BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 27, 2014 8:44 pm  #1481

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

So what? They may stay quite close to canon, but nevertheless I believe they still take the liberty of adding things/leaving things away they like/dislike.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 27, 2014 8:47 pm  #1482

I am not disputing that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 27, 2014 8:48 pm  #1483

So they make also take liberties with the characters' relationships. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2014 8:53 pm  #1484

They could, but have stated they haven't written it any differently.
Unless they have a Gestalt moment, or somebody nobbles them...
I don't see it changing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 27, 2014 8:57 pm  #1485

Oh, I see a lot of changings! 

July 27, 2014 8:59 pm  #1486

SusiGo wrote:

So they make also take liberties with the characters' relationships. 

Which can be seen when we look at Mary. In canon she practically doesn't exist at all, in BBC Sherlock she turns up in three episodes (so far). If that isn't writing character relationships differently, then I don't know what is.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 27, 2014 9:00 pm  #1487

I do think the characters will develop and progress, but I don't think either Sherlock and John are suddenly going to be into men.
Mary doesn't change being married to John.

Last edited by besleybean (July 27, 2014 9:02 pm)

July 27, 2014 9:02 pm  #1488

Not suddenly. But slowly.............

July 27, 2014 9:04 pm  #1489

besleybean wrote:

Yeah, and she probably shot Sherlock in canon and ACD just didn't mention it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 27, 2014 9:04 pm  #1490

besleybean wrote:

I do think the characters will develop and progress, but I don't think either Sherlock and John are suddenly going to be into men.

They won't be going "into men", they would be going into ...each other - and they happen to be men. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 27, 2014 9:06 pm  #1491

Yes. This. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 27, 2014 9:09 pm  #1492

SolarSystem wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Yeah, and she probably shot Sherlock in canon and ACD just didn't mention it.

Good point. 

July 27, 2014 9:10 pm  #1493

I've remembered what I meant to say.
I watched the film 'Paul' last night.
I really enjoyed it.
I love Simon.
Interestingly it has a gay joke all the way through it.
Specifically other characters all assuming the 2 guys are a couple, when they are just friends.
Dunno what it is about Brit humour that does this so much.

Last edited by besleybean (July 27, 2014 9:12 pm)

July 27, 2014 9:18 pm  #1494

I do not know the film but I would like to know if the film is a serious drama, if one of the creators himself is gay and politically active in the LGBTG community, if the person commissioning the film was  gay, if it is produced by a company that has an express LGBTG friendly policy ...

Last edited by SusiGo (July 27, 2014 9:24 pm)

July 27, 2014 9:23 pm  #1495

No to the 1st and I have no idea about the rest.
I do however support full artistic freedom.

July 27, 2014 9:25 pm  #1496

besleybean wrote:

No to the 1st and I have no idea about the rest.
I do however support full artistic freedom.

So do I. And this includes showing characters in a love relationship that has not been explored before. 

July 27, 2014 9:27 pm  #1497

I would love that too, but do not think that is the remit of BBC Sherlock. 

July 27, 2014 9:28 pm  #1498

Paul? Is it the one with Simon Pegg?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092026/

July 27, 2014 9:29 pm  #1499

What does "full artistic freedom" have to do with "remit"?

July 27, 2014 9:33 pm  #1500

Well I think the Sherlock team express their artisitc freedom and they have stated they did not write the guys as a couple.
Yes, the Simon Pegg film.

Board footera