BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2014 4:58 pm  #1241

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

That remains to be seen.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 13, 2014 5:04 pm  #1242

I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 13, 2014 5:20 pm  #1243

Nobody asks you to.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 13, 2014 7:12 pm  #1244

If it's a joke I find it tasteless.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 13, 2014 7:19 pm  #1245

Not so much a joke as reflecting some views on 2 men flat sharing...something I personally wouldn't have an issue with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 13, 2014 7:48 pm  #1246

I think it is more than the flatshare. When Irene states they are a couple she does not just talk about them living together. Then there are the two gay men in the hotel in HoB who assume that they are a couple the moment they walk into the lobby. And I think that Magnussen's words about the "damsel in distress" and "look how you care about John Watson" are not about flatsharing either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2014 7:51 pm  #1247

CAM refers to John as Sherlock's friend...not boyfriend.

June 13, 2014 7:54 pm  #1248

But an interesting choice of words, equating John with a woman who has to be saved.
Mycroft used the same words when berating Sherlock for helping Irene who was definitely not Sherlock's friend. And not his love interest but it seems that Mycroft got that wrong.
So this is a term used by Mycroft for a person he thinks Sherlock fell in love with. So why should CAM not use it for a man he thinks Sherlock fell in love with?

Last edited by SusiGo (June 13, 2014 8:03 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 13, 2014 8:01 pm  #1249

I don't for one minute think Mycroft believes Sherlock and John are a couple...
But I do think he is amazed by Sherlock's love for John...possibly he has never experienced such love himself.

June 13, 2014 8:05 pm  #1250

Mycroft does not use the word for Sherlock and John but for Sherlock and Irene. And he thinks Sherlock fell in love with her. I quote:

The damsel in distress. (He smiles ironically.) In the end, are you really so obvious? Because this was textbook: the promise of love, the pain of loss, the joy of redemption; then give him a puzzle ... (his voice drops to a whisper while he twirls the end of his umbrella in the air) ... and watch him dance.
SHERLOCK: Don’t be absurd.
MYCROFT: Absurd? How quickly did you decipher that email for her? Was it the full minute, or were you really eager to impress?

(source: Ariane DeVere)

June 13, 2014 8:11 pm  #1251

Yeah well, I don't deal with Irene so good...

June 13, 2014 8:12 pm  #1252

I know. I was just pointing out the parallels.

June 13, 2014 8:16 pm  #1253

I do think there is a parallel, in the sense that both challenge Sherlock and possibly both change him...

June 13, 2014 8:38 pm  #1254

besleybean wrote:

The writers have spoken openly about having a running 'gay' joke through the series, just to address the issue of 2 men living together...but it is a joke.
And no they did not try to do something differently.

So is it a joke or not? I'm confused now by your changing opinions.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

June 13, 2014 8:45 pm  #1255

I meant it wasn't serious.

June 16, 2014 12:24 pm  #1256

I think Johnlock is rather like beauty: it is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I just don't see it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

June 19, 2014 5:14 pm  #1257

I found this on tumblr - quite interesting : 

I teach English as a second language to francophones (I live in a French-speaking place) and the topic of Sherlock just came up today. (My students occasionally get to listen to an episode of Cabin Pressure for a listening comprehension exercise, so the topic of Benedict and his other roles came up…) My student Michel, who is 55 and straight, has seen series 3 three times already, in English, no subtitles (meaning he probably didn’t comprehend 100% of the words), and he specifically asked me today about the nature of Sherlock and John’s relationship, referencing that very scene. He said that he was confused because he knows that John gets married in that episode, but that it’s obvious to him that Sherlock is is love with John, and wondered if John might not also have some feelings in return. He said he was confused because he knows that when the original stories were published, being gay wasn’t societally accepted, but since this version is a modern update, he doesn’t understand why they don’t just have a romantic relationship if they both feel that way, why John married a woman.

Bonus points to him for adding, “une femme HORRIBLE”, hahaha! Someone’s getting extra marks on his exam…  I then had to explain the concept of queer-baiting and that the show isn’t over, etc. He also couldn’t understand how John could have gone back to Mary after she shot Sherlock and I told him that I don’t understand that, either, lol. He then added that he assumes she’s in league with Moriarty, hahaha! He’s in no way familiar with the fandom, any meta, any fic - this is just his basic impressions. I love it. :D

Last edited by SusiGo (June 19, 2014 5:15 pm)

June 19, 2014 5:48 pm  #1258

Wow, this guy seems to be really clever. Doing those deductions only by watching the episodes, not being influenced by any fandom activities ... that's impressing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 19, 2014 5:53 pm  #1259

SusiGo wrote:

I found this on tumblr - quite interesting : 

I teach English as a second language to francophones (I live in a French-speaking place) and the topic of Sherlock just came up today. (My students occasionally get to listen to an episode of Cabin Pressure for a listening comprehension exercise, so the topic of Benedict and his other roles came up…) My student Michel, who is 55 and straight, has seen series 3 three times already, in English, no subtitles (meaning he probably didn’t comprehend 100% of the words), and he specifically asked me today about the nature of Sherlock and John’s relationship, referencing that very scene. He said that he was confused because he knows that John gets married in that episode, but that it’s obvious to him that Sherlock is is love with John, and wondered if John might not also have some feelings in return. He said he was confused because he knows that when the original stories were published, being gay wasn’t societally accepted, but since this version is a modern update, he doesn’t understand why they don’t just have a romantic relationship if they both feel that way, why John married a woman.

Bonus points to him for adding, “une femme HORRIBLE”, hahaha! Someone’s getting extra marks on his exam…  I then had to explain the concept of queer-baiting and that the show isn’t over, etc. He also couldn’t understand how John could have gone back to Mary after she shot Sherlock and I told him that I don’t understand that, either, lol. He then added that he assumes she’s in league with Moriarty, hahaha! He’s in no way familiar with the fandom, any meta, any fic - this is just his basic impressions. I love it. :D

He looked beyond the words!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 28, 2014 5:43 am  #1260

SusiGo wrote:

Exactly. And I repeat that the question of non-sexual close friendship or a loving sexual relationship is not about the one being not enough and wishing for more or whatever. These are two separate forms of relationship of equal value. 

But when so many people see evidence for the latter form of relationship one cannot simply dismiss all this as cheap teasing, joking or hallucinations. Just imagine what this would say about the makers' attitude towards their audience. 

The thing I have trouble with is how do you know it's "evidence" for the latter and not for the former? How do you know their actions and words indicate non-sexual love or sexual love- love is love, it's very hard to diferentiate between the two. What if the only way people in the show and audience can explain it is by labeling it sexual love? I feel like its feasilbe gay inferences made by Hudson, Irene, and others could be misinterpretations of an unconventional male relationship. Likewise, I think viewers could be misinterpreting because of these misinterpretations. the makers are being ambiguous with the inclusion of the jokes, but I think they do that to accurately depict the nature and intensity of real love. I may be erring on the "heteronormative" side, but it's because I agree with BB. I think it's depressing guys can't love each other without the suspicion that sex/sexual feelings are involved. We're used to seeing those dramatic tropes associated with sexual love in movies, so it's confusing, but what if the human heart is less comprehensible and predictable than romantic tropes = sexual intent? People say love has no boundaries, that it can defy convention, and I like to think that sexual feelings or familial relation shouldn't be a limiting factor that is required for deep love to make sense. 

Last edited by Lue4028 (June 28, 2014 6:43 am)

Board footera