BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 20, 2014 9:21 pm  #1421

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

But he wore it before. Constantly. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2014 9:22 pm  #1422

But at that point John had only been married to Mary for how long, seven months...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 20, 2014 9:25 pm  #1423

I actually don't know how long they were married canonically...
But I'd be surprised if the show have it more than a few years...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2014 9:28 pm  #1424

Mary is still pregnant, so they can only have been married for about six to eight, nine months.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

July 20, 2014 9:30 pm  #1425

And we don't know how long they will be together, may depend on what her fate is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 20, 2014 9:34 pm  #1426

SusiGo wrote:

For the time being. Has anybody checked if he truly does not wear his wedding ring in the tarmac scene?

At Appledore, the ring on John's left hand is clearly visible.
In the tarmac scene it seems that he doesn't wear his ring.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

July 20, 2014 9:36 pm  #1427

besleybean wrote:

And we don't know how long they will be together, may depend on what her fate is.

That's not what I've been talking about anyway.

July 20, 2014 10:00 pm  #1428

Thank you for checking, Solar.

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 20, 2014 10:48 pm  #1429

Side of Angels wrote:

As far as using the word "cute" to describe John... I wish I could find it, but I saw a pic somewhere (I think on this forum) that had a photo of a kitten on one side, and Martin Freeman on the other side. It said something like, "There is no difference." I know it's not much of an explanation, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.

Oh I see. John makes you feel warm and fluffy inside^^ like cute things. It's a bit demeaning to John though.. I think he'd resent being compared to a kitten XD

SolarSystem wrote:

Just for the record: In my experience the word 'special' is mostly used by non-Johnlockers in discussions about Johnlock. It seems that non-Johnlockers assume that Johnlockers think that a relationship that is more than just platonic is more special. Maybe some Johnlockers think so, but on this forum I've not met one single Johnlocker who says that a platonic friendship is not special enough.
In my opinion every close friendship/relationship is special. Romance or sex coming into play doesn't make it more special, it just makes it different. And agreed, taking the step towards romance/sex might not always be a good step, sometimes it might do more harm than good.
But everything I have seen so far on "Sherlock" tells me that in case of Sherlock and John that step would do good, no harm.

Yeah, it surprised me that the overall opinion of Johnlockers is not that the friendship isn't enough. They actually value this tremendously, as it's the inspiration and actually part of johnlock itself.
So you think there are situations where something platonic shouldn't be made sexual? Like what?
I have to say I see a lot of harm that could be done.. the type of love and essence of the relationship would change. I feel like it would be a detriment to all of the beautifully inexplicable and selfless moments in their relationship that I've seen so far. 
If two people are sexual and romantic partners, it's expected and practically conventional when the situation arises in a film for one partner to sacrafice his life for the other. That's cliche, I mean. If two people are platonic, and one partner does sacrafice his life, its not entirely expected. It's remarkable that it defies convention. To me, that novelty is what makes J and S' romance matter so much.
If all the romantic tropes could be explained away with a sexual relationship, it would make it very simple to understand (and dimish the story, imo). But it can't. The only thing that can is love. And it's baffling. I think that's a crucial element and only one reason why I think sex would do damage.

besleybean wrote:

What sexual references?

The gay jokes, Irene saying they are couple, Hudson and her "if you'll be needing two bedrooms". I think they add the stuff in to latch on to the natural intrigue of sexual relationships- something that friendship isn't known for.

Last edited by Lue4028 (July 20, 2014 11:55 pm)

July 21, 2014 5:36 am  #1430

Schmiezi wrote:

Besides, well-founded interpretations are never just about "feel" and "support", but should always include "fact" and "prove", or at least an explanation why the interpreter sees "proof" in a scene. Again, I have seen that coming from Johnlockers, but never from non-Johnlockers.

Oh, but here it finally is. A meta from a non-Johnlocker showing that Sherlock is straight:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 21, 2014 6:49 am  #1431

That brought tears to my eyes, Schmiezi. 

July 21, 2014 7:23 am  #1432

Oh, but it's purely analytic. With proof and all.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 21, 2014 7:25 am  #1433

Fan fic and blogs are not BBC Sherlock's work and vision.

July 21, 2014 7:37 am  #1434

Oh, really? God, so all this time I was on the completely wrong track here... 

July 21, 2014 7:52 am  #1435

Well some of us obviously are.
Either the guys wiill end up together or they won't.
Because apparently there will be a reason they won't show them actually together, like a real couple and looking happy.
But maybe on that one occasion it will just because they want to leave it interpretation.

July 21, 2014 8:09 am  #1436

besleybean wrote:

Well some of us obviously are.

I completely agree with you.

July 21, 2014 8:11 am  #1437

Well, I thought this was about two fanboys creating their own kind of fan fiction. They said so themselves. But then of course they are lying constantly. 

July 21, 2014 8:20 am  #1438

I agree wwith your 1st 2 sentences.

July 21, 2014 8:21 am  #1439

I agree with all your sentences, Susi. 

July 21, 2014 8:30 am  #1440

Schmiezi wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Besides, well-founded interpretations are never just about "feel" and "support", but should always include "fact" and "prove", or at least an explanation why the interpreter sees "proof" in a scene. Again, I have seen that coming from Johnlockers, but never from non-Johnlockers.

Oh, but here it finally is. A meta from a non-Johnlocker showing that Sherlock is straight:

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

LOL ... what's that??? Definitely scientific research ...

Last edited by gently69 (July 21, 2014 8:31 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

Board footera