BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 19, 2016 5:58 pm  #4801

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Yes, but I still feel the same.
The show is about a developing friendship.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2016 6:36 pm  #4802

I think what's interesting to me about the friendship right at the beginning, is that it sticks very close to canon in some ways, but it seems to explore more why these two are attracted to each other, why they need each other and "complete" each other.  I don't feel John in particular is quite the same as ACD's Watson either.  He's a bit edgier, I think, and Sherlock sees that in him. 

I agree about the friendship developing, Besleybean. 

Last edited by Liberty (January 19, 2016 6:37 pm)

January 19, 2016 6:45 pm  #4803

SusiGo wrote:

This is true. And not few of these crime-solving/adventurous pairs have been or become couples: 

Mulder and Scully
Wimsey and Vane
Nick and Nora Charles
The Doctor and Rose 

Oh, but I do detect a pattern. About time for a same-sex crime-solving couple, I suppose. 

Starsky and Hutch! (ducks) 

January 19, 2016 6:47 pm  #4804

besleybean wrote:

Which is your personal impression. Other people may disagree. It would be nice to add an "I think" or "I suppose". 

In here we often had the argument that the writers would not digress so far from Canon, hence no Johnlock:
I will never understand how people seem more ready to accept that Sherlock is murderer (something he never ever was in Canon) than him being in love with John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2016 6:51 pm  #4805

Now, can anyone remember? Am I right in thinking Steven(or someone) once said that Sherlock really murdered the canon guy...sorry I can't remember which story. Where a woman kills him at the end?
I disagree with Steven, anyway.
However, Canon Holmes definitely threatens murder in...The Three Caballeros.

I would be happy to accept the boys as lovers.
But the team have said they're not doing this.

Last edited by besleybean (January 19, 2016 6:53 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 19, 2016 6:53 pm  #4806

And since the team never lies … 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 19, 2016 6:54 pm  #4807

We'll see.

January 19, 2016 7:17 pm  #4808

Yes, they seem to have taken the approach that Sherlock murdering someone was canonical:

Moffat: Also, if you read [The Adventure Of] Charles Augustus Milverton, Dr. Watson in the opening paragraph tells you that he’s about to tell you a porkie. He says, ‘I even now must be very reticent.’ I think what Doyle is hinting at is that Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson sat in Baker Street and said, ‘Right, we’re going to have to go and kill him, aren’t we? That’s the only way we can do this.’ So they break in, kill him, and then Dr. Watson writes up a version of the story that puts the murder [on someone else].

Gatiss: They’re hiding in their burglar masks behind the curtain, and this random woman comes and shoots Milverton in the face and then grinds her heel into his face. It’s odd, isn’t it? So I mean really, it’s just an extrapolation of saying, ‘Well, he probably did it, I think.’

(from http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/sherlock-series-3-secrets/ )

January 20, 2016 5:23 am  #4809

besleybean wrote:

However, Canon Holmes definitely threatens murder in...The Three Caballeros.

Really?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038166/
I would love to see Sherlock in that.

Um, or do you mean "The three Garridebs"?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 20, 2016 5:45 am  #4810

The Three Caballeros

Last edited by ukaunz (January 20, 2016 5:49 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 20, 2016 7:44 am  #4811

SusiGo wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Which is your personal impression. Other people may disagree. It would be nice to add an "I think" or "I suppose". 

And furthermore, this friendship develops pretty fast, if you ask me. At the end of ASiP John is running down the corridors of a huge building, shouting "Sherlock!" at the top of his voice because he fears he might lose him. And he has only met Sherlock what, the day before? Yes, right, John might just do that for any other person he believes to be in danger... but I think not. At least not like this. And yes, John is attracted to Sherlock because like a drowning man clutching at a straw he seems to know right from the start that Sherlock will be able to save him from that dreadful life he's leading when he meets Sherlock.
But there is more. It's clearly visible at the end of ASiP. So after only one episode we have a friendship that goes so much deeper than any other friendship would after only two days. Lots of room for development, if you ask me...

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 20, 2016 8:05 am  #4812

ukaunz wrote:

The Three Caballeros

Thank you for The Three Caballeros, ukaunz, I had a good laugh over this.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2016 8:08 am  #4813

I would definitely watch this. 

January 20, 2016 12:42 pm  #4814

Do you think this will be shown in Germany, too? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 20, 2016 1:35 pm  #4815

I hope the ARD will be open to crossovers. 

January 20, 2016 4:08 pm  #4816

Thank god we don't need the ARD 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 20, 2016 4:14 pm  #4817

Indeed. If we did, we would die ignorant. 

January 20, 2016 4:18 pm  #4818

What is the ARD?   *looks dumb*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 20, 2016 4:21 pm  #4819

German TV channel.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 20, 2016 4:44 pm  #4820

Those who kept TAB from us. On TV and on screen. 

Board footera