BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2013 3:56 am  #1

Will Graham - Hannibal, Sherlock- TV and Aspergers

I feel a rant coming on...
I watched the first episode of Hannibal last night- in it Will Graham is asked where on the spectrum he is an he replies that he is on the Apsergers/ autistic side of the spectrum.  Like in Study of Pink, where I found myself shouting at the television when Sherlock declared himself a '"high functioning sociopath" when he  clearly has Aspergers- I found myself shouting at the TV here too- because Will Graham clearly does not have Aspergers.  The character is a gifted man (possibly psychotic if anything I feel)- who over -empathises with the victims to the extent he is able to tell what happened to them.  Over empathising is NOT a feature of Aspergers.  Sherlock's response to victims where he actually finds it easy not to care too much is far more typical of someone on the spectrum.  Sherlock has to learn empathy, Will Graham has to find a way to shut it out so he is not overwhelmed. 

I'm not sure why the writers of Hannibal put in that Asperger's line- I did find a quote from Bryan Fuller who is responsible for Hannibal, agreeing that in no way does Will have Aspergers- and yes, in fact he has the opposite.  http://fuckyeahannibal.tumblr.com/post/48232136565/bryan-fuller-about-will-graham-and-aspergers-syndrome  So why put it in?  Because I think 95% of viewers would just assume since the character identifies himself as such he must have it - just like most would assume Sherlock is a high functioning sociopath.

As a psychologist, I am often asked by parents to help them work out whether their child has autism, ADD etc.  As a parent of child with many autistic traits, but definitely not autism, and someone who has worked with hundreds of kids on the spectrum to various degrees (as a special ed teacher and a psychologist), I often resist giving kids labels unless it is really clear.  In my opinion, a lot of people are just quirky and people who are on the spectrum are usually so impaired in terms of their function that the difference between them and just quirky is very clear.  But I do think if you are going to give someone a label at least make it valid and don't misrepresent it.  To me, its like calling someone deaf when they are clearly blind.  Is the problem that us psychologists don't explain the terms enough?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 6, 2013 5:44 am  #2

Re: Will Graham - Hannibal, Sherlock- TV and Aspergers

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

Is the problem that us psychologists don't explain the terms enough?

Working in the medical profession too, and dealing with the Top Ten myths every day I reckon the problem has been identified by Sherlock: people do not like to think.

In the age of Wikipedia, Open Access Education and YouTube one has precious few excuses for 'ignorance'!

October 6, 2013 12:07 pm  #3

Well, as far as Sherlock goes...I don't really think he seriously means it when he says "high functioning sociopath". I somehow doubt that he cares what label he's given...he just labels himself something that he thinks will let him get away with his actions and push people away. Later, in HoB, Lestrade and John are talking and they say "it appeals to his..." "Asperger's?" So they aren't really fooled by his attempts to "cut himself off" from others.

I haven't seen Hannibal, so I can't speculate as to what it means.

On a personal note, I do understand where you are coming from.  My son just turned 2 years old and has a speech delay, but it otherwise very normal in his development.  He started preschool, and after only a few days, his teacher has come to me with "concerns" for his development...insinuating that he has autism.  Her reasons?  He ignores her, plain and simple.  Because he ignores her and doesn't talk much, she has brought it upon herself to diagnose my son with autism.  He shows no signs of autism (he has been evaluated and receives development therapy for his speech delay), but she has interpreted his ignoring her as "something's wrong!"  People are quick to label others whose behavior doesn't match their expectations, and many don't actually know what they are looking for.

Last edited by sj4iy (October 6, 2013 1:16 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 6, 2013 7:26 pm  #4

sj4iy wrote:

On a personal note, I do understand where you are coming from.  My son just turned 2 years old and has a speech delay, but it otherwise very normal in his development.  He started preschool, and after only a few days, his teacher has come to me with "concerns" for his development...insinuating that he has autism.  Her reasons?  He ignores her, plain and simple.  Because he ignores her and doesn't talk much, she has brought it upon herself to diagnose my son with autism.  He shows no signs of autism (he has been evaluated and receives development therapy for his speech delay), but she has interpreted his ignoring her as "something's wrong!"  People are quick to label others whose behavior doesn't match their expectations, and many don't actually know what they are looking for.

The exact same situation happened to me.  I even published an article about the experience in a parenting magazine about it (I can pm you this if you are interested it is a pdf file).  My daighter is naturally very shy and at her creche they told me they were very concerned something was wrong. She also screamed everytime the "cleaning up song" came on . They told me this was due to sensory processing difficulties. Turns out, my daughter is a shy,quirky  little soul who doesn't like cleaning up, but I remember how awful and scary it was to be told something was wrong even when it was by someone much less qualified than myself professionally and who didn't know my daughter well at all. At the time, I was very freaked out and sent my poor daughter to paediatrician, psych, speech, ot assessments. I really regret not trusting myself more and also not reconsidering the childcare centre, which I kept her at miserable for another year.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 6, 2013 8:41 pm  #5

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

The exact same situation happened to me. I even published an article about the experience in a parenting magazine about it (I can pm you this if you are interested it is a pdf file). My daighter is naturally very shy and at her creche they told me they were very concerned something was wrong. She also screamed everytime the "cleaning up song" came on . They told me this was due to sensory processing difficulties. Turns out, my daughter is a shy,quirky little soul who doesn't like cleaning up, but I remember how awful and scary it was to be told something was wrong even when it was by someone much less qualified than myself professionally and who didn't know my daughter well at all. At the time, I was very freaked out and sent my poor daughter to paediatrician, psych, speech, ot assessments. I really regret not trusting myself more and also not reconsidering the childcare centre, which I kept her at miserable for another year.

That's awful...but I'm glad she had someone like you fighting for her

My son is literally the youngest child in his class (he only turned 2 on Sept 16th), but I noticed around 18 months that he was behind on his speech development.  I had him evaluated by Early Intervention services and he qualified for their developmental therapy.  He was evaluated for everything and anything because of his young age...and it became clear that he had no other developmental delays or warning signs.  However, he is a very strong willed child, which, combined with his lack of verbal communication and his immaturity, probably makes him stand out (and not in a good way) in his class.  He's also never been in a daycare situation,  so it's all very new to him.  I told his therapist, and she is going to go and observe the class with me this week to see if we can come up with solutioins for helping Jack in the class...otherwise, I will move him to another school.  Personally, I think the teacher is probably expecting too much of him at this point (4 classes isn't very long for a 2 year old to 'fall in line'), but I will see what is going on in his class and make a decision from there.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

March 28, 2014 12:11 am  #6

My cousin has a sister *different dads so the sister is non relation to me*

her 5 year old has aspergers he was diagnosed about a year ago.

My cousin as much as i love her has now jumped on the band wagon and is demading her 2 year old be tested.

her reason he throws tantrums, doesnt talk right *babbles* and points at stuf repateing over and over *eg "OOK MUM A BAN" look mum a van.

my personal opinion.

A perfectly normal 2 year old.

her sister told her that she gets extra money and once a year tickets to a caravan park of her choice 

If i fond out this is the only reason my cousin is doing this i will not be happy.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

March 28, 2014 7:35 am  #7

Relations can be...odd!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 29, 2014 12:59 am  #8

That is so true.

Benedict Cumberbatch

"So, I am human, I’m not as tall as people think I am... I’m nice-ish, clever, important to some people, but I tend to rub them up the wrong way."

Board footera