BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 31, 2016 8:08 am  #5301

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Well of course you are right, Liberty.
But it still remains(and I am really trying not to sound like Lady Smallwood!)neither Sherlock or John have been shown interested in (never mind linked with) anybody but women.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2016 10:21 am  #5302

@Liberty . Idk . I worked in a popular night club in London in 04/05 SoHo ish . What Sherlock said is pretty much the way everyone says they are gay now ? I don't do girlfriends , or I don't have girlfriends but no boyfriend atm etc.
To me it just seemed like a regular I'm gay like I used to hear every night .No biggie 
Isn't that how people say it these days .
I think I mentioned before , but when John mentions Lady C . & Sherlock mentions her feet , that is a line taken straight out of tplosh , to show Sherlock is gay .

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 31, 2016 10:51 am  #5303

But why wouldn't they just come out and show Sherlock is gay?
They haven't shied away from other gay characters...so why not be bold with Sherlock?
In fact, why only show him linked to women?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 31, 2016 11:21 am  #5304

lol. Besley. I thought they did in Pink  I guess Angelo Mrs Hudson and Mycroft made the same mistake?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 31, 2016 11:24 am  #5305

Angelo and Mrs H certainly...though as the team pointed out on the commentary, surely even she now realises they are not a couple!
Mycroft?
I don't think he thinks his brother's gay, where do you get that from?
Mark says he thinks Mycroft is.

January 31, 2016 11:29 am  #5306

There is a point about Sherlock perhaps being gay.

Those who knows him well and have known him for years (Angelo, Mrs. Hudson) immediately assumes Sherlock and John are a couple. Even Mycroft makes a joke about it. It makes no sense that they would jump to that conclusion so qucikly unless Sherlock is gay. 

Of course, it can also be as simple as it only beng gay jokes that have absolutely no deeper meaning. That was my first thinking when I saw the series for the first time anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 31, 2016 11:30 am  #5307

"...Are we to expect a happy announcement by the end of the week" in Pink .

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 31, 2016 11:30 am)

January 31, 2016 11:31 am  #5308

I believe it's called humour.
Though I do think he's being serious when he implies Sherlock is a virgin...in SIB, btw.

January 31, 2016 11:49 am  #5309

Humour yes . On the mistaking John for Sherlocks boyfriend ,not on being gay .
In Pink , three people say via obvious subtex Sherlock is gay . Sherlock himself says women are not his thing ,but just says no to boyfriend ,and then John writes on his blog he thinks Sherlock might be gay. Why would anyone think this man is straight .

January 31, 2016 12:11 pm  #5310

Mothonthemantel wrote:

@Liberty . Idk . I worked in a popular night club in London in 04/05 SoHo ish . What Sherlock said is pretty much the way everyone says they are gay now ? I don't do girlfriends , or I don't have girlfriends but no boyfriend atm etc.
To me it just seemed like a regular I'm gay like I used to hear every night .No biggie
Isn't that how people say it these days .
I think I mentioned before , but when John mentions Lady C . & Sherlock mentions her feet , that is a line taken straight out of tplosh , to show Sherlock is gay .

Yes, I think if that statement was on it's own, it would certainly come across that way, and in fact, John takes it that way initially.     But I think it becomes clear that Sherlock just doesn't date.  We never see John asking again about boyfriends (or girlfriends) because Sherlock doesn't date either.  John's surprise with Janine is I think surprise that Sherlock is dating at all, not that he's dating a woman rather than a man. 

Yes, you did mention that quote!  At this point, Sherlock seems to be trying to fob John off when he's talking about relationship, so he's claiming only a detached interest in the women ("formidable opponent", etc.) which John appears to see through.   This is intuitive, perceptive, mind palace John.   

Moftiss have also mentioned that the idea of people mistaking them for gay is a reference to TPLOSH as well (where Sherlock pretended they were a gay couple, and Watson was terrified about people thinking they were gay - and didn't want Sherlock to be gay either).  I don't think Mrs Hudson, Angelo or anyone have seen Sherlock with a boyfriend, but people do make assumptions - single guy without girlfriends, two guys in a restaurant together, two men of a certain age living together, etc.  I suspect it's also a nod to the fact that people do ship them, in canon and adaptations.    But all these assumptions are wrong - whatever you think of their sexual orientation, or even whether they fancy each other, they are not out on a meal date in ASIP, they have not moved in together as lovers, etc. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 31, 2016 12:16 pm)

January 31, 2016 12:42 pm  #5311

They make the assumption about John , because they think Sherlock is gay already?

January 31, 2016 12:44 pm  #5312

No,  they have previously made the assumption about Sherlock, too.
People will talk.
As Sherlock says: that's what people do.

January 31, 2016 3:16 pm  #5313

Nope. You have to assume straight pretty hard to ignore at least five people hinting he is gay .

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 31, 2016 3:17 pm)

January 31, 2016 3:18 pm  #5314

People get to define themselves.
Others don't do it for them.

January 31, 2016 3:57 pm  #5315

But what makes them think he's gay?  It's presumably not because he dates men, because he doesn't date.    I don't imagine he would go around telling people he was gay (including the hotel owners).    No, they're just putting two and two together in the natural way that we do when we see people in a situation we'd expect to see a gay men in (dining out together, living together, not dating women, etc.).  And they're all wrong.  John and Sherlock are not "in a relationship" when they arrive at 221B (they've just met).  They're not "on a date" at Angelo's.    Mycroft is taking the mickey as he's clearly watching Sherlock and I don't think he actually believes John is Sherlock's lover - even if he did, we know it's not true.  It's obvious to us that what they say isn't true. 

January 31, 2016 4:00 pm  #5316

I also think Mycroft is just teasing John a bit and he knows Sherlock couldn't cares less what he thinks abut him- let alone what he says.

January 31, 2016 4:52 pm  #5317

I have always felt that Sherlock's "attraction" to Irene is exaggerated.. Yes, she interests him but I think it 's more as a puzzle to solve.  She frustrates him.  He's not use to being "beaten" by anyone female or male. I see very little evidence of actual sexual attraction. 

As for Lady Carmichael, it seems the main evidence of his attraction to her is his heated defense of her to her husband.  To me this seems more an example of his opinion of him than of attraction to his wife.  Sherlock finds the man reprehensible and seizes his first opportunity to take him down a notch or two.

He respects both women but I think John is mistaken in assuming there is physical attraction.,

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 31, 2016 4:56 pm  #5318

I see no attraction to Lady Carmichael at all.
I do think that to Irene is overstated, but then I'm possibly overruled on that by both Benedict and Steven.
I could believe there was no attraction to Irene at all, apart from that last wistful look and the 'THE woman' comment.
So I think John could be right with Irene, though I'm not sure on Lady Carmichael.

Last edited by besleybean (January 31, 2016 4:57 pm)

January 31, 2016 5:08 pm  #5319

I think some people see a (sexual) attraction to Irene and some don't.  With Lady Carmichael we don't actually see it (well, nothing I noticed, anyway).  But John brings up both of them as examples of Sherlock being attracted, and given that this is the perceptive John created by Sherlock to question himself (it gets complicated!), I take his word for it.   Sherlock is uncomfortable about being questioned (by himself, essentially!), I think because it's something he avoids thinking about, but something that is important to who he is. 

January 31, 2016 6:13 pm  #5320

Liberty wrote:

I think some people see a (sexual) attraction to Irene and some don't.  With Lady Carmichael we don't actually see it (well, nothing I noticed, anyway).  But John brings up both of them as examples of Sherlock being attracted, and given that this is the perceptive John created by Sherlock to question himself (it gets complicated!), I take his word for it.   Sherlock is uncomfortable about being questioned (by himself, essentially!), I think because it's something he avoids thinking about, but something that is important to who he is. 

Once again your millage may vary.   MP John thinks that Sherlock is attracted to women because real life Sherlock is afraid that John thinks these things.  He's afraid that John has it all wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera