BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 13, 2016 2:24 pm  #5861

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Liberty wrote:

It doesn't really matter whether John correctly or incorrectly assessed what Sherlock felt for either Irene or Janine - the point is that he cares for him and wants him to have a girlfriend - he wants him to be happy. 

Of course, it´s part of personal interpretation and I have not an actual insight into these characters heads... but I actually doubt John wants Sherlock to have a girfriend, even if Martin mentioned it in an interview. He wants Sherlock to be happy, yes, but I think he is at a loss of how to achieve it. And I doubt he is unaware that Sherlock doesn´t really care for women (both times he sees him with a woman, he is quite shocked), so why would he want to push Sherlock into happiness using some elusive "gilfriend" as the means to do it? If you like something, but the others don´t share your entusiasm for this thing, it would be a folly to force it unto them to make them happy, wouldn´t it?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 13, 2016 2:26 pm  #5862

Sorry Liberty!  I got confused. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 13, 2016 2:53 pm  #5863

No need to apologise - I was just trying to say that I was aware of it and speaking from that perspective!   I think TAB is confusing, because it's just Sherlock's mind palace - but it probably does give a good idea of his view of other characters, whether he's correct or not.  In this case, I don't see any reason to think he's incorrect. 

Anyway, I think ASIP and TAB make it clear that it's not really that Sherlock is not attracted to people (I don't think it matters too much if it's women or men), but that he chooses to avoid relationships (because he believes they put him at a dangerous disadvantage intellectually and emotionally).   And I think, also, that he kind of regrets that at times (as shown in TSOT and TAB). 

I think John is shocked at seeing Sherlock with Janine because he knows Sherlock doesn't do relationships. 

But I think that what John intuits (and what Moftiss mention, and Martin, and Sherlock's mind palace version of John) is that there's a part of Sherlock that doesn't really want to be alone, that secretly desires to have what "real people" have.  (I don't think that's the same as trying to force it on him at all!  It's not like he tries to set him up on dates or anything.  He respects his view on the matter, but likes the idea of him being happy).

I don't see what's wrong with that - Moftiss, Martin and what we're shown in the show all seem to be saying the same thing?

Last edited by Liberty (June 13, 2016 2:57 pm)

June 24, 2016 8:04 pm  #5864

It's probably not intentional, and probably doesn't mean anything - but I love the similarities here!

https://asherlockstudy.tumblr.com/post/146406270120

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 25, 2016 7:58 am  #5865

Very cute .   I suppose in terms of Johnlock, it doesn't matter if it's intentional or not.  The scene is already set up to look like a date!  (Although Lady and The Tramp take it a lot further!).

June 25, 2016 8:16 am  #5866

"When I woke next morning he was in my room, and a funny-looking object he was.  His dressing-gown lay on a chair, and he was putting up a fifty-six pound dumb-bell, without a rag to cover him.  Nature didn’t give him a very symmetrical face, nor the sweetest of expressions; but he has a figure like a Greek statue."

This is from a book in which a medical student writes about his adventures with a brilliant but unorthodox genius living with his landlady above a little grocery shop. The book was written in 1895, the title is "The Stark Munro Letters" and the author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It is generally regarded as strongly autobiographical. 
(full text here: https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Stark_Munro_Letters)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 25, 2016 12:20 pm  #5867

SusiGo wrote:

"When I woke next morning he was in my room, and a funny-looking object he was.  His dressing-gown lay on a chair, and he was putting up a fifty-six pound dumb-bell, without a rag to cover him.  Nature didn’t give him a very symmetrical face, nor the sweetest of expressions; but he has a figure like a Greek statue."

This is from a book in which a medical student writes about his adventures with a brilliant but unorthodox genius living with his landlady above a little grocery shop. The book was written in 1895, the title is "The Stark Munro Letters" and the author is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. It is generally regarded as strongly autobiographical. 
(full text here: https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Stark_Munro_Letters)

Wow, they must be the best bros.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 25, 2016 1:12 pm  #5868

Do you mean that Arthur Conan Doyle was attracted to men ("autobiographical")?  I don't know enough about him to say either way.   Or about the stories, to be honest - I can't tell from reading that if it's meant to imply sexual attraction or not.   But I've always been open to the idea of ACD Watson/Holmes being gay. 

I'm not sure about Moftiss, though.   I think they'd have promoted Sherlock and John as gay if they thought that was ACD's intention (and his own orientation!). 

June 25, 2016 2:18 pm  #5869

I shall say this again: ACD's notebooks show that he felt sorry for gay men as he believed they were ill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 25, 2016 3:22 pm  #5870

besleybean wrote:

I shall say this again: ACD's notebooks show that he felt sorry for gay men as he believed they were ill.

I"m not saying he was gay, but these statements don't rule out the idea that he could've had some same sex attraction but believed himself to be ill.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

June 25, 2016 3:37 pm  #5871

True, and I think views were very different in those days.  And he was a doctor, who might have had more of a leaning towards seeing it as an illness.  That might have been a more reasonable assumption back in those days, even though it seems outrageous now.   As I say, I don't feel I know him well enough to decide. 

I don't think writing about the male form like that (even autobiographically) is a clincher, though.    Admiring the human body doesn't necessarily have to include sexual attraction, and I don't think a writer writing like that necessarily implies it.  The piece is a bit mixed (the description of the face and expression isn't flattering) and doesn't really show the narrator's feelings.  I read the bits around it (not the whole thing) and my first impression is that it seemed to be describing an interesting and unusual character, rather than showing romantic or sexual feelings.   But I think that as always, in writing of that time, it's difficult to know what's left unsaid when it comes to "the love that dare not speak its name"! 

June 25, 2016 4:00 pm  #5872

Yes in theory, we could say ' Who knows?' for Canon.
But having read that biography of ACD, I am as certain as I can be, that he would not write a character he liked as being gay.(Unless we feel he doesn't like Holmes!)
Then he did want to make Holmes ' different', then again- why mention Irene at all?
To me the 'differentness' was in the fact he didn't do relationships at all.
This is before we get on to the fact that this wouldn't necessarily mean Johnlock, as then why not keep Watson single, why have Mary become more than a client?
I would think more than anybody, a doctor would enjoy the beauty of the human form...and ACD was a sportsman, which again may have predisposed him to appreciating  good physique.

Last edited by besleybean (June 25, 2016 4:01 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 27, 2016 3:15 pm  #5873

besleybean wrote:

Then he did want to make Holmes ' different', then again- why mention Irene at all?

In ACD´s canon, Irene was only mentioned as Holmes´ adversary who married another man (Norton) the very day she met Holmes for the first time... they spoke together like, once and there was never anything romantic between them. Holmes respected her only as an adversary who bet him with her cleverness, not because he had hots for her.

So Doyle mentioning Irene doesn´t exclude the possibility of Holmes being gay at all.

In my opinion, the very desperation, with which the subsequent movie adaptations and pastiches try to paint Holmes and Irene Adler as the pair of lovers, betray the fear of people that the Holmes would be perceived as the homosexual man. Why would they go to such lenghts to construct the romance between him and Adler, absolutely non-existing in the canon, otherwise?

And if they are allowed to construct the Holmes-Adler ship out of the blue, then why do they deny the right of other people to construct the Johnlock ship that actually has some support in the original text?

Also, Doyle looked at the junkies with the same disagreement he looked at homosexuals. That didn´t prevent him from potraying Holmes as the person who constantly abuses narcotics. The point "he wouldn´t potray Holmes as homosexual because he took homosexual for ill" is moot, I believe.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 27, 2016 3:44 pm  #5874

True. The constant attempts to read a heterosexual meaning into Sherlock (Canon and everywhere) are baffling. I wonder how often we will have to hear "not my area" or "once would have been nice" or "the fair sex is your department" before this is over.

And to imagine that it is apparently more acceptable to have an old Holmes marrying a young girl he meets when she is fifteen (!) and he is sixty-one than being in a relationship with a man is truly beyond me. (For those who do not it, this is about the Mary Russell series, written by Laurie King, which is very successful). But this is of course in no way heteronormative. 

Last edited by SusiGo (June 27, 2016 3:44 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 27, 2016 5:02 pm  #5875

Don't know the series, can't say I have any interest in it.
On the 'why?' part.
Because I listen to the team and accept what they say.
That as well as believing my own eyes.

June 27, 2016 5:15 pm  #5876

I think a sexual relationship between a fifteen year old and a sixty-one year old is generally seen as dodgy, regardless!  (Although I haven't read the stories myself.  For all I know, it's a marriage of convenience, and Holmes is gay in that series). 

As for why ACD included Irene - I don't know, but I do think there's an interesting insight into Holmes there (through Watson's eyes, at least).  There's his purported view of romantic relationships, and emotion, and an explanation for why he doesn't indulge.  There's also Holmes being beaten and admiring somebody who could beat him at his game.  And there's the enigma of him keeping the picture.  It's very ambiguous - I'm not at all clear if I see any romantic attraction there or not.   But I think Moftiss do, at least I'm sure I remember an interview with Steven Moffat (I'll see if I can find it), where he said something about him fancying her.   

Edit: here we are:
Sherlock Holmes never really says in the original stories that he doesn’t have emotions; he says that they get in the way. And he’s right. He can’t function around Irene Adler and he doesn’t even realize that he fancies her. He doesn’t realize that that’s what it is.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/03/sherlock-season-2-steven-moffat_n_1472139.html

and

I remember when I was reading that story as a kid, Sherlock goes on and on about The Woman, the only one who ever beat him, and you’re thinking, he’s had better villains than this. And then you click: he fancies her, doesn’t he? That’s what it’s about.
http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/05/07/479306/steven-moffat-on-sherlocks-return-the-holmes-watson-love-story-and-updating-the-first-supervillain/

Last edited by Liberty (June 27, 2016 5:42 pm)

June 27, 2016 5:57 pm  #5877

SusiGo wrote:

True. The constant attempts to read a heterosexual meaning into Sherlock (Canon and everywhere) are baffling. I wonder how often we will have to hear "not my area" or "once would have been nice" or "the fair sex is your department" before this is over.

I don't think there's a definite heterosexual reading in the BBC Sherlock series, but as I've said, there's a strong suggestion that he's attracted to women and we don't see attraction to men (unless you see Johnlock, but then it gets circular!) - that doesn't rule anything out, of course, but it does mean that seeing him as straight is heteronormative - it's just making an assumption from the information we've got so far. 

I know some people feel that he establishes himself as gay in the Angelo's conversation, but it's clear that John doesn't see him that way.  He later asks Mrs Hudson if he's had boyfriends or girlfriends - he's still a mystery as far as John's concerned. 

The two people that are mentioned as potential love interests in the greenhouse scene are both women.  In both cases, he tries to cover up the fact that he's attracted to them, but looks uncomfortable doing it, and his mind palace John sees through him.  These are not writers who are scared to write gay characters or who would try to cover it up.   They could just as easily have brought up a man in that conversation, if they wanted to show him as gay. 

"Once would have been nice" is also ambiguous - it's not really any proof of sexual orientation.  (Obviously, being gay is not the issue - he wasn't dating Janine because he was attracted to her, but because he was using her for a case).    For some reason, he chose not to have sex with her, and we're left to make up our own minds why (I have my own ideas, of course!). 

"The fair sex is your department" makes sense if John/Watson dates women and Sherlock doesn't. 

June 27, 2016 6:17 pm  #5878

I think most of the scenes mention in the last few posts are written very ambiguous. They could mean Sherlock is gay, they could also mean he doesn't do relationships.

The question is why was it written that way? Personally, I rule out sloppy writing. So in my mind, slowly revealing Sherlock as being gay makes more sense to me than establishing him as straight or asexual. Because in that case, what purpose would ambiguity serve?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 27, 2016 6:21 pm  #5879

I think it's interesting that two of the "villains" are flirting and using sexual language towards Sherlock - both Moriarty and Irene. And, in a more subtle (and creepy) way, so does Magnussen. I am wondering if they all do it because they sense that sexual advances - no matter from which gender - is a sure way to intimidate Sherlock and make him uncomfortable. Regular threats and insults doesn't work, but flirting does.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 27, 2016 6:21 pm  #5880

So that´s what Steven Moffat says about Scandal in Belgravia, huh? Let´s see what ACD himself has to say about that - in the very beginning of the story:

To Sherlock Holmes she is always the woman. I have seldom heard him mention her under any other name. In his eyes she eclipses and predominates the whole of her sex. It was not that he felt any emotion akin to love for Irene Adler. All emotions, and that one particularly, were abhorrent to his cold, precise but admirably balanced mind

Here´s the actual interaction between Sherlock and Irene:

I was half-dragged up to the altar, and before I knew where I was I found myself mumbling responses which were whispered in my ear. and vouching for things of which I knew nothing, and generally assisting in the secure tying up of Irene Adler, spinster, to Godfrey Norton, bachelor. It was all done in an instant, and there was the gentleman thanking me on the one side and the lady on the other, while the clergyman beamed on me in frontIt was the most preposterous position in which I ever found myself in my life, and it was the thought of it that started me laughing just now. It seems that there had been some informality about their license, that the clergyman absolutely refused to marry them without a witness of some sort, and that my lucky appearance saved the bridegroom from having to sally out into the streets in search of a best man. The bride gave me a sovereign, and I mean to wear it on my watch-chain in memory of the occasion.

Romance? In front of Norton´s nose?

The second time Holmes meets Irene, their meeting goes like this:

The alarm of fire was admirably done. The smoke and shouting were enough to shake nerves of steel. She responded beautifully. The photograph is in a recess behind a sliding panel just above the right bell-pull. She was there in an instant, and I caught a glimpse of it as she half-drew it out. When I cried out that it was a false alarm, she replaced it, glanced at the rocket, rushed from the room, and I have not seen her since. I rose, and, making my excuses, escaped from the house. I hesitated whether to attempt to secure the photograph at once; but the coachman had come in, and as he was watching me narrowly it seemed safer to wait. A little over-precipitance may ruin all.

They hardly spoke together and a maid and this coachmen were present while this meeting took place.

Now, I am of opinion that everybody can interpret such texts in his of her way. If Steven Moffat sees romance in the aforementioned examples, it´s his right. But in that case he (and people who see things similarily) absolutely shouldn´t sneer at Johnlockers and point at Johnlock as something made up – for there´s much more romance in any John – Sherlock interaction than in all Scandal in Belgravia combined.

Also, Holmes is much more taken with Violet Hunter of Copper Beeches than he is with Irene Adler, IMHO. They have more interaction too. And yet nobody sees this as romance. People have this belief in Adler – Holmes romance ingrained somehow without actually reading any of the ACD stories, or so it seems to me.

Last edited by nakahara (June 27, 2016 6:54 pm)

Board footera