BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 29, 2016 1:15 pm  #7061

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SusiGo wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

First one that comes to mind is LotR, with the hobbits returning to the Shire. 

And Frodo leaving and Sam and the others being very sad.

With Frodo leaving it is not returning to the status quo then, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 29, 2016 1:22 pm  #7062

Not really.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 29, 2016 3:41 pm  #7063

Frodo very poignantly , cannot go back to the way things were.

PS.  I cry my eyes out everytime he says goodbye.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 29, 2016 3:42 pm  #7064

Now I just hope that Sherlock will not leave with the elbs at the end of ep. 3. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 29, 2016 5:23 pm  #7065

Well, Sam did. And the journey gave him courage enough to propose to the hobbit he loved. He became mayor, married and had children. He ended up where he started, and got a better life for it. Same with the other two, if I remember correctly. (Having a good life in the Shire, that is).

So that's my point. It wouldn't be status quo in that it would be exactly like before. It can't be because they have both experienced so much that have changed and developed them. And that's why a life as friends in Baker Street could be better for them in the end than it ever was before. Even if it was fine before too (as it was for the hobbits as well).

Last edited by Vhanja (October 29, 2016 5:24 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 30, 2016 4:48 pm  #7066

I've been thinking about the topic of heteronormativity. And I know some people feel that because of it, it's harder to interpret two men (or two women) as having a romantic interest than it is if it's a man or a woman.

However, when I think about it, I view it a bit opposite. As I see it, I don't find the viewing of people (a man and a woman) as a couple for every little thing a positive thing. I think our society has become way too sexualized, and as of now a man and a woman can't even look at each other without people going "Oh, they're ending up in bed together!"

So to me, I don't see it as a goal that same-sex couples should be viewed the same. I actually think the way we view relationships with people of the same sex is a bit more healthy - that we don't think they will jump in bed together just because they shared a smile.

So instead of people adding the heteronormative view to gay people, I wish it would be the other way around: That we would extend our view on same sex relationships to hetereosexual relationships. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 30, 2016 5:34 pm  #7067

I do not venture in here often (mainly because I am not terribly invested in any interpretation of Sherlock's and John's relationship), but can I just say that I love the point you just made Vhanja? 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

October 30, 2016 6:01 pm  #7068

Thanks, Lola! I've been thinking about this for a while. And, to be honest, it's something that crossed my mind way before I got into Sherlock and the possibility of Johnlock. Why can't a man and a woman be friends and leave it at that?

The problem, as I see it, is that Hollywod has made a code/trope/whatever you want to call it, where - if you just put the right angle/music/lighting to it, just ONE scene between a man and a woman looking at each other will tell you that they will end up together. And, in the world of movies, they will. 

Adding that kind of sign/angle/trope to homosexual relationships of any kind is not a positive sign to me. It should be the other way around. 

I don't blame people, of whatever sexuality or world view. I blame Hollywood. They gave us the recipe. And I say yay, to any pairing of any sexuality that refuse to follow it.

Team Hudders!

October 30, 2016 10:18 pm  #7069

I'm with you Vhanja!

October 31, 2016 4:23 am  #7070

I fail to see what is so bad about two people falling in love. O.o

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 31, 2016 7:09 am  #7071

Me neither?

Team Hudders!

October 31, 2016 7:27 am  #7072

Vhanja wrote:

Me neither?

Sorry, I got your post wrong then. What do you mind, then? Romantic tropes?

October 31, 2016 7:39 am  #7073

I do think we have romance pushed at us all the time (even more than sex, to be honest, although they're tied together to some extent).   I've just been watching a film which had some interesting themes to explore, and I can see there's a romance about to play out - sometimes it feels as if there can't be a happy ending without a romance, the hero/ine can't win without getting the girl/boy, etc.  Other relationships (and other kinds of love) are secondary, even if the couple who are romancing hardly know each other. 

I do want to see some romance, but I agree, Vhanja, that it's also nice when it's not there.  Mad Max Fury Road springs to mind as a Hollywood (I think) film where you had an attractive (opposite sex) couple go through trials together and be the main focus of the film, and yet there didn't appear to be a sexual/romantic relationship.  (I'm sure some people will have seen one, and they may be right, but I didn't see it). 

I do think there's more to "heteronormativity" than the idea that people might need heavier clues if a same sex relationship is being shown.  I think it's quite a negative term. 

October 31, 2016 7:30 pm  #7074

Schmiezi wrote:

Sorry, I got your post wrong then. What do you mind, then? Romantic tropes?

I mind how romance is overused and oversimplified. As Liberty mentions, most Hollywood movie - no matter what genre and story - needs to have a "romantic interest". No matter if it's not related to the story or how forced it seems, there has to be a romantic interest between a man and a woman in most movies.

And so often, they don't spend much time actually developing the relationship properly. They boil it down to well-used romantic tropes where just one shot with a specific angle or music is enough for the audience to know that there is a romantic interest.

I think it's overused and oversimplified. And I don't think it should be a goal for samesex relationships to share those tropes and that kind of way to handle romance. The reason we so easily interpret a romantic interest between a man and a woman whereas we don't see the same in samesex relationships, is because we've seen it done a thousand times by Hollywood. Just half a second of eye contact and we know they will end up in bed together before the movie is finished.

And to me, that is not a good thing and not something to aim for.

Instead, I wished that Hollywood would go the other way around. They could tone done their need for a "romantic interest" and focus on better stories and better character developments instead of throwing in a woman so that the main hero has someone to kiss before the credit rolls. I would hate to see samesex relationships dumbed down and be portrayed the same way.

So to me, not seeing romance in every little detail of samesex relationships is a good sign. It means that Hollywood has not managed to ruin how we view those kind of relationships with their overusing and oversimplifying of romance.

Team Hudders!

October 31, 2016 8:18 pm  #7075

Vhanja wrote:

So to me, not seeing romance in every little detail of samesex relationships is a good sign. It means that Hollywood has not managed to ruin how we view those kind of relationships with their overusing and oversimplifying of romance.

Well, so far Hollywood hasn't managed to ruin anything about how we view same-sex relationships simply because they aren't giving us any. For Hollywood to ruin our view of same-sex relationships they need to give us same-sex relationships in the first place. No wonder there is no 'overusing' or 'oversimplifying' when it comes to homosexuality in Hollywood movies - homosexuality is not happening!
I totally agree with you, I'm also pretty sick and tired of each and every male hero having to end up with 'the girl' at the end of your typical Hollywood movie. But like Mark Gatiss (I think it was him) once said: The goal is to have the police officer in a Hollywood movie come home to his husband in the evening. So far not even such a tiny detail is happening in Hollywood.
So to me, nothing is a good sign when it comes to Hollywood and same-sex relationships.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 31, 2016 8:31 pm  #7076

I agree that samesex relationships are very under-represented (is that a word?) in Hollywood, something I think is quite sad. Hollywood is still run by middle-aged, priviliged white men, and that still shows.

However, my posts were meant as an argument against the statements of heteronormative view when it comes to not seeing, for instance, Johnlock. 

Team Hudders!

November 5, 2016 1:58 pm  #7077

A few more questions!  Must get finished by the end of the year!

http://wmsscottholmes.tumblr.com/post/149143324929/if-tjlc-isnt-real

(The last question asked why Sherlocked panicked when John was in the bonfire)

• Why was he more panicked than 'Mary’?
I think they both are, but the eventual point of this whole scene is that Magnussen has set it up to test whether John will be a useful pressure point.  The focus is on Sherlock’s reaction, not Mary’s.  

• Why did Sherlock run straight into the fire to drag John out while 'Mary’ just kind of… Stood there?
See above.  I suppose they could have made Mary run in instead of Sherlock, but it wouldn’t have confirmed the “pressure point” quite so dramatically and obviously.  I’m not sure if the implication of this question is that Mary was somehow in on it?  I suppose that’s possible, and Mary’s still a mystery, but it seems to me that Magnussen is her enemy.  I would be surprised if she was working for him.   And I don’t think he hires assassins - he doesn’t need to!  He just says the right thing to the right people.  But back to the question - as well as the focus being on Sherlock, it looks as if Mary couldn’t have got in there without pushing Sherlock out of the way.  

• Why did Sherlock cup John’s face?
He was worried about him, checking his level of consciousness, hoping he was uninjured.

• Why is Sherlock in focus and 'Mary’ isn’t when the camera shows John’s POV?
Again, see above - the focus is Sherlock’s reaction.  But also, he is closer than Mary. 

• Why did Sherlock want to get rid of his parents when John arrived?
Because he’s embarrassed about his “normal” parents.  Again, this shows the childlike or teenage-like side of Sherlock.  This is a way you’d expect a teenager to react if his friend came round while his embarrassing parents were there.  And obviously, he wants some time with John, and needs to try to resolve things with him.   

• Why did Sherlock say that he likes his 'doctors clean shaven’?
I think the moustache is a reference to Watson usually having a moustache.  This seems to be an affectionate comment (Sherlock has just been trying to apologise again). 

November 5, 2016 2:02 pm  #7078

• Why did Sherlock tell John to go and save himself when the bomb switched on?
I think he’s setting up the scenario for asking for forgiveness (making it realistic, and making it clear that he would try to save John).

• Why did they have an intense discussion about feelings when John thought that they were about to die?
It looks as if Sherlock set it up.  It felt as if John had not really forgiven Sherlock.  But faced with death, he wanted Sherlock to know how he really felt.  And Sherlock really needed to be forgiven. 

• Why did John say that Sherlock is the 'best and wisest man’ that he has even known?
Because it’s true - why would he lie at this point? 

• Why did Sherlock pretend to not care/ forget about the wedding?
He’s in denial, I think.   

• Why did he try and get Mrs Hudson to leave when she talked about her maid of honour and the end of eras?
Because he knows something similar is happening to him and John, and that Mrs Hudson may be right that friendships change forever after weddings.  He doesn't really want to hear it/know it/accept it.

• Why did Sherlock sadly stare at John’s chair?
Because he misses him and knows things are changing.

• Why did he say 'into battle’ before putting his wedding suit on?
He wasn’t looking forward to the wedding, which signified the end of an era (and an inevitable change in their relationship).   I imagine he’d thought that he and John would be at 221B again together after the fall, and this is the final confirmation that it’s not going to happen (for now!).   

• Why do we not see any of the actual wedding?
It’s not part of the story, and would just be filler.   And the main theme of the overarching story is John and Sherlock’s relationship (which is something we see a lot of in this episode).

• Why did Sherlock not move when the photographer said 'just the bride and groom, please’?
Because he likes to think of himself as part of it, and has seen himself as one of three throughout the planning too.  

Last edited by Liberty (November 5, 2016 2:04 pm)

November 12, 2016 12:02 pm  #7079

The character of Mary Morstan was removed from the stories in which she originally features: nothing ought to get in between Holmes and Watson. She would have got in the way. Watson was more in love with Holmes - in a pure sense - than he could have been with a woman.
—     
Jeremy Brett

Perfect quote, except for the "in a pure sense", indicating that sexual love between them would have been impure, but as for the rest - well said, Jeremy. 

November 12, 2016 1:41 pm  #7080

I think that kind of applies to BBC Sherlock too.  Although I wouldn't describe them as "in love", their relationship with each other will always eclipse romantic ones.  At least, I hope so.

Board footera