BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2016 6:45 pm  #7181

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Thanks for answering. To me it seems very superfluous to include all those gay jokes and all those girlfriends and the dialogue with Irene - look at us both and John writing on his blog that relationships with women are not possible considering his life with Sherlock. They certainly do seem to want us to notice John always puts Sherlock before women pre TRF so marriage for John while Sherlock is around was very unlikely despite the canon meeting.
Mary is smart enough to encourage the friendship at first but after John has married why show the bickering about John not seeing Sherlock ?John is shown to be unhappy with Mary after just a month and craving adventure. After the shooting we get Sherlock saying you chose her and John saying We decide if we keep you.
So very much of the series becomes odd and out of place if they do not want us to consider the nature of the love / relationship between John and Sherlock.  Otherwise we seem to have a whole arc of information and dialogue from the very first episodes to the last that is pointless and ultimately irrelevant.
The writers denial of JL seems opposed to everything they have written and there are very good reasons to doubt them.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

December 27, 2016 8:36 pm  #7182

Liberty, do you mean an idea that Holmes comes across as gay, because he didn't want to sleep with this Russian balerina? Like, because she was beautiful (or better said: she has been once), everybody, including our body-is-only-transport Holmes, has to desire her?
Following this logic - if I refused to sleep with, let's say, Robbie Williams, despite him being famous and great artist, it would be a proof I'm gay. No, still not convinced.

More clear than the interview itself, is the video that came next at YT, with 42nd episode of "TJLC Explained." Some really nice juxtapositions (many of them I laughed at watching TPLOSH). I even might watch it till the end. For now I'd like to find that Wilder quote from a source different than JL metas.

BTW, I found the script for TPLOSH instead, it's here if someone is interested.

December 27, 2016 8:44 pm  #7183

Some sources: 

http://theotherjournal.com/2012/02/24/the-private-life-of-sherlock-holmes-billy-wilder-1970/

The famous "desperately unspoken" quote from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/nov/07/mark-gatiss-sherlock-holmes

A comparison between TPLoSH and Ritchie Holmes:

http://www.lambdaliterary.org/features/03/08/sherlock-holmes-queer-straight-neither/

And there is Billy Wilder himself: ‘I should have been more daring,’ he says in an interview quoted in Ed Sikov’s 1998 biography, On Sunset Boulevard. ‘I wanted to make Holmes a homosexual . . . That’s why he’s on dope, you know.’

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 27, 2016 8:54 pm  #7184

Okay, didn't find the quote itself, (would like to see the broader context of this lines,
But what I found instead:
- the biography you quoted is unathorized
https://www.amazon.com/Sunset-Boulevard-Times-Billy-Wilder/dp/0786861940
- The author might be not completely neutral.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Sikov

Just saying. Have to go. Laterz!

December 27, 2016 10:37 pm  #7185

JP, I mean the "Yes.  You are being presumptuous" line (and also the way Robert Stevens plays him).  The ballet dancer is kind of irrelevant, and I'm sure "our" Sherlock would have turned her down too.  And acting a part is a typical Holmesian thing to do.  It's more about Watson's reaction to it, and Holmes' response to it, I think. 

He does kind of fall for a woman in the film though ... very like our Sherlock, although ASIB kind of puts that right in the end by letting Sherlock save her. 

I'm a bit wary of the piece with the "desperately unspoken" line, because it's the one Mark described as garbled. But the video is longer and doesn't appear to be cut too much, so more reliable! 

December 28, 2016 4:26 pm  #7186

Finally the line I was looking for: "It's a fantastically melancholy film. The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is treated beautifully; Sherlock effectively falls in love with him in the film, but it's so desperately unspoken."

Well, it seems Mark has his own JL and sees things others don't!

The "presumptuous" line can also be connected to the story Holmes tells later in the film: that his fiancee died in the night(?) before their wedding. It could have been his only love and he never wanted anyone else in his life. And he didn't wanted to talk about it, even to Dr Watson. (BTW, I love the line, just because it's a brilliant pun)

The "melancholy" in the film could just be a sadness of a man who's heart is broken forever. 

BTW, knowing the way media deal with what is said I don't really trust the interview either. It's a pity I can hardly ask Mark.

December 28, 2016 5:30 pm  #7187

Yes, the "presumptuous" line is a good one!  And I agree, has double meaning.

The "desparately unspoken" line, I'm now wary of (a shame, because I love that phrase!), as it came from the article Mark Gatiss described as a "garbled mistranslation" of what he'd said.  

I agree that the film has a melancholy feel.  The gorgeous music helps.   There's a bit where Holmes' learns of the woman's death (is she called Elsa?  I can't remember), and is clearly heartbroken - it very much reminds me of the scene at the end of ASIB, and I'm sure the similarity is deliberate.  (I think Moftiss liked that character - they seem to have given some of her characteristics to both Irene and Mary).

Last edited by Liberty (December 28, 2016 5:31 pm)

December 28, 2016 5:44 pm  #7188

Just a general observation: I find it strange how blogs/websites, etc. from queer writers allegedly cannot be trusted. Who is neutral anyway? I find it slightly disturbing to say one cannot trust sources because they are not neutral. 
What about Communist literary critics discussing Shakespeare for example? One would have to argue that they cannot be trusted because they will deliver Communist readings of the plays. Same goes for critics from a Capitalist background. Or feminists. Or deconstructivists. Or post-modernists. 
Everyone brings their own perspective to reading a work of art. And one should not discount a reading just because of a specific perspective the person brings to their interpretation. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2016 6:19 pm  #7189

It puzzles me when TJLCers cite TPLOSH as evidence for the conspiracy. In the BFI interview clip Mark doesn't mention anything about Holmes & Watson being in love in the film. The only evidence we have for that is the quote from the Guardian interview which Mark has refuted on twitter as a 'garbled mistranslation' of what he said.

I always come back to the interview he gave on stage in Mumbai at Comic Con. It's a sincere and genuine explanation as to why - although there would be nothing wrong in making Sherlock and John a couple - that's just not what they're doing in their version of the story. If Johnlock were going to happen, why would he have needed to say that? He could just have side stepped the question the way they do on anything else they don't really want to address. Yes they lie and obfuscate about some things but I just don't believe he's lying there.

December 28, 2016 6:24 pm  #7190

SusiGo wrote:

What about Communist literary critics discussing Shakespeare for example? One would have to argue that they cannot be trusted because they will deliver Communist readings of the plays.

As someone who experienced communist literary criticism (along with their creative interpretations of history) from the first person perspective, I can say that they couldn't be trusted. At nothing.

I don't say all the facts in the said biography aren't trustworthy. Just that one quotation and it's implications. At least as long as I don't see where it came from, and the broader context. IMO, to build an opinion on someone's else opinion, you always have to be aware of this person's background. 

December 28, 2016 6:36 pm  #7191

Shani wrote:

It puzzles me when TJLCers cite TPLOSH as evidence for the conspiracy. In the BFI interview clip Mark doesn't mention anything about Holmes & Watson being in love in the film. The only evidence we have for that is the quote from the Guardian interview which Mark has refuted on twitter as a 'garbled mistranslation' of what he said.

I always come back to the interview he gave on stage in Mumbai at Comic Con. It's a sincere and genuine explanation as to why - although there would be nothing wrong in making Sherlock and John a couple - that's just not what they're doing in their version of the story. If Johnlock were going to happen, why would he have needed to say that? He could just have side stepped the question the way they do on anything else they don't really want to address. Yes they lie and obfuscate about some things but I just don't believe he's lying there.

I agree with all this.  I think that if Moftiss were influenced by the fact that Billy Wilder couldn't make them openly gay, and if they intended to make them a gay couple themselves, they wouldn't hide it away for years.  I think it's more likely that they didn't intend them to be in love in that way.  It fits with everything they've said about the show (and with what we've seen on screen, in my opinion - I know some scenes are ambiguous, but I think the overall feel, and the story, is about a friendship).   I really agree about Mark's sincerity - I do believe him.  I will have quite a different view of him, if it does turn out that he was lying. 

December 28, 2016 6:49 pm  #7192

One thing I've wondered about latey, is why they would keep it such a secret? As they mentioned, their ideal way of handling a gay romance in a tv series is to make it as natural as possible. Make it something that is just there, without drawing attention to it as something special.

So if they wanted to make Sherlock and John a couple, why make it into such a big secret? Why have to lie about it in the first place? Why not make it into something natural and simple, as they would have preferred?

As it is now, if Johnlock happens, it will most certainly not be natural and "softly, softly". It will be turned into a "big thing" the way it's been handled, quite the opposite of what they would've wanted to go for, as I understand them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 28, 2016 7:08 pm  #7193

Ah, I forgot: How much of a scandal it would cause, if Wilder indeed made a gay film. 1970. Would it even shown back then? That's also a reason why I'm not completely trusting the quotation.

December 28, 2016 7:22 pm  #7194

JP wrote:

Finally the line I was looking for: "It's a fantastically melancholy film. The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is treated beautifully; Sherlock effectively falls in love with him in the film, but it's so desperately unspoken."

Well, it seems Mark has his own JL and sees things others don't!

BTW, knowing the way media deal with what is said I don't really trust the interview either. It's a pity I can hardly ask Mark.

Well, he has twitter, does he not?
Ask him there - no problem.

Last edited by nakahara (December 28, 2016 7:23 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 28, 2016 7:38 pm  #7195

He's already answered it on twitter. When he confirmed the With An Accent interview, refuting Johnlock, was entirely accurate this summer, someone asked him about the Guardian quote. He responded that it was a "garbled mistranslation" of what he'd actually said.

December 28, 2016 7:45 pm  #7196

Thanks Shani. It all starts to make sense to me now. I felt a bit lost.

I'm four years late to the fandom, you can only process a limited amount of information.
And TJLC was surely not in the center of my attention.

Last edited by JP (December 28, 2016 7:53 pm)

December 28, 2016 7:47 pm  #7197

Liberty wrote:

... I think it's more likely that they didn't intend them to be in love in that way.  It fits with everything they've said about the show (and with what we've seen on screen, in my opinion - I know some scenes are ambiguous, but I think the overall feel, and the story, is about a friendship).   I really agree about Mark's sincerity - I do believe him.  I will have quite a different view of him, if it does turn out that he was lying. 

I may get quite a different view of him as a writer if it turns out that all the clues were for nothing ;)
Unless Moftiss somehow come up with a better fitting resolution.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

December 28, 2016 7:56 pm  #7198

Shani wrote:

He's already answered it on twitter. When he confirmed the With An Accent interview, refuting Johnlock, was entirely accurate this summer, someone asked him about the Guardian quote. He responded that it was a "garbled mistranslation" of what he'd actually said.

Sorry, but that explains nothing, since he didn´t specify in what way was this "a garbled mistranslation".
But because he lives, he can be asked anytime what exactly did he said in a time of that interview and what exactly was "mistranslated".

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 28, 2016 7:59 pm  #7199

ewige wrote:

I may get quite a different view of him as a writer if it turns out that all the clues were for nothing ;)
Unless Moftiss somehow come up with a better fitting resolution.

Thank you, ewige, this and this exactly!
Especially again after the I love you trailer. Sorry to repeat myself, but they absolutely know what they are doing by this.
(And no, I also do not think they are giving away JL here, just to be clear)

Last edited by mrshouse (December 28, 2016 7:59 pm)

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 28, 2016 8:09 pm  #7200

nakahara wrote:

Shani wrote:

Sorry, but that explains nothing, since he didn´t specify in what way was this "a garbled mistranslation".
But because he lives, he can be asked anytime what exactly did he said in a time of that interview and what exactly was "mistranslated".

I don't know how much more explicit you need the following exchange to be: 

https://twitter.com/markgatiss/status/758594590844788736

1. They give an interview saying they are not and will never write Johnlock into the show.
2. Ardent TJLCers and Johnlock shippers get angry.
3. Mark tweets that the interview is a completely accurate representation of their attitude.
4. A fan tweets him a link to the Guardian interview to ask if that was accurate as well.
5. Mark responds 'No. Case in point. A garbled mistranslation of what I said.'

Therefore he knew he was being asked about Johnlock and he chose to say that Guardian interview was inaccurate about him loving TPLOSH because he thinks Holmes and Watson fall in love in it. In my opinion, you really have to show a special kind of wilful blindness if you interpret the exchange in any other way.

Board footera