BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 18, 2017 7:10 pm  #7521

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I'm not very good with tenses but does she imply a recent event or his being not a virgin in general?

As for Sherlock's assumption Eurus is straight - well, balance of probability.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 18, 2017 7:17 pm  #7522

Not being a virgin in general I think...well she recognises a romantic tune, so wonders if it's associated with a lover of Sherlock's.
Yes:
Sherlock, has only kissed women in the show and has only been seen to be attracted to Irene.
John:  dated woman, married a woman, had a child with a woman and wanted an affair with a woman.
So I totally agree:  balance of probabilities indeed. Neither of these men are gay... and have not been shown to be bi.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 7:28 pm  #7523

You are not seriously counting Janine as evidence, are you? He'd have kissed a male PA too if need be.
I'm a little confused about other Sherlock's kisses. Do you mean Mrs. Hudson and Molly?

Also, Sherlock is shown fascinated by Moriarty in pretty the same way he's fascinated by Irene. He even bests them both in their games in the end. Doesn't mean he's spent a night of passion with Jim.

John had an ex. The discussion whether he was really an ex or a previous commander is the same fruitless exercise in rhetorics as the discussion about Sherlock's sex life with Irene. There's just not enough data to come to a solid conclusion.

-----

January 18, 2017 7:33 pm  #7524

No I'm not considering Janine as real evidence:  Yes, Sherlock has also kissed Molly and Mrs Hudson!  Point is, he's never kissed a male.
You can only assume he would have kissed a male PA, that has not been shown in programme.
Sherlock does not text Jim and does not mention him to John.
We know that Sholto was an ex colleague and still a friend of John's.
Mary made that clear in the 'neither of us were the first'.  Unless you re seriously suggesting Mary meant: John had sex with you, but now he does with me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2017 7:38 pm  #7525

I think it's only fair to count Sholto in as evidence for John's being bi if we count Mrs. Hudson as evidence for Sherlock's being straight

-----

January 18, 2017 7:41 pm  #7526

Ha ha.
Difference is, we've seen the affection between Sherlock and Mrs H.
I also take the evidence of what the characters say:  John clearly defines his wife, his friends, his colleagues...he has only ever referred to Sherlock as his friend, Mary as his wife etc. 
Sherlock only ever refers to John as his friend.

January 18, 2017 7:50 pm  #7527

I feel a big post coming on, but maybe not tonight! 

There's no evidence that I can see for Sholto being an ex-lover.  And I know I keep saying it, but Moftiss don't seem like the type of writers to hide things like that away - to think that they want John to be bi, but they'd better not actually show it.  But also it would take away from TSOT - which seems to be about Sherlock and John's friendship.   It's the episode where they're really open about the depth of their friendship, and there's the best man/friend thing.  Sherlock wouldn't have been jealous of an ex-lover (male or female), but he's blatantly jealous of an ex best friend. 

January 18, 2017 7:54 pm  #7528

Quite so.

January 18, 2017 8:44 pm  #7529

In my opinion it has never been explicitly shown that Sherlock is/was romantically interested in men or women. I personally don't see his fascination with Irene Adler as romantic and it has never been categorically stated that it is and as I don't see anything romantic between Sherlock and Irene I don't count their relationship as evidence that Sherlock is straight. I think it would be believable for Sherlock to be either gay, straight or bi as we have nothing concrete to go on.

I agree with ewige in that if some people argue that the relationship between Irene and Sherlock is never actually shown on screen but could be perceived as romantic but then dismiss Johnlocker's arguments by saying a romantic relationship between Sherlock and John has never actually been shown and is only perceived that way by fans it seems a bit hypocritical. Also the argument that John is portrayed as straight so couldn't possibly be with Sherlock seems to go out the window when shipping Irene and Sherlock as Irene clearly said she was gay. If it is possible for a gay woman to have romantic feelings for a man why is it impossible for a straight man to have romantic feelings for a man. I'm not saying that Johnlock is what is being portrayed but just that some arguments for Irene and Sherlock but against John and Sherlock do not seem to add up.

All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring is not an advantage.

January 18, 2017 8:50 pm  #7530

I am sorry there are differences:
1. The team have said they think Sherlock was attracted to Irene.
2. Sherlock is shown flustered by, gooey eyed over, writing a romantic tune for and texting Irene. He has only ever referred to John as his friend.
3. Whatever Irene identifies herself as, she is clearly interested in Sherlock.  We have never been shown any such interest between Sherlock and John.
4. It is hard to argue against a negative and normally in real debating, one in not required to do so. We don't see a relationship, there is nothing to argue for! It's like being asked to disprove unicorns, the tooth fairy or Santa.

January 18, 2017 9:26 pm  #7531

besleybean wrote:

I am sorry there are differences:
1. The team have said they think Sherlock was attracted to Irene.
2. Sherlock is shown flustered by, gooey eyed over, writing a romantic tune for and texting Irene. He has only ever referred to John as his friend.
3. Whatever Irene identifies herself as, she is clearly interested in Sherlock.  We have never been shown any such interest between Sherlock and John.
4. It is hard to argue against a negative and normally in real debating, one in not required to do so. We don't see a relationship, there is nothing to argue for! It's like being asked to disprove unicorns, the tooth fairy or Santa.

I disagree.

1. The team may well have said so but it has never been said on the show which seems to be what the main argument against Johnlock is - it has never been shown on the show.
2. I don't see his reaction to Irene as gooey eyed (flustered maybe but again to me this doesn't necessarily confirm a romantic or sexual interest, you can be in adoration of someone and be completely flustered without being in love with them) so clearly this is up to viewer perception as I perceive his reaction completely differently to you. Writing a song, be it romantic or not, and texting someone is not concrete evidence of a romantic relationship.
3. "Whatever Irene identifies herself as" is gay so again, if she is in love with Sherlock why would it be impossible for John who is straight to be in love with Sherlock. I am not saying he is but theoretically if a gay woman can be in love with a man then a straight man can be in love with a man.
4. My post was not making an argument for or against Johnlock and I have said previously that personally I can understand the argument against Johnlock as it has never been explicitly shown on screen whilst at the same time I understand the the argument that some subtext supports Johnlock. What I do not understand is the argument specifically against Johnlock as it has never been shown but for Irene and Sherlock (what is their shipper name I can't remember haha) as a romantic relationship between Irene and Sherlock has also never been explicitly shown on screen.

Last edited by Lis (January 18, 2017 9:27 pm)

January 18, 2017 9:29 pm  #7532

It is possible for all sorts.
But what we have is what we are shown:
John: girlfriends, wife, mistress.
Sherlock:  never shown to have any interest in men.
It is what it is

Last edited by besleybean (January 18, 2017 9:29 pm)

January 18, 2017 9:36 pm  #7533

It's just occurred to me - like, 40 pages in (since I haven't been here from the start) - that I'm actually debating a fictional character's sexual preferences

I think we can go round and round for another 378 pages without a conclusion because we are debating each other's perception and understanding of the show.

It's been established last Sunday that "Sherlock" wasn't intended to be a LGBT respresentation gig so we are clear on the intent of the writers. I don't dispute that.

Still, the show is open to interpretation. We are invited to fill in the blanks all the time. We come to different conclusions based on the same evidence and our different preferences and backgrounds. If we see the same scenes but understand them differently - is there a way at all to convince each other in such case?

The truth lies in the eye of the beholder. For me, a life-long partnership is only possible between friends like Sherlock and John. If such a friendship is the end stop in your opinion, who am I to argue.

-----

January 18, 2017 9:38 pm  #7534

Lis, I believe it's adlock.

-----

January 18, 2017 9:49 pm  #7535

ewige wrote:

Lis, I believe it's adlock.

Ah that would make sense haha, thanks.  

ewige wrote:

The truth lies in the eye of the beholder. For me, a life-long partnership is only possible between friends like Sherlock and John. If such a friendship is the end stop in your opinion, who am I to argue.

I agree and think it should work both ways, how ever people want to interpret the show is up to them and just because someone views it differently to you (you in the general sense not you specifically ewige) does not in anyway diminish your own enjoyment of the show. I don't think either side of the argument really needs to convince the other that they are right/wrong, we just seem to like a good debate haha but at some point I think everyone needs to agree to disagree.

January 18, 2017 10:22 pm  #7536

I do think we are shown evidence of romantic attraction between Sherlock and Irene fairly explicitly on the show (I will try to do a longer post about that, maybe at the weekend).  And in addition, the team have said that Sherlock is attracted to Irene.  Just in the last series we have Sherlock's feeling for Irene equated to John's feelings both for Mary, and for the pretty girl on the bus.  Then we have the song Sherlock wrote for Irene being an expression of his inner self, and Eurus recognises that there's a sexual element.  And of course just the fact that Sherlock has gone to the effort to keep his favourite ring tone (and even that he sometimes can't resist texting back, even though he tries not to). 

Yes, Irene says she's gay, but again, we explicitly see her fall for Sherlock.  Maybe it's an anomaly, maybe she's bi, maybe it's just him, but it's spelled out on screen.  Whereas with John and Sherlock we never see them falling for men.  For instance, if we'd seen John dating a guy, if Eurus had actually been a brother even, then that would have told a different story! 

January 19, 2017 4:21 am  #7537

ewige wrote:

It's just occurred to me - like, 40 pages in (since I haven't been here from the start) - that I'm actually debating a fictional character's sexual preferences

I think we can go round and round for another 378 pages without a conclusion because we are debating each other's perception and understanding of the show.

It's been established last Sunday that "Sherlock" wasn't intended to be a LGBT respresentation gig so we are clear on the intent of the writers. I don't dispute that.

Still, the show is open to interpretation. We are invited to fill in the blanks all the time. We come to different conclusions based on the same evidence and our different preferences and backgrounds. If we see the same scenes but understand them differently - is there a way at all to convince each other in such case?

Very good post, ewige!

I no longer participate much here in this thread because I feel that not everybody here shares this idea of ... I don't know how to call it in English ... freedom of interpretation.

I often felt that some here are aware of the ambiguity, of the fact that you can see more than one truth in the show, while others just state they know how it really is and everybody who sees something else is wrong. :-(

Maybe your post changes that. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 19, 2017 6:38 am  #7538

Liberty wrote:

I do think we are shown evidence of romantic attraction between Sherlock and Irene fairly explicitly on the show (I will try to do a longer post about that, maybe at the weekend).  And in addition, the team have said that Sherlock is attracted to Irene.  Just in the last series we have Sherlock's feeling for Irene equated to John's feelings both for Mary, and for the pretty girl on the bus.  Then we have the song Sherlock wrote for Irene being an expression of his inner self, and Eurus recognises that there's a sexual element.  And of course just the fact that Sherlock has gone to the effort to keep his favourite ring tone (and even that he sometimes can't resist texting back, even though he tries not to). 

Yes, Irene says she's gay, but again, we explicitly see her fall for Sherlock.  Maybe it's an anomaly, maybe she's bi, maybe it's just him, but it's spelled out on screen.  Whereas with John and Sherlock we never see them falling for men.  For instance, if we'd seen John dating a guy, if Eurus had actually been a brother even, then that would have told a different story! 

I wholeheartedly endorse this fine post.

January 19, 2017 7:25 am  #7539

I've always said things are open to interpretation.  There are some things I interpret differently than the writers. (I don't want to get into that discussion here, but one example is John's violence - I see it as shocking and disturbing, they see it as funny or cathartic.   I wouldn't argue that my interpretation is what they are showing us, but it's OK for me to see it that way.  There are some other points too - it would actually be an interesting discussion to have).   And I think what was debated here, was almost always whether Johnlock was intended by the writers and team - for instance, the comments about them lying to cover it up.  And I suppose it has moved now to whether there is deliberate ambiguity - did they intend two different interpretations. .  I don't think there is deliberate ambiguity created by the writers, and I think there has been less as the story has gone on - I think they are happy for people to interpret Johnlock, but looking at the whole thing, I don't believe they've written that in.

January 19, 2017 7:27 am  #7540

I agree.
I hope I get a brownie point for being a big, clever girl and for once remembering how to quote people!

Board footera