BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2014 9:07 am  #1641

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Mattlocked wrote:

I don't understand why you ask that question here and now, but may I remind you that Johnlock isn't all and only about sex.
Let's call it not friendship, but romance. Which, and I hope you agree with me here, is a difference.

This is a bit of a grey area, and where i get confused about what Johnlock actually is!

Of course you can have a friendship with romance.  It can feel very much like a love affair, with the elements you'd associate with that: romance, love, euphoria, jealousy, yearning, intimacy, passion, secret language, etc.  The difference is that it's NOT about sex.   That's the main divider between friends and lovers.  So to me, saying that John and Sherlock's attraction to each other isn't sexual, means that they are friends, however loving. 

Now obviously, there is a bit of middle ground, when sexual attraction comes into a friendship but isn't realised.   That could be due to unconscious repression (they don't recognise that's what they're feeling), deliberate repression (they knowingly try to stop feeling that way), it's unrequited (one feels it and the other doesn't) or it could be out there and acknowledged by both parties but not acted on (for instance, because both parties are attached to others).  I suspect that this is sometimes where Johnlock finds it's place - not with Sherlock and John being fully-fledged lovers behind the scenes, but with them being at some stage of feeling sexual attraction but not acting on it.  (Although I find it difficult to see a really convincing barrier to them going ahead if they both clearly fancy each other).

It's not love that changes it from a friendship to something else, it's sex.  Or sexual attraction.  Not romance, because you can have romance in a friendship, without sexual attraction.

Last edited by Liberty (August 2, 2014 9:11 am)

August 2, 2014 10:39 am  #1642

I always thought that it was possible to have a relationship that combines friendship, love, and sexuality. I am speaking from experience. What I really do not understand about this whole thread is the tendency to compartmentalise.

On another note: a funny thing I have been noting for auite a long time is that it is usually those who are anti-Johnlock keep going on about sex.  

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 2, 2014 11:09 am  #1643

Yes, of course it is possible, Susi!   Friendship doesn't disappear when you fall in love or have sex, and lovers can be each others friends. 

But .. the need to comparmentalise or categorise it in some way is because Johnlock exists at all.  I'm still not even sure what it is - at first I thought it was just seeing Sherlock and John as lovers in terms of fantasy or fanfiction, in which case I was "for" it even before I watched the series.   But reading more it seems to be something else - saying that they are either lovers in the series as we see it, or are about to become lovers on screen.  That's the one I'm not so sure about. 

The reason sex is important, is because I'm sure everybody sees a beautiful, loving friendship.  There is no argument there.    The debate has to come out of whether it's something more than that, or different to that: i.e. is there sexual attraction as well?   If they have friendship and love but don't fancy each other, it's not Johnlock, is it?  It's just about the special friendship that everybody sees.  Or isn't it?  Enlighten me .

Last edited by Liberty (August 2, 2014 11:11 am)

August 2, 2014 11:17 am  #1644

Well, for me is is nothing more than a handy abbreviation for "loving, sexual, exclusive relationship between Sherlock and John". I read a lot of fanfics but was not sure if they would ever extend to the series as well. As for others, series 3 changed that for me.
For me the important word is "exclusive". I am thinking into the future and cannot see the boys returning to what they had before (frustrating serial-dating resp. celibacy). Steven and Mark have mentioned quite often that there is a storytelling arc, that the characters develop, so there is a need for change on all levels. They do not repeat themselves but strive for something new. And for me they have dropped enough hints where this may lead. 
Does anyone really see them in a beautiful loving friendship while John is married or otherwise permanently attached to a woman? I do not see this.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 2, 2014 12:28 pm  #1645

Thank you.  I hadn't thought much about the "exclusive" aspect.   I think somebody who is married can still have a beautiful, intense friendship with somebody else.  But with those two ... I noticed that when Sherlock is "involved" with Irene, John is shut out.  I didn't think of it in terms of only having one primary relationship at a time - more that Sherlock tends to keep his cards close to his chest anyway, but I'm sure I could be convinced.   I can't say much about Mary, because I still have two episodes to watch (I know, I know, but I don't want to rush!  Should be finished by the end of August). 

August 2, 2014 12:36 pm  #1646

My pleasure.
I try not to spoiler you but what changed things for me was finally seeing how much Sherlock cares and what losing John in a way by marriage does to him. After seeing series 3, I simply cannot believe that Sherlock could be happy while John is in a permanent relationship with someone else. Of course they could go for having a deeply unhappy Sherlock for the rest of the show. But will they really do that?

As for Irene - yes, this is what many people interpret as John being jealous in which way ever. Counting text messages, throwing in snappy remarks about baby names ...

August 2, 2014 5:31 pm  #1647

John was surprised how Sherlock seemed to react to Irene and wasn't really sure how he felt about her...
I don't think he was ever really jealous, he was just concerned Irene was bad for Sherlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2014 6:25 pm  #1648

Well, for me his reaction Irene in connection with his reaction to Janine are quite telling. Remember his words "Glad you pulled?" in TSoT? This was still a joke. But when he met her coming from Sherlock's bedroom wearing Sherlock's shirt and not much else and heard her splashing with Sherlock in Sherlock's bathroom before being kissed by Sherlock in front of his eyes … They could have shown a short moment of surprise, a joke or two but chose to make him go on about it nonstop while Sherlock talked about the all-important Magnussen case. 

But I suppose this is one of the examples where you can read scenes in more than one way. 

August 2, 2014 6:45 pm  #1649

SusiGo wrote:

Well, for me his reaction Irene in connection with his reaction to Janine are quite telling. Remember his words "Glad you pulled?" in TSoT? This was still a joke. But when he met her coming from Sherlock's bedroom wearing Sherlock's shirt and not much else and heard her splashing with Sherlock in Sherlock's bathroom before being kissed by Sherlock in front of his eyes … They could have shown a short moment of surprise, a joke or two but chose to make him go on about it nonstop while Sherlock talked about the all-important Magnussen case. 

But I suppose this is one of the examples where you can read scenes in more than one way. 

The way I interpret the scene is John's so jealous his eyes are about to cross.

But that's just me.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 2, 2014 6:52 pm  #1650

I think John is jealous, but this doesn't make him to be in love. The same i think about Sherlock at the wedding when he sees the ex-commander of John.  Weren't you ever jealous when your friends spend all of the sudden more time with or trusted more someone else? Tells a lot about the insecurities one have.... 

August 2, 2014 6:59 pm  #1651

Indeed it does.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 2, 2014 7:35 pm  #1652

tonnaree wrote:

The way I interpret the scene is John's so jealous his eyes are about to cross.

But that's just me.   

No, it's not just you.

Judging from his body language and face and all I would say he is definitely jealous, there is little room for interpreting it another way. Of course, one can say that the reason for his jealousy could be love or friendship.

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 2, 2014 7:35 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 2, 2014 7:37 pm  #1653

I think he's just amazed.

August 2, 2014 7:46 pm  #1654

He keeps being amazed for quite a long time. 

August 2, 2014 7:47 pm  #1655

Well he always thought girlfriends weren't Sherlock's area!

August 2, 2014 7:47 pm  #1656

He's easy to amaze.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 2, 2014 7:48 pm  #1657

He is gormless sometimes!

August 2, 2014 7:51 pm  #1658

Probably not thinking with his brain when it comes to Sherlock.

August 2, 2014 8:58 pm  #1659

Probably.
Then again, when Irene tells Sherlock to "impress a girl", Sherlock does exactly that - and is looking at John immediately after he deciphered Irene's code. So who's the girl in that scenario?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 2, 2014 9:02 pm  #1660

Oh, they are both the girl.

Something that should probably be discussed in the OTHER thread. Shame on me.

Board footera