BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2016 1:21 pm  #4681

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Thanks for clearing that up. You know that for the film version they pasted on the romantic rnding on the Danube? It is not in the novel.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2016 1:38 pm  #4682

besleybean wrote:

They do use the same themes though: playing with the idea of being gay.

Yes, especially Mark is playing quite a lot with the idea of being gay 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2016 1:39 pm  #4683

Mark isn't a character in Sherlock.
Because he's gay, does he have to always write gay characters?
He has said he thinks Mycroft is gay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2016 2:10 pm  #4684

He is part of the Sherlock team you mentioned, and I don't think he will participate in queerbaiting.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2016 3:32 pm  #4685

I've never accepted the notion of queer baiting.
At least in reference to BBC Sherlock...which is the only place I have heard the accusation.
I personally think it's (at least)an awful and quite unfair charge to level at my beloved writing team.
Two decent men, talented, intelligent and moral who write the best TV they can, in the way they want to.
Though they speak passionately about wanting to both honour the canon and nod to other Sherlock productions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2016 3:35 pm  #4686

Agree, and so will the whole team not take part in queerbaiting as it would happen making allusions and the like for nothing.

January 16, 2016 3:44 pm  #4687

I really don't know what else to say, Harriet.
I feel we're covering areas we've been over before.
For me the situation falls into a few categories:
1. There are occasions where some see Johnlock and others don't.
2. Then there are the direct occasions in the show where other characters have mistaken the boys for being gay.
Then apparently John says he thinks Sherlock is gay, in his blog. I didn't know about this. I am prepared to accept the official blog as much as I do dvd content and other interviews. But other people mistaking the character as gay, does not make them gay...or even attracted to each other.
3. Only the other day, I was speaking to my hubby about the 'gay joke' thing and how in British culture guys constantly jibe each other about being gay...he certainly recognised the phenomenon.

I really am frustrated as to what to say to the Johnlock believers. Because I just don't see it and don't think I ever will.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2016 3:46 pm)

January 16, 2016 3:47 pm  #4688

No need to get personal, again, I think.
Others might feel frustrated, too.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2016 3:49 pm  #4689

Excuse me.
What does 'get personal' mean in this context?
I thought we were supposed to give our personal views?
I can't speak for anybody else but myself.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2016 3:49 pm)

January 16, 2016 3:55 pm  #4690

I just thought that "being frustrated" means that you believe others have less reason to have and feel their opinion or less in the show to undermine it than those who do not believe in Johnlock. And I think that gets a bit personal. I try not to express my frustration about fans who consider Sherlock being attracted by more than Irene's cleverness..

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 16, 2016 4:04 pm  #4691

No, being frustrated is an emotion regardless.
The cause may be justified or not.
I wasn't expressing my frustration with the fans so much as Johnlock itself.
It's a fact of life and something I have to deal with, but I don't always find it easy.
I was trying to address the issues of being part of a forum...but obviously, we all manage.
Well the Irene one isn't such a biggie for me, as personally the jury is out on that one.
But 'undermining' might occur purely by engaging in discussion...well I guess 'reading and exchanging ideas' on a forum.
Personally I have been so influenced by peoples ideas on here, that I have changed my views upon things...but then sometimes I change back again.
I find I really deal with the most up-to-date information I have.
As I've mentioned before, if I ever got to speak to Mark or Steven- definitely something I'd want to ask them about.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2016 4:06 pm)

January 16, 2016 4:07 pm  #4692

We've indeed covered all this before for several times, and you were not at all able to convince me, besley. Actually, the more I watch the show and think it over and interpret what we see, I'm convinced that things will happen according to Operation Johnlock. I'm not frustrated at all, since I have no reason to feel so.

January 16, 2016 4:08 pm  #4693

Well, I don't know if it's really my job to convince anybody of anything.
Like all of us on here, all we can say is how we see things.

I'm pleased to see you're not frustrated.
In the context you meantion it, neither am I.
The team have always delivered the goods.
I'm sure they'll continue to do so: whether it's just Sherlock and John, or if it's Sherlock, John + Mary.

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2016 4:11 pm)

January 16, 2016 4:11 pm  #4694

Yes, I agree with you that the only important thing in a forum is to engage in discussion. And actually, yes, if you do that opinions might change and change back.
As to your "frustration " about Johnlock itself: they still keep it open to interpretation , after all the time, nothing is 100% without a doubt or shade, so I don't think they regret it but keep playing along, probably to the very end. As much as I hate to say it, at the moment for me it is a bit comparable with the never-explained-TRF or the Mary-is-good-and-bad-and-just-anything-in-between. It's open. Because they can do it.

Last edited by mrshouse (January 16, 2016 4:15 pm)

January 16, 2016 4:15 pm  #4695

Yes obviously they can do what they want and maybe it's more about our personal interests.
To borrow from John, personally I don't care how Sherlock faked his death!
As for Mary, it's more the question of whether she's in for the long haul.

January 16, 2016 4:19 pm  #4696

SusiGo wrote:

Provided that there is anything that can still shock us.

But dear god I want them to try!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2016 4:20 pm  #4697

Chortle.

January 16, 2016 4:26 pm  #4698

besleybean wrote:

Romance goes against every grain of Sherlock's being, emotions and the time and energy you have to spend on a relationship...they just simply get in the way of his work and he's actually just not into that kind of stuff.

I feel like I have to address this one idea.

In TAB, they made a point of including a scene where Sherlock says this about himself, and then John contradicts him.  John points out that he writes Sherlock that way in his stories but that he has NEVER believed that it was true.  The creators make a point of showing us that the public Sherlock is a facade.

In S1 they start out showing us a Sherlock that presents himself as cold and unfeeling, but as the series progresses we are shown more and more that this is not actually true.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 16, 2016 4:26 pm  #4699

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Provided that there is anything that can still shock us.

But dear god I want them to try!   

Ah, but that is the disadvantage in a fandom of superbrains. Almost anything has probably crossed our minds. 

January 16, 2016 4:37 pm  #4700

tonnaree wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Romance goes against every grain of Sherlock's being, emotions and the time and energy you have to spend on a relationship...they just simply get in the way of his work and he's actually just not into that kind of stuff.

I feel like I have to address this one idea.

In TAB, they made a point of including a scene where Sherlock says this about himself, and then John contradicts him.  John points out that he writes Sherlock that way in his stories but that he has NEVER believed that it was true.  The creators make a point of showing us that the public Sherlock is a facade.

In S1 they start out showing us a Sherlock that presents himself as cold and unfeeling, but as the series progresses we are shown more and more that this is not actually true.

That is the difference between ACD Sherlock and BBC Sherlock. Besley's is the former, tonnaree's the latter.

Board footera