BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2013 6:49 pm  #1

Introductions

Well, since I have already posted another place in the forum I suppose I had better introduce myself.
I only registered on this forum last weekend and had some initial difficulties. May I here add a great thank you to our admin for very prompt service in addressing it. Usually I lurk for longer than this before making my first post, but an issue in the Scandal in Belgravia thread was too delightful to not address.

So who am I?
A woman in my thirties who has had an abiding love for Holmes and Watson since I read "The Hound of the Baskerville's" at age 7 and who spends far too much time on this fandom, tends to read books on strange subjects, has a memory for details that is by most described as freakish and who's only knowledge of sports is the off-side rule in football (soccer).
Not to mention a sense of humour that is often odd and nerdy, as my pseud here may indicate, and I am a complete canon geek where Holmes is concerned.

Last edited by Ormond Sacker (October 3, 2013 6:52 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it nice not being me? It must be so relaxing.

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 3, 2013 6:53 pm  #2

Re: Introductions

Hello and welcome!  Hope you have fun here and look forward to your posts

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 3, 2013 8:21 pm  #3

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Well, since I have already posted another place in the forum I suppose I had better introduce myself.
I only registered on this forum last weekend and had some initial difficulties. May I here add a great thank you to our admin for very prompt service in addressing it. Usually I lurk for longer than this before making my first post, but an issue in the Scandal in Belgravia thread was too delightful to not address.

So who am I?
A woman in my thirties who has had an abiding love for Holmes and Watson since I read "The Hound of the Baskerville's" at age 7 and who spends far too much time on this fandom, tends to read books on strange subjects, has a memory for details that is by most described as freakish and who's only knowledge of sports is the off-side rule in football (soccer).
Not to mention a sense of humour that is often odd and nerdy, as my pseud here may indicate, and I am a complete canon geek where Holmes is concerned.

Welcome! You sound very cool! Hope to see you around!

October 4, 2013 9:20 pm  #4

Hello and welcome to the forum. Always good to welcome another knowledgeable Canonite! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 5, 2013 7:01 pm  #5

Hi I am new here too, lots to catch-up on!

October 5, 2013 7:04 pm  #6

HI, welcome and enjoy! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

October 6, 2013 7:37 am  #7

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I'm sooo curious about the " books on strange subjects", would you mind giving us examples? It sounds wonderfully strange.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 6, 2013 10:26 am  #8

Hello! Welcome to the forum. Glad we could get your registration sorted OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

October 6, 2013 11:54 am  #9

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Ahahaha, took me a few seconds to realise the origin of your user name. 
Anyway, have a nice time here. Cup of tea, dear?

Greetings from Germany,
Mary

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

October 6, 2013 5:01 pm  #10

Mary Me wrote:

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Ahahaha, took me a few seconds to realise the origin of your user name. 
Anyway, have a nice time here. Cup of tea, dear?

Greetings from Germany,
Mary

Thanks dear that would be lovely. As long as you don't call me James 
And thank you to everyone for the warm welcome.

@Schmiezi: No I wouldn't mind. Right now my shelf of books I'm reading contains:
"Forensic Science: A Very Short Introduction" by Jim Fraser (It's exactly what the title says and brilliant for my purposes since it is written by a Brit. No real scientific background needed for this one)
"Interpretation of Bloodstain Evidence at Crime Scenes" by Stuart H. James & William G. Eckert (haven't got very far in that one yet)
"Criminal Poisening: Clinical and Forensic Perspectives" by Holstege, Neer, Saathoff & Furbee (Yes that last guy is named Furbee I'm not making this up. A good beginners guide to all types of poisons and poisoning, with lots of illustrative cases. Some knowledge of chemistry and biology necessary to profit fully from this book)
"Evidence from the Earth: Forensic Geology and Criminal Investigation" by Raymond C. Murray (a thorough if sometimes scientifically heavy guide to this subject, though it is somewhat lightened by tales of various cases in which forensic geology have played a part such as determining if a painting is a fake or genuine. Good knowledge of chemistry and some physics minimum requirement. Getting a good beginner's guide to geology is a good idea too.)
And finally "Sherlock and the Transmedia Fandom" byStein & Busse (ed.) (about the Sherlock show, its fans, how it has spread across all forms of media platforms and why this particular version is so popular).
The reason why at least the first four books constitutes weird is that I am reading them voluntarily. Well, more or less so. I write fanfics in the Sherlockverse, most of them detective stories, and I want to get the science right and go beyond being handwavey on the subject. So, I've set up my own reading list of books on various aspects of the forensic sciences.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An apostrophe makes the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

October 6, 2013 5:05 pm  #11

See, I knew it would be wonderfully strange.

There's a forensic book on my shelf, too, by the way, for the same purpose. Recommended by someone else from the forum, so it's safe to say it's not just the two of us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 6, 2013 5:15 pm  #12

Schmiezi wrote:

There's a forensic book on my shelf, too, by the way, for the same purpose. Recommended by someone else from the forum, so it's safe to say it's not just the two of us.

Mind telling the title? I can always use more.

October 6, 2013 5:48 pm  #13

Warm welcome and enjoy it here!
Yes, I also was completely lost when I found The Hound of the Baskervilles ...at the age of 11? Don´t know, but it remains my favourite Doyle´s story.

Tout peut arriver dans la vie, et surtout rien.

October 7, 2013 4:42 am  #14

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Mind telling the title? I can always use more.

I wouldn't mind at all, but it's in German, so probably not exactly helpful for you ...

October 7, 2013 9:32 am  #15

Welcome! Glad to have you here!

First read The hound of the Baskervilles at about the same age as you but it was a simplified comic strip version

Love your nickname, though Sherlock Holmes & John H.Watson still sound better than Sheridan Hope & Ormond Sacker, hehe!

Just like old times...

October 7, 2013 9:56 am  #16

Hi and welcome to the forum!
And thanks for mentioning "Sherlock and Transmedia Fandom" in your answer to Schmiezi, I had a look at it right away. It's probably the least strange of the books you've mentioned, but I'm really tempted to have a closer look.

Have fun here!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 7, 2013 6:34 pm  #17

@Schmeizi: It wouldn't necessarily matter. While German isn't one of the languages I am completely fluent in I can usually muddle along.

@Punch me: I wholeheartedly concur. And may I add how thrilled I am to be in forum that actually gets the joke.

@ SolarSystem: I can only recommend the book. On a funny side note and in reference to the Johnlock thread in this forum, at least two of the essay contributors describes Sherlock's looks as Byronic. And it's not when quoting fans or fanfics or anything, they do it all by themselves. All of the contributors are acknowledge scholars, so at least we are in good company with that one :D

October 7, 2013 6:43 pm  #18

@Schmeizi: Btw, when you said you have the book "for similar reason" do you write fanfics too? With detective parts in them? If yes are they posted and where can I find them?

October 8, 2013 4:39 am  #19

Ormond Sacker wrote:

@Schmeizi: Btw, when you said you have the book "for similar reason" do you write fanfics too? With detective parts in them? If yes are they posted and where can I find them?

Yes, I do. With whole detectives in it.

And I'm not the only one around. Just check the fanfic threats

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=32

There are quite a few forum  members who are writing fanfics. We also have a community on fanfiction.net, see:

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/BBC-Sherlock-Fan-Forum-Writers/106870/

I think (hope) all writers from the forum are in there, not all of them with all of their stories, but it gives you a nice impression of the amount of creativity around. Let me know if there is a fanfic you would like to contribute.

October 8, 2013 10:22 am  #20

Schmiezi wrote:

Ormond Sacker wrote:

Yes, I do. With whole detectives in it.

And I'm not the only one around. Just check the fanfic threats

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=32

There are quite a few forum  members who are writing fanfics. We also have a community on fanfiction.net, see:

http://www.fanfiction.net/community/BBC-Sherlock-Fan-Forum-Writers/106870/

I think (hope) all writers from the forum are in there, not all of them with all of their stories, but it gives you a nice impression of the amount of creativity around. Let me know if there is a fanfic you would like to contribute.

Fanfic threats? Erh... should I be worried?

You know, you may just convince me to use my ff.net profile. The reason i don't use it is that my stories have jpg files in them, clues, and I can't for the death of me figure out how to post picture in the text on ff.net. If someone does know how please tell me how it's done. Well, the rather weird posting procedure isn't helping matters, but that is the main reason. I'm on AO3 though.
I do have some short ones, seasonal fics and prize fics that I might post though.

Board footera