BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2014 7:23 am  #481

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Mark and Steven do not do fan fiction.
The title of this thread can cover all options.
But I don't do fan fiction either.
I only do Canon and BBC Sherlock...neither of which should be confused with fan fiction.
I've lost count of the number ot times I've seen BBC Sherlock justified by fan fiction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 7:30 am  #482

And I've lost count of the number of times I've read people practically apologizing for being into Johnlock by saying "...but of course I'm totally fine for Johnlock to only happen in fanfic, I don't need to see it in the show".
I'd love to see it in the show. And I'm not talking about bed scenes here.

Last edited by SolarSystem (April 16, 2014 7:30 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

April 16, 2014 7:39 am  #483

I would have loved for BBC Sherlock to have been written as a full on gay romp.
But it it wasn't and it it isn't going to be.
I now mainly get upset over that fact that people totally disregard the heartfelt piece Ian Hallard wrote, which for me was totally unnecessary.
He honestly couldn't believe that people weren't getting that the Johnlock thing was just a bit of fun, but that it will never actually happen in the show.

Last edited by besleybean (April 16, 2014 2:29 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 16, 2014 7:51 am  #484

I see your point. I guess we all have a POV about this, and TPTB cannot (IMO, they shouldn't even try to) please us all.

The biggest reason I don't want to actually see Johnlock, even PG rated Johnlock, is because I don't trust the all-male Sherlock writing staff to handle it well, to write it right.  I don't bow down at the feet of Gatiss and the other writers like most Sherlock fans do, I guess. And if he and all the other  male writers can't write it right (ie, the way *I* think it should be written, lol), then I'd rather not see them go there. I get whoa!more than enough Johnlock in the fan fic I read, and that satisfies me.

Somehow it worked with Captain Jack in Torchwood, but Torchwood was a very different show than Sherlock, Barrowman is gay in RL, and he never had the chemistry with Iago or whatever his name was, on the show, IMO, not like Sherlock and John do. In Sherlock, for TPTB to "go there" and let S and J finally fall into each other's arms, even PG-rated, would change a major component of the show--  if they ship the two of them, there would be no more friendship-bromance, and IMO again, the friendship is at least half the solid foundation of the show.

Just my two cents.

I think your point about the writing is really interesting.  I was really disappointed by how the relationship between John and Sherlock panned out in the third series.  It was like the writers thought they had created a 'Johnlock' monster in Seasons 1 and 2 and had to back down from it.  In particular, they showed John to be inexcusably cold and detatched from Sherlock (eg allowing him to stage a showdown with Mary when he should have been back in hospital, acting far too calm and cool  when they said good bye at the airstrip)- It just didn't make any sense at all- and was maybe a self-conscious effort on the writers part to totally tone down the fantastic chemistry we saw in Seasons 1 and 2. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can always tell a good Chinese place by examining the bottom third of the door handle"

April 16, 2014 8:06 am  #485

bb, I'm sure you're right, it isn't going to be. But not because they don't do fanfic. Fanfic is all over the place in TEH.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

April 16, 2014 8:10 am  #486

No, theories about the Fall are aall over TEH.
The Sherlock/Moriarty fantasy, ok a nod...
O.T: Incidentally, is there much Sherlock/Moriarty ff?!

April 16, 2014 8:17 am  #487

I don't really know about Sherlock/Moriarty, but Sherlock kissing Molly... sorry, that's sooooo fanfic.

April 16, 2014 8:21 am  #488

Oh heck sorry- I forgot that one.
You can see where MY interests lie!

April 16, 2014 12:23 pm  #489

"I think your point about the writing is really interesting.  I was really disappointed by how the relationship between John and Sherlock panned out in the third series.  It was like the writers thought they had created a 'Johnlock' monster in Seasons 1 and 2 and had to back down from it.  In particular, they showed John to be inexcusably cold and detatched from Sherlock (eg allowing him to stage a showdown with Mary when he should have been back in hospital, acting far too calm and cool  when they said good bye at the airstrip)- It just didn't make any sense at all- and was maybe a self-conscious effort on the writers part to totally tone down the fantastic chemistry we saw in Seasons 1 and 2. "

I think having your best friend in the world fake his suicide in front of you and let you believe him dead for 2 years is a pretty good excuse to keep a little distance when he suddenly shows up alive and well.  As I've said before, I don't think John was acting out of character in S3.  He's behavior makes perfect sense to me considering the hell he's been through.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 1:15 pm  #490

I believe in the fact that in canon, Sherlock and John do love each other. Are they in love, though? That is up to individual interpretations, which is always so fun to read.  

Though, I am really get sick of a certain sect of Johnlock shippers who shove the pairing down people's throats. I have been seeing that alot lately in tumblr.   That's not cool. Also, the fact that some of them post things under other people's favorite pairings like I saw this one with Benedict and Loo's faces pasted on the cover of the Titanic and posted the lyrics of the Celine Dion song, but then some Johnlock fan posted the John's face posted on the iceberg crashing the ship. It's so passive-aggressive. They kept posting that Johnlock is canon and tell other people ship other pairings to take the joke, but then kept saying things like "Sorry, Johnlock is canon. =) "

No, that is not funny. It is not funny to make fun or invalidate other people's favorite pairings, telling those people that they aren't shipping the "true pairing"

Also, getting sick of people who ship the pairing and call other people delusional when they don't ship it. Really? 

Or how about the fact that despite what the writers' said, these same people believe that Series 3 confirmed that Johnlock was going to happen. *lost for words here* 

I'm sorry. I'm just be seeing alot of this lately and am get pretty sick of this. To the point where my interest in such a pairing wanes because of these certain people who do this. Just to be clear, I'm not saying all Johnlockers do this. I saved the blogs of all the respectable Johnlock shippers, so I'm not generalizing here. I'm just talking about the ones who ship Johnlock and do this. 

April 16, 2014 2:05 pm  #491

I hate to throw another spanner in the works, but what of this ' queer baiting' charge, that was mentioned at last week's conference.  
Any thoughts, anybody?  I don't think I can actually print what my reaction was!

April 16, 2014 2:11 pm  #492

SusiGo wrote:

.......Ancientsgate: I do not quite understand your argument about the "I turned gay for him" role. We do not know anything about Sherlock's sexuality expect that girlfriends are not really his area and that he may be a virgin according to Mycroft resp. Moriarty. So he might be gay without acting it out. Not once does he deny that he and John are a couple, have a date, whatever ....

Oh, well, I'm just taking what they've shown us at face value: Sherlock hasn't shown any interest in either gender, for reasons that haven't really been explained. He's capable of kissing women and hugging men, but he seems serene, above it all somehow, emotionally unaffected and sometimes even surprised that he's found attractive to anyone else, male or female. He doesn't seem confused by his sexuality, just....  above the fray, detached.

So yeah, if he made a conscious decision to enter into a true romantic liason with John, one in which Sherlock would consciously enter the fray, rather than sail above it, a way to descrbe that might be that he "turned gay" for John.  After all, Sherlock's  never shown a hint of being gay, by attitude or experience, before.  But if Sherlock did turn his heart in John's direction, one way to put it would be that he "turned gay" for him.  It's just an expression, maybe not a very pc one, but there ya go.

April 16, 2014 2:11 pm  #493

LoveIsAViciousMotivator wrote:

I believe in the fact that in canon, Sherlock and John do love each other. Are they in love, though? That is up to individual interpretations, which is always so fun to read.  

Though, I am really get sick of a certain sect of Johnlock shippers who shove the pairing down people's throats. I have been seeing that alot lately in tumblr.   That's not cool. Also, the fact that some of them post things under other people's favorite pairings like I saw this one with Benedict and Loo's faces pasted on the cover of the Titanic and posted the lyrics of the Celine Dion song, but then some Johnlock fan posted the John's face posted on the iceberg crashing the ship. It's so passive-aggressive. They kept posting that Johnlock is canon and tell other people ship other pairings to take the joke, but then kept saying things like "Sorry, Johnlock is canon. =) "

No, that is not funny. It is not funny to make fun or invalidate other people's favorite pairings, telling those people that they aren't shipping the "true pairing"

Also, getting sick of people who ship the pairing and call other people delusional when they don't ship it. Really? 

Or how about the fact that despite what the writers' said, these same people believe that Series 3 confirmed that Johnlock was going to happen. *lost for words here* 

I'm sorry. I'm just be seeing alot of this lately and am get pretty sick of this. To the point where my interest in such a pairing wanes because of these certain people who do this. Just to be clear, I'm not saying all Johnlockers do this. I saved the blogs of all the respectable Johnlock shippers, so I'm not generalizing here. I'm just talking about the ones who ship Johnlock and do this. 

It's sad but there is a certain level of immaturity on the internet that's hard to escape.  That's one of the reasons I spend most of my Sherlock time here.  Here, even the youngest of us seem to be grown up enough to respect other's opinons and have civil discussion.  We also all seem to recgonize when someone is just taking the piss and roll with it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 16, 2014 2:23 pm  #494

besleybean wrote:

I would have loved for BBC Sherlock to have been written as a full on gay romp.
But it it wasn't and it it isn't going to be. I now mainly get upset over that fact that people totally disregard the heartfelt piece Ian Hallard wrote, which for me was totally unnecessary. He honetly couldn't believe that people weren't getting that the Johnlock thing was just a bit of fun, but that it will never actually happen in the show.

A full on gay romp wouldn't have been Sherlock. The writers are ACD fanboys, and they started out wanting to be true to the original stories, just adapted to the 21st century.

And being men, they probably don't get the way we women think seeing Sherlock and John together "that way" would be so fascinating. They'd be more apt to put Janine and Molly into a relationship, if they wanted a gay romp in the show. Just sayin'.

Who is Ian Hallard?  Do you have a link to the piece you're talking about?

April 16, 2014 2:31 pm  #495

NotYourHousekeeperDear wrote:

I think your point about the writing is really interesting.  I was really disappointed by how the relationship between John and Sherlock panned out in the third series.  It was like the writers thought they had created a 'Johnlock' monster in Seasons 1 and 2 and had to back down from it.  In particular, they showed John to be inexcusably cold and detatched from Sherlock (eg allowing him to stage a showdown with Mary when he should have been back in hospital, acting far too calm and cool  when they said good bye at the airstrip)- It just didn't make any sense at all- and was maybe a self-conscious effort on the writers part to totally tone down the fantastic chemistry we saw in Seasons 1 and 2.  

Yes, there were some cringe-worthy moments in S3 that I can't figure out why they didn't end up on the editing room floor, like the Sherlock-Moriarty thing on the roof, laughing at John and then kissing (gag a maggot, why don't we?)  S3 was pretty strange, very up and down emotionally, at least for me. It was almost as though the writers were trying too hard to cram too much into a little 4.5 hour space of time. But anyway, this isn't the thread to discuss that, so....  

I loved it when John just couldn't stand it anymore, he had to stand up at his wedding reception and hug Sherlock around the neck.  I could hear the whole fandom going, "Ohhhhh......." with a sigh of relief-- they finally hugged!  But there were so many cringe-worthy Johnlock moments, too, including the airport good-bye, when John couldn't even look Sherlock in the face.

I don't believe the writers know what to do about Johnlock. They're intrigued, just as we are, and I honestly 100% believe that, despite any protestations to the contrary..... any thinking, caring person would be intrigued by the idea of Johnlock, after the way those two actors have been portraying their characters, after all. But as I said before, and you agreed, it would have to be handled right, and I just don't think they can, sorry to say.   So yeah, I'd rather not see it at all than see it mangled. Just my opinion.

April 16, 2014 2:31 pm  #496

Ian is Mark's husband.
His piece has been posted on here before.
I cannot copy and paste it, for some reason.
Who helped me last time?!

@CHIMPSINSOCKS Yes, I find I learn more and more about the subculture as time goes on! To be fair, I didn't say anyone’s fantasies were wrong. People are very welcome to fantasise about whatever they like. No one is judging that - well not me anyway. I was querying the extent to which that fantasy, for some at least, seems to have developed into a belief, or in certain cases insistent demands, that it should become reality and appear in the show itself.
“Sherlock” itself plays with the idea that society is so unused to any kind of male friendship or intimacy that those around Sherlock and John often assume their relationship can only be motivated by sexual attraction. As Amanda says, why can’t their love for each other be friendship? Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?
Personally speaking, I’d love to see more well-rounded gay characters and well-written gay relationships depicted in drama, but that’s another story – and not this one, I’m afraid.
As you say, it's an interesting phenomenon.

Yay, done it!

Last edited by besleybean (April 16, 2014 2:35 pm)

April 16, 2014 2:39 pm  #497

tonnaree wrote:

It's sad but there is a certain level of immaturity on the internet that's hard to escape.  That's one of the reasons I spend most of my Sherlock time here.  Here, even the youngest of us seem to be grown up enough to respect other's opinons and have civil discussion.  We also all seem to recgonize when someone is just taking the piss and roll with it.   

tumblr is famously peopled by 14 year olds, and anyone who doesn't realize that is in for a world of hurt. Sure, not everyone on tumblr is 14, but there are loads of teens there, and well....  they don't think about the world in the same way that adults do, let's face it.  I have exactly two tumblr accounts that I go to--  madlori's and mildredandbobbin's, and that's it. They're adults, they act like adults, and I know that I can go to either of their tumblrs and not be visually assaulted by god-knows-what.

One thing about the internet--  there's something there for everyone. If you open one door and hate what you see, you can close it again, put a lock on it, and go to the next door. No reason to stick around in places that upset you.  Just move on.....

Sorry, I've gone off thread again! Argh.

April 16, 2014 2:45 pm  #498

besleybean wrote:

Ian is Mark's husband. His piece has been posted on here before. I cannot copy and paste it, for some reason. Who helped me last time?!
@CHIMPSINSOCKS Yes, I find I learn more and more about the subculture as time goes on! To be fair, I didn't say anyone’s fantasies were wrong. People are very welcome to fantasise about whatever they like. No one is judging that - well not me anyway. I was querying the extent to which that fantasy, for some at least, seems to have developed into a belief, or in certain cases insistent demands, that it should become reality and appear in the show itself.
“Sherlock” itself plays with the idea that society is so unused to any kind of male friendship or intimacy that those around Sherlock and John often assume their relationship can only be motivated by sexual attraction. As Amanda says, why can’t their love for each other be friendship? Why impose a gay dynamic on two characters who, as clearly as we can tell, identify respectively as heterosexual and asexual?
Personally speaking, I’d love to see more well-rounded gay characters and well-written gay relationships depicted in drama, but that’s another story – and not this one, I’m afraid.
As you say, it's an interesting phenomenon.

Yay, done it!

Thanks, bb. I hadn't seen this before. I agree with him and Amanda, that there's nothing wrong with keeping S/J's relationship as just friendship-- in fact, I think it's better, cleaner, easier, safer in the long run. And TPTB absolutely should not impose any damned thing on S/J just because of some very vocal fans who think someone died and left them in charge.

April 16, 2014 2:57 pm  #499

tonnaree wrote:

Yeah, I know, but ever since after Series 3 all this stuff has been increasing in this fandom, which is sad. Can't we just accept other people's opinions? 

That's why I watched the show and try my best to clear out from these people who act like immature children. Of course, I seen children better behaved than this! XD

I shouldn't really have brought this up on this thread. I apologize.

I should return to the reall topic at hand

besleybean wrote:

I totally agree with Ian there, except that I understand why some people told him that Male Friendships have been done alot over the years. I can understand why some people want to see something more.

But I just don't think Sherlock and John would be it.

Last edited by LoveIsAViciousMotivator (April 16, 2014 3:01 pm)

April 16, 2014 3:02 pm  #500

Haha whether Sherlock is queerbaiting and homophobic bepends on Moffat's reasons for not putting John and Sherlock in a sexual relationship.
     O If he does it because he doesn't like the idea of two males having a sexual relationship, that's homophobic.
     O If he does it because he wants to exploit the comedy of two men being misinterpreted as gay, then that's queerbaiting.
     O If he does it because it because it wouldn't be cannon if he did, he's just being faithful to the original- whether the original is homophobic is another debate
     O If he does it because he wants to portray and focus on friendship of the deepest kind, then he's being artistic.
It all depends on his motives. Take a look at his philosophy on the nature of John and Sherlock's relationship if you haven't read it yet, and decide for yourself what the most likely motive is.

Interviewer: I loved that line where Irene says to Watson, ‘you are a couple.’ They’re not sexually involved, but they are partners. Given that there’s always been this speculation over Watson and Holmes, I thought that was an interesting way to resolve the tension.
Moffat: It’s always definitely a love story. I don’t see why that means that sex has to be involved. What a weirdly sexualized world we live in where you insist they must be having sex as well. Why would they? John isn’t wired that way, whatever Sherlock is. But I think that whole scene, when Irene Adler has to say she’s mostly gay, she has had relationships with men as well, it’s not what it’s about. Sherlock Holmes is indifferent to sex. So is Irene. She uses sex to get what she wants, and John Watson happily has a string of girlfriends. Sex is not really the issue among any of these people. Love is. Infatuation is. I think John Watson is infatuated with and fascinated by Sherlock Holmes. I think Sherlock Holmes absolutley relies completely and utterly on John Watson and is devoted to him. ...Who says any of them are having sex with each other?

So, is Moffat homophobic, or is he just trying to say something exclusively about love and elects not to focus on sex because his message is about something entirely different?

Last edited by Lue4028 (April 16, 2014 3:07 pm)

Board footera