short Stories where he speaks all roles. Very, very good!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage"

December 18, 2013 12:20 pm  #9

Hopefully, I'll get "Casanova" for Christmas.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

December 18, 2013 12:38 pm  #10

I have this 2.
Artists in Crime
Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories

Brilliant. *sigh* The others are on my wishlist.

And this is also sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCvO_ZiFmE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 15, 2014 6:58 pm  #11

Sava wrote:

I also have some Sherlock Holmes Short Stories where he speaks all roles. Very, very good!

I listened to them via youtube and was totally impressed by his impersonations of all those different roles.. amazing, the impressions he can create just with his voice! Such a talent..

February 15, 2014 7:03 pm  #12

Sava wrote:

I heard them the other day and was really impressed by his impersonations of all those different roles.. amazing, the impressions he can create just with his voice! Such an amazing talent..

February 15, 2014 9:11 pm  #13

I totally forgot to tell you. I got Casanova for Christmas. It is sooooooo great. You should try it.

-----------------------------
“Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.”
Terry Pratchett - A Hat Full of Sky

March 3, 2014 10:25 am  #14

Thanks for the recommendation, I just listen to it and it´s really good! 

March 5, 2014 8:19 pm  #15

If you use Spotify; you can find him reading 'Flat of Angels' 

I am melting right now

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 11, 2014 11:29 am  #16

There's also the BBC Rumpole series, where Benedict reads Young Rumpole in a number of episodes. I can't look up which episodes exactly right now, but I think Cumberbatchweb has a list.

I've recently listened to the Rediscovered Railway Mysteries that are available on YouTube, and the one thing that struck me is that I unexpectedly didn't really have much of a problem with Benedict reading as the character of Watson. Somehow, he manages to make him sound different than Sherlock, and when I listen to these stories, I'm not seeing Sherlock and Watson, I'm seeing Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in the 19th century. Just another example of how good Benedict is as an actor.

July 11, 2014 11:35 am  #17

Yes, exactly what I thought. This reading has nothing to do with the BBC series. You simply don't look for any connections.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 11, 2014 12:21 pm  #18

True. I generally love how he manages to create different characters without exaggerating or turning it into a caricature. And I am excited to see if he can make "The Spire" interesting for me which is a novel I would not pick spontaneously. 

July 11, 2014 5:13 pm  #19

TeeJay wrote:

I've recently listened to the Rediscovered Railway Mysteries that are available on YouTube, and the one thing that struck me is that I unexpectedly didn't really have much of a problem with Benedict reading as the character of Watson. Somehow, he manages to make him sound different than Sherlock, and when I listen to these stories, I'm not seeing Sherlock and Watson, I'm seeing Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in the 19th century. Just another example of how good Benedict is as an actor.

I've just heard The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries (thanks to you) and if I hadn't known that this was Benedict's voice, I wolud have never recognised him. And that is why I like him so much - in his every role he always looks and sounds different. And I agree with you TeeJay, it's amazing how he can make us feel like we were in 19th century only by his voice. Extraordinary.

***************************************************************************************************************************                                    

"Hey, chief, I might be wrong, but I think we're flying into a mountain. This makes me feel... scared of the mountain.
One thing we could do is pull up and fly over the mountain. How does that sound to...
"

July 15, 2014 9:59 pm  #20

Criosdan wrote:

I totally forgot to tell you. I got Casanova for Christmas. It is sooooooo great. You should try it.

I once heard a few parts of the book in this video and I couldn´t stop laughing. Hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0CX6fCt4G0

I would never guess that Benedict is narrating the book, he sound completely unlike himself.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera