BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 20, 2017 6:25 pm  #7581

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SusiGo wrote:

Mothonthemantel wrote:

No. Sherlock is the first person I have ever seen dribble WHITE vomit.
Then they twirled him around , shrunk him down and popped him into Johns mouth for a scene change.

After placing him in on a carpet with his bum in the air. 

Cheers, mate.
And for the second time, actually (we mustn't forget the same beautiful view in the pilot).

Mothonthemantel wrote:

They call it subliminally suggestive in advertising. 

Yep.
I tell you guys, the consistency with which such things are shown makes one really wonder about the mastermind behind it all. Seeing how directors change every ep, you know.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 20, 2017 6:44 pm  #7582

Yes the masterminds are Mark and Steven and they have said they did not write Johnlock into their show. I believe them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2017 6:52 pm  #7583

Bear in mind that I know nothing about cinematography, but ... here's an alternative view!  I don't know why the rainbows are there, but I do know that rainbows are a natural phenomenon - light breaks up into those particular colours.  It's something you can see outside in the sky.   It's possible that certain filming will cause the same phenomenon, and the cinematographers just like it, in the way they like lens flare (another thing I know nothing about).  It's an attractive effect.   They can't change the colours (and why would they want to?) because those just happen to be the colours you get with light refraction like that.   The natural rainbow came first, and the rainbow flag came later.  But the rainbow flag doesn't mean that all rainbows mean gay.

I also don't find the rainbow effects are that noticeable or intrusive.  It doesn't feel all rainbowy.  I didn't even notice at all until it was pointed out.

(And I know it's an old argument, so putting it in brackets, but in this day and age, hopefully it's OK to show gay characters openly, rather than through code).

January 20, 2017 7:20 pm  #7584

Sex seems to the the only thing some peple see and think about.
May I ask - as the resident alien - is that common?

January 20, 2017 7:26 pm  #7585

Actually...I have been going to say something, but held back.
But seeing as you've raised the subject- I will bite.
Our Sherlock speaks massively to the asexual community.
For my own part, I have long been aware that I am just not as sexually motivated as the vast majority of the population.
Some of the discussion on here frankly makes me feel quite uncomfortable.  But I don't thinkl I can complain about it, because of the nature of the thread.
But basically it does boil to things I've said before:  I find it sad if  it seems people can only appreciate love in a relationship sense.  What the heck actually is at all wrong with bromance?  I love it and it is NOT something inferior.
Our two guys love each as the very best of friends.

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2017 7:26 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 20, 2017 7:41 pm  #7586

I do love asexual Sherlock. Some of the best fanfics are about asexual Sherlock. *nods sagely*
I also don't think that bromance is in any way inferior.

For me, it's that foggy definition of love - does it have to cross into a physical relationship? Is it likely to do so? For some of my friends, sex isn't a culmination of a relationship at all (and I actually tend to agree).

It's just that I see him mooning over Jawn and, well, can't unsee it.

Last edited by ewige (January 20, 2017 7:44 pm)

-----

January 20, 2017 7:42 pm  #7587

Oh please we are at that point for the nth time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2017 7:45 pm  #7588

@ ewige  I'm not sure why it can't be unseen.
I really don't know when you've seen this mooning.
But even if you have, how come you can see that but not see him going all gooey eyed over and pausing, whimsically and saying 'The Woman' about Irene?

Last edited by besleybean (January 20, 2017 7:45 pm)

January 20, 2017 7:49 pm  #7589

Well I had not got around to watching Sherlock post S01 and randomly a colleague at work mentioned it was fabulous and they seemed to be gay. I have always like Holmes and Watson but I was quite surprised. So of course I went home and watched all 3 episodes in one night. To my surprise they were mentioning potential gayness several times per episode , at breakfast dinner and tea!
This continued along with the love theme right up until now. 
As for the writers , most of the people I know who watch would be hard pressed to repeat a single comment they have ever said regarding the show ( apart from perhaps when series are starting or filming ). Same goes for the crowd I watched T6T with in the pub.
That is why what is in the actual show is what matters, People may watch this in five years or ten years time and Moff and Gatt will be just names on the screen - so it has to stand on in merits and content alone.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 7:50 pm  #7590

I can actually understand not being able to unsee it!  I used to write fanfic, and loved to write something that happened "behind the scenes" into the story - so that you could have watched the film/series and added my scenes seamlessly.   It was great fun to do!  Anyway, I find it difficult to unsee that in the stories I wrote about - watching now, I would still imagine that, for instance, the characters looked awkward because one had propositioned the other off-screen (to choose a made-up example), rather than whatever the actors intended. 

January 20, 2017 7:52 pm  #7591

Maybe all the people who hoped for an on-screen romantic relationship should have read this 2010 Buzzfeed interview with Mark where he states: 

"And equally, I find flirting with the homoeroticism in Sherlock much more interesting."

He may find it funny but to many people this meant a lot. People who do not have his standing and influence and hoped for representation in a big show. I do not belong in this group but it still makes me sad and a little angry. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 20, 2017 8:04 pm  #7592

SusiGo wrote:

Maybe all the people who hoped for an on-screen romantic relationship should have read this 2010 Buzzfeed interview with Mark where he states: 

"And equally, I find flirting with the homoeroticism in Sherlock much more interesting."

He may find it funny but to many people this meant a lot. People who do not have his standing and influence and hoped for representation in a big show. I do not belong in this group but it still makes me sad and a little angry. 

Oh, so there are actual interviews still around? I always got a feeling when looking for them that they have been summarily culled or something. The cast and crew were very chatty about homoeroticism in the past, apparently.
I somehow wonder whether the change of direction has someting to do with Martin's and Ben's private lives. They seem to take it all as good fun during interviews but with actors you can never know...

-----

January 20, 2017 8:06 pm  #7593

Oh I don't think either of the actors have a problem with homoeroticism.
The team just decided they weren't going to go that root...other than play with the idea of two hot guys sharing a flat.

January 20, 2017 8:09 pm  #7594

You mean, after going all for that in the unaired pilot? Which is even more suggestive than the aired version?

-----

January 20, 2017 8:12 pm  #7595

Yes, they obviously changed it for a reason.
Though from memory, if anything, I would say that maybe just Sherlock could seem more possibly being gay.
I don't remember John being any different than he is now.

January 20, 2017 8:14 pm  #7596

besleybean wrote:

Yes, they obviously changed it for a reason.
Though from memory, if anything, I would say that maybe just Sherlock could seem more possibly being gay.
I don't remember John being any different than he is now.

I'll just quote that as an online equivalent of framing something and putting it up on the wall for posterity.
Thank you, bb.

Last edited by ewige (January 20, 2017 8:14 pm)

-----

January 20, 2017 8:14 pm  #7597

Exactly. We didn't go looking for the homoeroticism they kept bashing us over the head with it.
Then they showed John in an unhappy and unsatisfying marriage and now we have them raising a baby.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 20, 2017 8:15 pm  #7598

I think the fact that the final version is less homoerotic shows the direction they'd decided to take.

I remember reading in an old interview that they hadn't decided on Sherlock's sexual orientation before S2, which I thought was interesting.   Maybe they really had been planning to make him asexual - then ASIB made them rethink. 

January 20, 2017 8:17 pm  #7599

I think some fans need to take the show a tad less seriously. I really mean that. It is not the end of the world, neither the gay one or the Sherlock one, that Johnlock didn't happen on screen. 

I've seen some fans who wanted to egg the houses of Moffat and Gatiss.

I've seen quite a few fans who are desperatly looking for clues for a "hidden episode" to be aired this Sunday, because they can't come to terms with what we have.

I've even seen some fans who think that Ben and Martin tried their best to put Johnlock into their scenes, because they were "limited by the writers".

I just think it's sad when a show becomes this big in someone's life and they lose all sense of proportions and perspective.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 20, 2017 8:21 pm  #7600

Vhanja wrote:

I think some fans need to take the show a tad less seriously. I really mean that. It is not the end of the world, neither the gay one or the Sherlock one, that Johnlock didn't happen on screen. 

I've seen some fans who wanted to egg the houses of Moffat and Gatiss.

I've seen quite a few fans who are desperatly looking for clues for a "hidden episode" to be aired this Sunday, because they can't come to terms with what we have.

I've even seen some fans who think that Ben and Martin tried their best to put Johnlock into their scenes, because they were "limited by the writers".

I just think it's sad when a show becomes this big in someone's life and they lose all sense of proportions and perspective.

The most disappointed people are the loudest ones (on the internet, at least).
I daresay none of this forum's members are in the groups you describe.

-----

Board footera