BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2016 6:39 pm  #6441

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

As long as it's not Gary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 6, 2016 10:16 pm  #6442

To me that's not pro-Johnlock.  " they’re not really seeing the obvious, which is—they are—they love each other. But not in a sexual way."  Isn't that exactly the non-Johnlockers (for lack of a better name, sorry people!)  view - that they love each other, but we're just not seeing sexual attraction? 

Sex being thinking - doesn't that again connect him up sexually to Irene, who kind of seduces him in that way (through solving the hiker puzzle.  Not to mention her clever disguise)?  No criticism of clearly intelligent John, but I don't think it's his brain that attracts Sherlock so much as his heart,and the bond that they have. 

Reading the synopsis, they talk about it being a friendship, they say people are free to ship them, but that it's not sexual.  This is what they've been saying all along, and again at SDCC.  I don't think it's anything new!

Last edited by Liberty (August 6, 2016 10:38 pm)

August 7, 2016 5:52 am  #6443

As it is from 2011, it surely is nothing new. ;-)

You mentioned one interesting point that made me think: is "friendship" really the same as "they love each other but without sex"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 7, 2016 7:12 am  #6444

Bromance:  a close, loving friendship.
Recently discovered we have one in my own family and it warms my heart.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

August 7, 2016 8:27 am  #6445

If you have two men who love each other in a platonic way with no romantic and/or sexual attraction, that is to me the defintion of a close friendship.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 7, 2016 8:56 am  #6446

Mine, too.

August 7, 2016 9:15 am  #6447

Yes, I agree.  I know we've talked about this before, but sex is pretty much the defining thing that turns it from friendship to "romance".   Once you throw in sexual attraction, it changes the nature of the relationship, I think, even if it's never consummated or requited. 

I think some of the confusion is because they do love each other.  They aren't just friends in the usual sense.   So when I read those Johnlock metas, they'll often point out things that go beyond what you'd expect of the average pair of friends.   But to me, that's the point.  They're not showing a typical friendship, but a particularly strong, enduring, loving one, two people who banter but who love each other and would do anything for each other.  The "greatest friendship ever"  (I know Steven is prone to hyperbole, but I think he really does think this is a special friendship, that people fall in love with). 

And yes, I saw the piece was from 2011, but I thought it was being shown here as something new, when to me it's the same thing they've been saying all along.  They always say it's a friendship.  They always say that they love each other. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 7, 2016 9:20 am)

August 7, 2016 9:50 am  #6448

So "romance" always means "with sex" for you? Or is there a difference between "romance" and "sexual relationship"? And if there is, what is the difference between "friendship", "romance" ans "sexual relationship"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 7, 2016 10:05 am  #6449

Interesting topic.
I'll take the challenge.
For me:
1. A friend is someone I love. They are not related to me and I am neither romantically or sexually attracted to them.
2. Romance: I always confess(and my husband would confirm this!)that I don't have a romantic bone in my body. But it's not entirely true. I do find it difficult to explain though and maybe to classify as romance. But I can read beautiful poetry, listen to a moving piece of music, look at a famous work of art or watch a ballet etc and feel emotionally moved by it, which could be seen as a form of romance. I can appreciate beautiful people or look at a sweet couple together and it stirs my heart...that kind of thing. I suppose traditionally and maybe for some strictly religious people, they will love somebody, though not consummate the love until married. I think sacrificing oneself for another, could also be seen as romantic.
3. Sexual relationship is what it is: you've had it, are having it, or are wanting it.

In terms of BBC Sherlock:
1. I prefer to think Sherlock is a virgin and at least has a very low sex drive. I don't think he seeks a relationship with anyone.  But even if I may be wrong in at least some of that, I do not feel he is at all attracted to John. I think he loves John more than anyone else on the planet and I think he would do anything for him. That could well be seen as romantic, but it is no way sexual and ALSO for me, not physical, that's the point.
2. John for me is in love with Mary(romantic), they have a sexual relationship.
I feel John loves Sherlock as his best friend and possibly would do anything for him...though I don't now know if he would go as far as risking his own life, because of his concerns for wife and child. But he is not physically attracted to Sherlock and does not seeks a sexual relationship as he does with Mary(and other women previously)

I feel two male friends can be demonstrably affectionate to each other: hugs and maybe even A kiss in extreme circumstances.
But they won't romantically want to hold hands, snog or want to be sexually active with each other.

That's my first shot at this, anyhow.

Last edited by besleybean (August 7, 2016 10:11 am)

August 7, 2016 10:43 am  #6450

Schmiezi wrote:

So "romance" always means "with sex" for you? Or is there a difference between "romance" and "sexual relationship"? And if there is, what is the difference between "friendship", "romance" ans "sexual relationship"?

Good question.  I think we're in difficulty because the meanings are so broad.  That's why I put "romance" in inverted commas.  Romance covers such a hugely wide area, but a "romance", in the sense I was meaning, is something more specific - "that" sort of relationship.  Whereas many of the things Sherlock and John might do for each other are romantic (and there can be romantic friendships - although there are different definitions of those too!), it's not a "romance" in the narrow sense.  Yes, "romance", in inverted commas, is meant to mean "with sex", whether or not sex ever actually happens - I was implying sexual attraction.

It's why I keep coming back to sex, I think, because that's the difference between friendship and something else (Johnlock).  Basically, do they fancy each other, or not? 

To muddy the waters a bit more, friendship can exist alongside romantic love - friends can fall in love, friends can have sex, people can be in romantic relationships and also be friends ... romantic relationships can lose the sexual element but keep the friendship element and so on.     But I think that if you're defining the relationship as "a friendship", when you're talking about people who love each other, it's implied that that's what the relationship's about.   For instance, you wouldn't tend to refer to Mrs Holmes as Mr Holmes "friend", or say their relationship was a friendship.   Same with Mary and John.   Even the same with Molly and her boyfriend.  

So I think consistently describing Sherlock and John's relationship as a "friendship" is telling.  That's what they're writing about, that's what Benedict and Martin are playing.   Otherwise, I think they'd just use the much more ambiguous "relationship". 

Last edited by Liberty (August 7, 2016 10:45 am)

August 7, 2016 1:41 pm  #6451

Let's not accidentally erase asexuality, in our rush to define something as undefinable as 'love', by implying that sexual attraction is in any way prerequisite for falling or being in romantic love with someone.

(I am not saying either of them are asexual, just that the concept of 'love' comes in many flavours and does not conform to a universal standard.)

Last edited by GimmeCat (August 7, 2016 1:44 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

August 7, 2016 1:45 pm  #6452

I don't think any of us are doing that.
I can see them as separate things, which is why I tried to separate them out in my response.
I prefer to think of Sherlock as asexual. but the BBC team seem to preclude that. They would probably consider him at the most celibate.
But I DO think there is a difference between loving somebody and being in love with somebody.
As I have previously mentioned: we may love a friend, a child, a sibling, a parent etc.  
But we would only tend to be in-love with a partner.

August 7, 2016 1:49 pm  #6453

But being "in love" with somebody doesn't necessarily have to include a sexual element. I've been in love, and had a romantic relationship, with someone I had no sexual inclination towards. Hand holding, cuddling, intimate touches, all those things are romantic and things you only typically do with a "partner". I know that's ultimately subjective, but it convinces me that one is not a requirement for the other.

My posts are mostly directed at Liberty btw, not you Besley.

Last edited by GimmeCat (August 7, 2016 1:53 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

August 7, 2016 1:52 pm  #6454

I entirely agree with you.
But I don't think Sherlock and John are doing any of that.
The BBC show has demonstrably shown us that John and Mary are in a relationship.
Sherlock and John are colleagues and friends.

August 7, 2016 2:30 pm  #6455

Forgive me for going slightly off topic but I promise I'll be brief. 

I honestly dislike the word "bromance" and I disliked it before I discovered Sherlock.

The word bromance was invented as a joke to be used when two male friends acted in any way too intimate with each other.  Not intimate as in sex but as in closer than society feels male friends should act toward each other.  Female friends are allowed to hug and cuddle and walk arm in arm.  There is a level of intimacy that men society denies men.  

In my observations, "bromance" is just another way to say "no homo"

Last edited by tonnaree (August 7, 2016 2:31 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 7, 2016 2:33 pm  #6456

Well just as the gay community claimed 'queer', so men should proclaim 'bromance'.
There is no reason why two men shouldn't have a close loving friendship and they do.
This is what Sherlock and John have and it's great.
But they are not IN a relationship.
The same as close loving, female 'girlfriends' are not in a relationship.
They love each other.
But they are not in-love.

Last edited by besleybean (August 7, 2016 2:34 pm)

August 7, 2016 2:45 pm  #6457

Gimmiecat, I wasn't trying to erase any form of sexuality.   Remember that we're talking about what the creators might be meaning when they call it a "friendship".  I did mention that in real life, there's a lot of variation and overlap, that there can be romantic friendships and so on.  The lines are pretty blurry, and even within a relationship things can change.  But I think what we are actually being shown is pretty straightforward. 

With asexuality, it doesn't help that the meaning is a bit blurry too.   Sherlock is shown as asexual in the sense of abstaining and removing himself from sex, but I think he's explicitly not asexual in the sense of desire and orientation.  John is shown as not asexual.   (Yes, he could be asexual and still having sexual relationships, etc., but I'm just talking about what we're being shown).   If there was no sexual attraction to each other, I'd see that as more of a friendship, possibly a romantic friendship. 

If we're talking about under-represented alternative sexualities, I do think there's a good case for seeing Sherlock as a sub/masochist, going by what's in the show.  There's no evidence for John on that spectrum, I don't think. 

But as for what we're being shown, and the story we're being told, I think that's a bit of a red herring.   There's no evidence that I can see of sexual attraction (alongside a ton of evidence for love, devotion, etc.).  It's consistently referred to as a friendship (whereas even if they were trying to show an asexual romantic pairing, "relationship" would have been a better and more ambiguous term to use). 

I do think it's possible that their close relationship with each other might end up meaning that they don't really need sexual/romantic partners, and end up "together", even though it's still a friendship.   And I kind of like that idea.  Not every story has to end up with the characters in "that" sort of relationship, despite what we're constantly shown on TV/film. 

August 7, 2016 2:48 pm  #6458

Liberty wrote:

If we're talking about under-represented alternative sexualities, I do think there's a good case for seeing Sherlock as a sub/masochist, going by what's in the show.  There's no evidence for John on that spectrum, I don't think. 

Interesting observation. What do you base this on?

Not saying I disagree, just curious about your deductions.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 7, 2016 2:48 pm  #6459

@ Tonnaree, I'm not a fan of "bromance" either.  It tends to be used in a mocking way. 

August 7, 2016 3:09 pm  #6460

Vhanja wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Interesting observation. What do you base this on?

Not saying I disagree, just curious about your deductions.

The big thing is that Irene approaches him in that way, and her superpower is knowing what people like.  Maybe she reads him wrong, but ... he falls for her anyway, which suggests she wasn't far off the mark.    This is more subjective, but he seems interested in the word "dominatrix" (he repeats it almost to himself), and gets excited about the idea of "power play" - now that has a double meaning, and he's talking about it in the non-sexual sense, but it's also often the focus of BDSM, and a word that's used a lot when talking about those activities.  

His relationship with Irene involves mind games, manipulation, power and control, which seems to excite them both. Not at all conclusive, but this is the only glimpse we get of his romantic/sexual life, and this is the type of relationship we're shown. 

This is even less like evidence, but the way he uses drugs, and adventure to relieve boredom and for sensation, is something that would tie into him wanting to something similar sexually (mind games, limit testing, more extreme sensations, endorphins, etc.).  It's nothing on its own, but along with Irene's approach, it definitely raises the possibility. 

I don't think for a minute that that's a road they're going down, or that they mean this seriously.  I think it's just a bit of fun, and his actual sexuality could be something quite different.   But I do think there's a fair bit of evidence there for those who want to see it ... more than there is for asexuality, or being gay, for instance. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 7, 2016 3:13 pm)

Board footera