BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 3, 2013 2:59 pm  #141

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SolarSystem wrote:

To me it doesn't feel like a romantic relationship in the typical sense of the word either, but it feels like a friendship so deep and caring and full of love - and even if they don't share a bed, from my personal experience I would say that what they have together goes far deeper than what lots of couples in so-called romantic relationships share.

That is what I feel as well.
And, so far, to John, Sherlock is more important than his girlfriends

sj4iy wrote:

I've always felt that they feel like brothers.  Both of them have problems with their sibling and find a true brotherly relationship with each other.

Imo, brotherly relationship has its limits, and, as both of them have no good relationship with their sibling, I don't think they can empathise themselveswith such a relationship.

Btw, in canon, there is a picture, which I had posted in the other thread,
drawn by Paget, showing Holmes with his hand locked onto Watson's elbow as they 'strolled about together' .Do you think it's just common for friends to go like that in those days?

October 3, 2013 3:31 pm  #142

holmes23 wrote:

sj4iy wrote:

I've always felt that they feel like brothers. Both of them have problems with their sibling and find a true brotherly relationship with each other.

Imo, brotherly relationship has its limits, and, as both of them have no good relationship with their sibling, I don't think they can empathise themselveswith such a relationship.

Btw, in canon, there is a picture, which I had posted in the other thread,
drawn by Paget, showing Holmes with his hand locked onto Watson's elbow as they 'strolled about together' .Do you think it's just common for friends to go like that in those days?

Many people have friends that they consider "siblings" more than their own siblings.  I have a brother I don't get along with at all...but I have a friend whom I consider the little brother I never had.  Does that mean he and I had a sexual relationship?  Noooooo, not at all.  Both of us are happily married to the loves of our lives.  But we have an extremely close relationship, nevertheless.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

October 3, 2013 4:15 pm  #143

sj4iy wrote:

...but I have a friend whom I consider the little brother I never had.  Does that mean he and I had a sexual relationship?  Noooooo, not at all..

I don't know why my words got interpretted in that way  
Should friendship always be brotherly relationship? or does the absence of a brotherly relationship in a friendship mean the presence of a sexual relationship.?

October 3, 2013 8:54 pm  #144

Fabulous.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 3, 2013 10:09 pm  #145

Agape sounds pretty darn romantic to me!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 4, 2013 5:30 am  #146

Depends on your definition of romantic, I guess.
Agape is a pure, selfless love.
I think of romance as flowers and wine and ultimately sex and sorry, I'm gonna have to insert an eye roll here, again!

Last edited by besleybean (October 4, 2013 3:46 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 4, 2013 6:52 am  #147

Lets say Sherlock is asexual, wouldn't  his 'agape' with John (I'm eye rolling myself here don't worry!) be the equivalent of being in a long term couple type loving  relationship, like marriage? Having been married myself now 11 years, I would have to say that while sex is important a loving romantic relationship can exist very well without it. for someone who is most likely asexual, I imagine that is even more so the case.
Have tosay I find from Sherlock's persepctive, Johnlock is the real deal. I personally wonder a bit more about it from John's perspective.  I think the relationship with Sherlock os more confronting for him because it challenges what he thinks he wanted out of life- hemce all the denial, serial dating etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

October 4, 2013 8:22 am  #148

Yes, but I think the way in which John is needed by Sherlock is quite exceptional. Of course he might get something like this elsewhere, but it would be a more common sort of need. Sherlock does not need him for the reasons a 'normal' girlfriend would need him for, or at least not only for those reasons, there's much more - I'm just saying: "could be dangerous". And if Mycroft is indeed right and John misses the battlefield, then Sherlock is the perfect partner for him.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 4, 2013 8:41 am  #149

Although this is an interesting discussion, sometimes I just forget about canon and logic and political correctness and ship Johnlock because they're just so cute and, come on, they want to kiss, everyone could see that! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

October 4, 2013 8:45 am  #150

Oh, I couldn't have said it any better, QE!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

October 4, 2013 11:20 am  #151

Yea.  *giggle*  What QE said. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 4, 2013 3:48 pm  #152

Nothing to do with political correctness...which would have the characters as gay!
I don't think they want to kiss each other at all.
Why do you think they do?

Last edited by besleybean (October 4, 2013 3:49 pm)

October 5, 2013 4:54 am  #153

Sherlock and John's relationship reminds me a bit of my own life...

My husband had a very complicated mind (amongst other things, he suffered from a quite severe paranoid illness). He was very intelligent (high IQ) and interesting (I admired him a lot), but he had no social abilities. Most of the time, he was very tactless, sounded cold, childish, full of himself, even mean sometimes, looked like people were boring him to death and lost himself in his own world whenever he started to talk about his passions (medicinal and eatable plants, very expensive tea, Japanese culture and language, voice actors...) and needless to say that many people disliked him and few of them could stand him, let alone LIVE with him.

I managed to see the beautiful things he had buried inside him and that only those who were patient enough to "extract" them could end liking him. It took a lot of time. It wasn't easy everyday, and unfortunately, it all went very wrong in the end... because he realised he needed me more than I needed him... (it is quite a cruel thing to say, I admit. But it's a long story, so please don't judge. I made mistakes but he did too, but I'm not here to talk bad about someone who's dead...)

Anyway, I think John and Sherlock have quite a similar relationship.

No one can stand Sherlock, until John comes along. There is a chemistry between them, whatever we put under it (friendship, love...).

Sherlock is a pain, but John sees the good in him. He admires him when people usually tell him to piss off and that flatters Sherlock. He can see that behind Sherlock's cold mask, there is a good man, who could be even better, and who actually gets better with John around because John is like a 'barometer' to him, and doesn't hesitate to scold him if he does something wrong. Sherlock can complain about that, he actually needs someone to do this for him (just like I think that deep inside, he likes Mycroft treating him as a child), otherwise he wouldn't ask John's opinion or approvement ("Not good?"). John is patient and can stand Sherlock's habits and way of acting when most people would be fed up within 24 hours.

On the other hand, Sherlock, as much as he'd probably hate to admit it, is very attached to John. I think that is the closest thing to love he has ever felt (that doesn't necesseraly imply sexual desire and all. Like I said before, I think John loves him to bits but as a friend, and I think Sherlock loves him "full stop", and I'd like to think that if ever he once felt like experiencing something else than platonic love, it could only be with John, but that's only how I see it). John is not 'extraordinary'. I mean, he's your average man. But if some other people can understand Sherlock and appreciate him to different extents (I think of Mycroft and Lestrade there), John is the only one who can stand him, and he is actually the only one Sherlock can stand too.

John could find himself a girlfriend. He is sweet, caring, funny when he wants to... That wouldn't be a problem (so far, his last relationships went all wrong mostly because of Sherlock: because Sherlock always interferes --ie. John's date with Sarah, Sherlock calling Jeanette Sarah, on purpose I suspect-- or because Sherlock always comes first for John --ie when he 'abandons' Jeanette at Christmas to look after Sherlock. Jeanette herself can see that she will always come second to Sherlock. The problem is not John himself) but he'd never find someone who would need him, even "depends" on him, as much as Sherlock does.

And believe me, there is something so enriching, so warm, so flattering in knowing you can see things in someone that no one else sees, that someone needs you: he doesn't need anyone, no, he needs YOU, in realising that person gets better with us around, knowing you are the only one he truly cares about... It makes you feel special.

John is not extraordinary but he is extraordinary to Sherlock. John is "average", but he is "special" to Sherlock. And I think John really needs to feel "special". Besides, John had a dull life. He was bored to death and Sherlock was exactly what he needed in his life. He would probably get bored with a "normal girlfriend", "normal life"...  They complete each other.

That's why I think they are each other's missing puzzle piece and are perfect together.

Last edited by Punch me in the face (October 5, 2013 5:54 am)

Just like old times...

October 5, 2013 5:43 am  #154

What a beautiful summary Punch me.  My feelings precisely...but better articulated.  I remember when I was young, single and despairing, someone told me "Every pot has it's lid"- very true.  John is Sherlock's and it sounds like you were your husbands

October 5, 2013 7:32 am  #155

I agree too and thank you.
Only one problem with the latter part of your analysis.
In The Canon:  John marries.

October 5, 2013 9:08 am  #156

Punchme, thank you for your analysis and for sharing those things about you and your husband with us. It almost brought tears to my eyes, I have to admit...
And I totally agree with what you said about Sherlock and John and their relationship. I especially loved this part:

"On the other hand, Sherlock, as much as he'd probably hate to admit it, is very attached to John. I think that is the closest thing to love he has ever felt (that doesn't necesseraly imply sexual desire and all. Like I said before, I think John loves him to bits but as a friend, and I think Sherlock loves him "full stop", and I'd like to think that if ever he once felt like experiencing something else than platonic love, it could only be with John, but that's only how I see it)."

October 5, 2013 9:23 am  #157

Thank you

Besley: yeah i know he does.  That's why i said in the end John doesn't need Sherlock as much as sherlock needs him and, as much as I love writing and reading Johnlock fanfictions, that's also why I don't think it is canon (even though i know a gay man who once got married for years and had kids before coming out, I really don't think it could be the case for John) but I still like to think that the theory of Sherlock being in love with John could be canon (but in a platonic way -so not necessarily implying physical desire- and without Sherlock realising it is love) could be true (note I say "could be", not "is"). He sounds quite bitter and desperate at the end of The Sign of Four, he can't bring himself to congratulate John on his future wedding and the last line of the book is pretty sad I think.

And then ACD must have realised he couldn't write sherlock without john because he brings him back to the front scene in Scandal in bohemia and then makes him move back to baker street.

Just like old times...

October 5, 2013 9:26 am  #158

ps thank you solar. I m on my phone and hadn't seen you had posted a reply while i was typing my message. I'm glad you share my point of view

Just like old times...

October 5, 2013 11:17 am  #159

That was lovely Punch.  Well said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 5, 2013 12:49 pm  #160

Very nice story, Punch me in the fac.  Your story sounds very familiar to me, as I have also had experience with a similar situation...unfortunately, for reasons entirely personal, our friendship ended.

I know that I could never be John Watson, always willing to overlook Sherlock's faults despite that greatness that I could see inside.  I think that it takes a special kind of person to do that, and I will be the first to say that I am not that type of person.  I do, however, have tremendous respect for people who are, because they are the people who know how to bring out the best in others.

Last edited by sj4iy (October 5, 2013 3:18 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

Board footera