BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2017 10:14 pm  #7341

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Schmiezi wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Because as we are trying to say: no ambiguity has ever been shown in the show.  Sherlock and John only ever shown interested in women and in interviews all the team have been quite clear that Johnlock was not their intention.

And if "you" say it, it must be true of course. :-p

No. THEY have said so.

January 9, 2017 10:25 pm  #7342

I think if they were trying to write parallel stories, they wouldn't deny writing them as lovers so vehemently.   And I think it means that we won't see anything but a deep and loving friendship at the end.  There will be no passionate kiss to balance out the platonic hug, for instance. Of course that will still leave it open for people to analyse for secret messages, and why not?  I think there is a sense in which it doesn't matter too much, once something is out there, what was originally intended.  But I don't think Johnlock is going to be what has been claimed - that isn't going to be the groundbreaking, television history aspect of the story.  I'd put money on it not being endgame. 

January 9, 2017 10:34 pm  #7343

Of course, proper Johnlock would be great to see on screen. But as I see it, what we saw in that hug spoke volumes about closeness, vulnerability and a deep and honest sense of caring. To me, that is what I've wanted to see for a long time, and I thought it was beautiful. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 9, 2017 10:48 pm  #7344

Me too.  And I can't remember if I said here, but I felt it was illustration of how their relationship could progress without it having to lead to a romance.  This was new for their friendship.  (And I think they'll be OK now - they'll be together for TFP.  As friends!). 

January 10, 2017 6:41 am  #7345

I have just always felt it was quite sad if people don't know men who have such beautiful, loving close friendships...I am so fortunate that I do.

EDIT:  oh and here's another thing.  I obviously cannot speak for anybody else but myself, funnilly enough in my posts I only represent my views! I take that as a given.
I have said right from the beginning, but as there appears to be some doubt on the matter, let me state it strong and bold again:
I would love for BBC Sherlock to have been written as Johnlock, nothing would have made me happier.
But for me, it clearly hasn't been and I feel I have to be honest in accepting this.
It is nothing about just hoping I get what I want, I just accept what the writers have said and shown.
It certainly isn't because I am not fully on board with LBGTI, represenation, why wouldn't I be? Apart from anything else, my own daughter identifies with the TG  community and my sister is gay.
It's just for this one show, the writers have decided to be true to Canon, so the leads will not become romantically involved.  Because the whole point of Canon, is that it represents the best male friendship in history.
If Mark and Steven had been writing their own, ground breakingly new show,, it may have been very different.
So for me, it is very definitely not about being disappointed if I got a Johnlock ending.

Last edited by besleybean (January 10, 2017 5:03 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 10, 2017 9:06 am  #7346

I completely agree, Besleybean.

When I first watched Sherlock, I thought they were such a shippable couple, and I remember making some comment about that there must be loads of fanfiction on that theme!  Then when I came here, I wondered if I was a "Johnlocker", as I liked the idea.  It was quite a surprise to discover that Johnlock was not about shipping them as about believing that was the writers intention and plan! 

I think canon is open to interpretation, simply because they could not have been shown as a couple in those days.  But it's a very different situation now.  I know I've said it before, but I think Moftiss's reason for not doing it in this version is maybe because they read those stories as children, and as a child you tend to be drawn to the idea of friends rather than lovers. 

January 10, 2017 9:25 am  #7347

I had another look at the other thread, and I think there is a misunderstanding.  There was a comment suggesting that the texting is seen in love, whereas what Sherlock does for John is not.  I don't think that's the case at all. I think it's explicit in the show that Sherlock and John love each other.   It's friendship, but it's also (platonic) love.   That's a given.

The texting is seen as more sexual/romantic attraction.  John doesn't love the woman on the bus, but he's attracted (enough to feel that the texting is being unfaithful - if there was no romantic/sexual attraction, then I don't think he'd feel that).  Sherlock clearly has strong feelings for Irene, and she's the only time we do see romantic/sexual attraction clearly - his texting is an admission that he is tempted, and tries to stop himself.

Anyway, the texting here is about the nature of the relationship, not the depth of it.  (And certainly doesn't mean that in all cases of texting there is romantic/sexual attraction!  But in the cases they are talking about - the nature of the relationship is such that it would make somebody feel they were being unfaithful, or that they were giving into romance when they'd eschewed it).

January 10, 2017 10:10 am  #7348

I find the idea of Irene and Sherlock together extremely titillating. However, their mutual attraction is based on understanding and outwitting each other. I don't think an intimate relationship is the logical next step for them - the same way non-johnlockers don't see it as a natural progression of John and Sherlock's friendship.

I'm still struggling with the definition of johnlock myself. Not all johnlockers are TJLCers. The question about TPTB's intent is a very helpful one for me to understand where I stand. The frequency of scenes with a possible romantic interpretation (Liberty, do I remember correctly that you have marked some of them as such in your analysis?) is a good indication for me that Moftiss show more than they tell. I get it that they deny everything with passion but there can be other explanations for that.

I've meant to ask but kept forgetting - what do you make of John's speech, especially "trust you to fall for a sociopath"? Irene has never been established as one, so while other things (criminal, dangerous) can describe both Sherlock and Irene, the sociopath bit makes it clear for me that the whole speech is about John and Sherlock and not Sherlock and Irene.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 10, 2017 10:25 am  #7349

Yes, the Johnlock definition is a tricky one.

I have to say I do no longer pay the sociopath /psychopath lines that much attention, These term are used a bit too freely for me to still take them seriously. But I think both Sherlock and John need "the thrill of the chase" in  order to function and both would only be attracted to someone who could provide that.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 10, 2017 10:54 am  #7350

Nobody has really been established as a sociopath.  John (and others) seem to just use it in a common speech sort of way, the way people might refer to somebody as a lunatic, without actually meaning they are mentally ill.  Irene's world is build around finding out what people like and manipulating them.   She does act in a way that could be seen as just as "sociopathic" in the sense John is talking of, as Sherlock or Mary. 

I've never thought that Sherlock would end up with Irene, and don't want him to.  That's partly because I love repressed Sherlock, and it seems that this repression is important to who he is.  I love the idea that he's tempted but won't let himself act on it.  That whole greenhouse conversation in TAB is about that.  I would love Irene to come back as secret casting in TFP, but I don't think or want that the "I love you" is for her.  (Despite being told over and over that it's "romantic", my gut feeling is that it's for Euros.  I think we're going back rather than forward).

January 10, 2017 10:57 am  #7351

@Lola,

But how can you dismiss the sociopath remark? Sherlock always insists on this definition and John must have picked it up by now. Besides, it's not like Irene is a psychopath or something. There is no reason at all to include this remark even as a mistake - apart from the obvious one.

@ Liberty,

I know Sherlock isn't a sociopath but he identifies as such.

I too like repressed Sherlock a lot. However, I think all his walls will come crashing around him this Sunday, and it will be beautiful.

Last edited by ewige (January 10, 2017 11:00 am)

-----

January 10, 2017 11:02 am  #7352

Scenes with a romantic interpretation - I think there are scenes that can be seen as that individually, but as part of the whole, they don't look romantic.   I think the most ambiguous scene is at Battersea power station with Irene, where she kind of makes an analogy between her and John's feelings for Sherlock.  But again, that's dismissed a little by her saying that they are a couple - I don't think any of them think that they're actually a couple in the romantic sense.   They are a couple in a different sense.  And as I say, it has to fit in with the whole, what we're shown overall.  TSOT, for instance, I think clearly shows a friendship story.  And ASIB does seem to involve Sherlock falling for Irene, as confirmed in TAB and again in TLD (and I think it's a lovely episode in terms of the friendship too!).

Risking your life for somebody is romantic in the broad sense, but the person to really go for that was Mary giving her life to save Sherlock.  And I don't think she ever had "romantic" feelings for him.  (Sorry, I get really confused because "romantic" has such a broad meaning.   So I do think John and Sherlock's friendship is romantic, and what Mary and Sherlock did for each other is romantic, but I think the only romantic feelings are between John and Mary!). 

January 10, 2017 11:08 am  #7353

ewige wrote:

@ Liberty,

I know Sherlock isn't a sociopath but he identifies as such.

I too like repressed Sherlock a lot. However, I think all his walls will come crashing around him this Sunday, and it will be beautiful.

I'm not sure if he identifies with "sociopath" so much as uses it as a kind of public image.  But it's definitely used in a very casual way in the show.  And of course, there is no such thing as a "high-functioning" sociopath, as far as I know. 

I think we'll get to the root of his repression on Sunday, definitely!  But I don't honestly think that story-wise there's time for him to fall in love, with John, with Irene, with anyone.  The previous episodes could have set that up, but they haven't.   I am more than happy to be proved wrong!   And we do have an hour and a half! 

January 10, 2017 11:36 am  #7354

ewige wrote:

@Lola,

But how can you dismiss the sociopath remark? Sherlock always insists on this definition and John must have picked it up by now. Besides, it's not like Irene is a psychopath or something. There is no reason at all to include this remark even as a mistake - apart from the obvious one.

Because all allusions to it have been utterly inconsequential until know. Sherlock is not a sociopath, he is also not a psychopath. Nor are Mrs. Hudson or Mary or , yes, Irene.

The reason to include this remark. The same as always on this show, to indicate a character trait that means someone is not what we might call an "everyman".

Also, what seems obvious to someone committed to one reading of a situation, might mean something quite different for someone committed to another reading or someone who does not commit to any reading in particular. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 10, 2017 11:39 am  #7355

It's all fine, Lola, seriously! I get it that people interpret things differently, I was just curious to see the reasoning behind the non-johnlock interpretation.

Last edited by ewige (January 10, 2017 11:40 am)

-----

January 10, 2017 11:45 am  #7356

I know, and I was not attacking you (sorry if it came across that way). Just between this and the other Johnlock thread, it's really fun to see how the same scene can be interpreted so very differently, depending on which theory someone is committed to. Which is why I refuse to do so, I would miss half the fun

January 10, 2017 12:04 pm  #7357

The trouble with not "committing", for me, is (I know I sound like a broken record!) it alters the characters and the story.   I find it's impossible to see those two perspectives at once.  For instance, it would have been such a betrayal for John to marry Mary if he was "in love" with somebody else - and not only that, but invite him to be his best man.   That would give me a different view of the character.  And John's guilt over a few texts convinces me that I'm right, he would not be such a cad.   So I can't really see that maybe he's the kind of person who would do that, and also he's the kind of person who wouldn't contemplate doing that.  I have to pick a side!  And that goes all the way through. 

Anyway, now by TLD, it turns out that John really loved Mary, but had an attraction to another woman, not Sherlock (i.e. he feels guilty about the other woman, not Sherlock).  Sherlock romantic focus is still Irene, not John (John guesses, and Sherlock confirms it.  Plus all the hassle of keeping that ring tone!).   I don't see how they can get from there to Johnlock, and don't honestly think they're going to.

January 10, 2017 12:54 pm  #7358

For me it is really not that big a step. I guess most people would agree that John and Sherlock truly are sole mates (I know what you mean with the broken record feeling, btw). I think the main difference for me is: could there ever be a romantic attraction between the two? (I know some Johnlockers will strongly disagree with that reading, feel free to do so)  And here we come to the difficulty in the definition of being a Johnlocker. Do I believe TPTB could tilt the story either way if they wished to without being inconsistent. Yes. Intentionally or not, I think there would be enough ambiguity to support either reading. Do I believe that they will actually do that? I would be surprised if they did. 

I am, however and as always, happy to be proven wrong. 

Last edited by Lola Red (January 10, 2017 1:19 pm)

January 10, 2017 1:22 pm  #7359

Re: inviting Sherlock to be his best man.
John is in denial. People want themselves to be faithful and "normal" and admitting a possible infidelity to themselves is a long and painful process, maybe it's the same for John with admitting to himself that he wants to stay with Sherlock the annoying male git forever and ever.

-----

January 10, 2017 1:56 pm  #7360

But what a thing to do to Mary!   It's funny because we all had quite a discussion about how much those texts were emotional infidelity.  If I put myself in Mary's situation, I'd probably have the same wry smile reaction to the texts.  But somebody marrying me, while secretely in love with somebody else, and having that person be best man at our wedding - I'd feel completely betrayed.   It can happen, of course, but it would change my view of John a lot.  The John we see would be wracked with guilt over it. 

And at that point in TLD when it's very clear that Sherlock is capable of romantic feelings, and when John feels that the important thing is to go for it because we all might die, and they're both "single" and have just saved each other yet again, then wouldn't it pop into his head then? 

I know there is some ambiguity, but in the last two episodes, I haven't seen any.  Or I'd really have to search for it.  The only thing I can think of is the idea of Mary as a kind of guardian angel/cupid whose role has been to get them together as lovers, rather than friends.  But I can't make that fit in with the rest!  I have wondered in the past if Moftiss would go down the route of bringing in JL later.  But I think what we've seen of the series confirms that they're very, very unlikely to. 

Lola, I could buy the story of two friends suddenly, years down the line, falling for each other.  It does happen.  But the way the story is being told, I don't think it's likely to.  Technically, yes, they could make it happen in the next episode.  But what they've done so far hasn't built up to that. 

And the whole issue that they had to get together romantically because there was nowhere else for their relationship to go - well, we've resolved that now.  We've seen their relationship develop a lot just in TLD.  

Board footera