BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 2, 2014 10:18 am  #1281

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Side of Angels wrote:

Wow, I can't believe I read this entire thread.

Anyway, I found this forum because I was curious as to whether or not I was the only one who saw some UST between Sherlock and John. When I did a Google search on the topic, this thread came up.

My own personal views are more or less going to be a rehash of things already said, but here goes: I know that the show's creators deny anything beyond a bromance, but as a Doctor Who fan, I also know that Moffat lies. I'm not saying that he's defnitely lying here, but I take his words with a grain of salt. I accept that I might be reading too much into things due to the amazing chemistry between Martin and Ben, but there are also those little comments that come up here and there, such as John telling Irene that he's not gay, and Irene responding with, "I am, and look at us both," that make me think maybe we Johnlockers are on to something.

It's not that I want to take Sherlock and John's friendship and turn it sexual, or that I don't think bromance is good enough. I simply think they'd make a cute and interesting romantic couple (sex or no sex), especially considering how much they love and care for each other already. Whether or not I'd actually want to see Johnlock on the show -- I'm torn. On the one hand, shows often seem to lose something when UST is resolved. On the other hand, it would be fun to see them as a couple (and no, I wouldn't need to see any sex or evidence of it). Oh well, I'll just put my faith in the almighty Moftiss to make that decision for the show, and I'll just have to check out the fanfic recommendations for the time being!

Have you been to this thread yet dear?

The Comprehensive Johnlock Guide
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4862

We have loads of fun there.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 3, 2014 2:58 pm  #1282

I poked around there a bit shortly after I found the forum, but then I got sidetracked by all the other wonderful things here. Thanks for the reminder!

July 3, 2014 3:28 pm  #1283

Side of Angels wrote:

Wow, I can't believe I read this entire thread.

Anyway, I found this forum because I was curious as to whether or not I was the only one who saw some UST between Sherlock and John. When I did a Google search on the topic, this thread came up.

My own personal views are more or less going to be a rehash of things already said, but here goes: I know that the show's creators deny anything beyond a bromance, but as a Doctor Who fan, I also know that Moffat lies. I'm not saying that he's defnitely lying here, but I take his words with a grain of salt. I accept that I might be reading too much into things due to the amazing chemistry between Martin and Ben, but there are also those little comments that come up here and there, such as John telling Irene that he's not gay, and Irene responding with, "I am, and look at us both," that make me think maybe we Johnlockers are on to something.

It's not that I want to take Sherlock and John's friendship and turn it sexual, or that I don't think bromance is good enough. I simply think they'd make a cute and interesting romantic couple (sex or no sex), especially considering how much they love and care for each other already. Whether or not I'd actually want to see Johnlock on the show -- I'm torn. On the one hand, shows often seem to lose something when UST is resolved. On the other hand, it would be fun to see them as a couple (and no, I wouldn't need to see any sex or evidence of it). Oh well, I'll just put my faith in the almighty Moftiss to make that decision for the show, and I'll just have to check out the fanfic recommendations for the time being!

So nicely said. I think this is almost the way I see it 
This I find very interesting: "...but as a Doctor Who fan, I also know that Moffat lies. "
Don't we all know? 

And this seems to be the way I feel: "...It's not that I want to take Sherlock and John's friendship and turn it sexual, or that I don't think bromance is good enough. I simply think they'd make a cute and interesting romantic couple (sex or no sex), especially considering how much they love and care for each other already. Whether or not I'd actually want to see Johnlock on the show -- I'm torn."

Anyway: Have fun at the Johnlock Guide thread! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 3, 2014 3:31 pm  #1284

No need to feel torn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 3, 2014 3:35 pm  #1285

And what about this? "...but as a Doctor Who fan, I also know that Moffat lies. " 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 3, 2014 11:39 pm  #1286

I've been checking out this author's Johnlock fanfic today and came across this tumblr post by her: http://ivyblossom.tumblr.com/post/75500913415/repeat-after-me-steven-moffat-lies

Apologies if it's been posted before and I missed it, but I thought it was fitting.

July 4, 2014 6:32 am  #1287

Very fitting indeed. I love Ivyblossom's tumblr and her fanfics.  

And a quote in which he does not seem to lie for a change and which I like very much: 

“Everyone should enjoy the show the way they want to and all interpretations are equally valid.”
—     Steven Moffat on Sherlock. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 4, 2014 6:53 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 4, 2014 7:32 am  #1288

Funny how we all quote the bits we like!
Once again, he usually adds, or certainly had stated: but we did not write it that way.
And of course, we have had further statements since.
We'll see.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 4, 2014 7:45 am  #1289

Of course we do. But it has always been like that. People who did not like to see an emotional Sherlock quoted the "Sentimentalise him at your own risk" thing. And now look what they got in series 3. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 4, 2014 8:04 am  #1290

Well I didn't do that and neither do I accuse any of the team of lying.
I think it's funny that for some, they only tell the truth when it's somethhing they want to hear.
Again, nobody has ever wanted to put a block on interpretation...
That is an entirely different thing to how it was actually written.
It is also different to some people thinking the guys are actually in a relationship or are going to be.
I think the whole thing is fascinating: are people giving their full reasons for any anatgonism to Mary?
Would it have mattered what she was like?
I hope we'd all accept that the team will want to try and keep us as spoiler free as possible.
If they are asked a direct question in Q&A: is Moriarty dead?
Really, what are they supposed to say?
But I would love for somebody at a Q&A to ask then directly about Johnlock and see the answer.
Maybe we could actually have had this last time, if Caitlin hadn't gone into meltdown.

Last edited by besleybean (July 4, 2014 8:06 am)

July 4, 2014 8:17 am  #1291

I know you did not. It was just an example.
The funny thing is that Mark and Steven themselves say they are lying and seem to be absolutely fine with it. I do not accuse them of doing it, I am just stating a fact. Of course they do not want to give away anything about the show - be it Moriarty's fate or the direction the relationship of Sherlock and John will take.
So they said Moriarty was dead and maybe he is not. 
So they might say there will be no Johnlock and maybe there will. 

I do not get your words about Mary - full reasons? Do you think people do not like her because she comes between Sherlock and John? This is one perfectly good reason and not really a secret but there are more which are based on the way she behaves as a character and which have been discussed in detail in other threads. And last not least Canon in which she dies and Holmes and Watson live together again. Nothing mysterious about that. 

July 4, 2014 8:20 am  #1292

Yep and it will be interesting to see if Mary does meet her Canon fate.
A relationship isn't Canon.

July 4, 2014 8:24 am  #1293

Are all things that happened canon? I am not in canon that much so I really don't know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 4, 2014 8:26 am  #1294

No. They are doing an exciting mixture of Canon and non-Canon elements like turning Mary Watson into an assassin shooting the hero. Knowing this we can expect them to do a lot of other things that are not strictly in accordance with Canon. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 4, 2014 8:27 am)

July 4, 2014 8:28 am  #1295

So ... what's the problem with relationships of any kind then?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 4, 2014 8:31 am  #1296

None whatsoever if you ask me. 

July 4, 2014 8:32 am  #1297

Right, so let's do it.

(Tony Hadley)

July 4, 2014 9:04 am  #1298

besleybean wrote:

If they are asked a direct question in Q&A: is Moriarty dead?
Really, what are they supposed to say?
But I would love for somebody at a Q&A to ask then directly about Johnlock and see the answer.

If they don't give an honest answer about Moriarty being dead or alive, why should they give a believable answer about Johnlock? They would certainly give some sort of answer, but it would be for every single fan to decide for himself/herself whether or not that's teasing or something else. 
Let's face it, they won't tell us the truth about anything profound in advance, they just won't. And that's good. 

As for Mary: I explained in various threads why I do have severe problems with her, and I don't see why people who have a problem with her should justifiy themselves over and over again. If people who like her or who don't want anything to do with Johnlock aren't satisfied with those explanations, that's their problem, not mine. 
Maybe people who like Mary like her because they don't like the idea of Johnlock? And they certainly would never admit to that. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 4, 2014 9:06 am  #1299

Where can I sign this? 

July 4, 2014 9:09 am  #1300

I'll send you the form right away. Please sign page 1, attachment J and attachment S. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera