BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2016 12:22 am  #4661

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Yes, a lovely set indeed.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2016 7:57 am  #4662

Mothonthemantel wrote:

If the writers did not want us to specifically question this relationship sexually then why in the first episode did so many people that know Sherlock well suggest he was gay and why did they have John write he thought Sherlock might be gay on his first blog post after meeting Sherlock.
The writers themselves set up tjlc from the very Pink beginning.

They've mentioned (I'm sure - sorry can't think of a specific interview!) that they reference The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (where Watson desparately wanted Holmes to "confirm" that he was straight).   I think it's also recognising the assumptions that a man who doesn't date women = gay, two men living together = gay, two men out for a meal = gay, two men on holiday together = gay, etc.  But I do agree that they seem to have quite happily and knowingly set it up for fanfiction, etc.

January 16, 2016 8:00 am  #4663

Liberty wrote:

But I do agree that they seem to have quite happily and knowingly set it up for fanfiction, etc.

Why would they?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2016 8:15 am  #4664

They are basically (extremely talented) fanfiction writers themselves!   I'm sure they were aware of the speculation, and that alluding to it would increase it rather than diminish it. 

They also said that they hadn't decided on Sherlock's sexual orientation at the beginning.   (I don't know if they definitely have now, but TAB continues to hint that he's attracted to women, at least).   So they can't have had any plans to make that explicit in ASIP.  I do think they're fairly clear about John's orientation right from ASIP, though. 

January 16, 2016 8:26 am  #4665

To address this particular line of discussion.
Remember, the writers have said that they were aware of certain sniggerings about Holmes and Watson.
Rather than ignore this, they decided to play with the idea.
I maintain that ACD wrote Holmes as he did, because to be asexual(or at least celibate) was something different and thought to be odd. 
Romance goes against every grain of Sherlock's being, emotions and the time and energy you have to spend on a relationship...they just simply get in the way of his work and he's actually just not into that kind of stuff.

Can I add, that once again I was lying awake this morning and had various thoughts about Sherlock and John...some of which I wouldn't put here, for fear of offence.
I know there was something I wanted to contribute and of course I now cannot for the life of me think what it was.
I have considered keeping a notebook by my bed.
But I would be furious enough about noting down stuff for work...never mind for a Sherlock forum- that does rather seem a bridge too far!
But certainly bed is often where I have my greatest ideas!
Maybe it will come back to me at another time...

Last edited by besleybean (January 16, 2016 12:41 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2016 11:10 am  #4666

This person has a pretty good argument:

In tPLoSH they revealed Sherlock’s homosexuality by saying women were “not his glass of tea” and in BBC’s Sherlock they reveal the same by saying women are “not really his area"
After Gatiss admitting to believing tPLoSH’s Sherlock to be canonically gay and in love with Watson, and using tPLoSH as a template, and after watching both scenes myself, there’s really no argument
BBC’s Sherlock is canonically homosexual and that's intended

http://tjlc.co.vu/post/81797797718/in-tplosh-they-revealed-sherlocks-homosexuality

I hope you remember your ideas besley, I'm interested to hear them

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 16, 2016 11:16 am  #4667

Very true, ukaunz. And there is this quote by Billy Wilder:

“I should have been more daring. I have this theory. I wanted Holmes homosexual and not admitting it to anyone, including maybe even himself. The burden of keeping it a secret was the reason he took dope."

IMO Sherlock is an further development of this, of what Wilder wanted to do and could not because of censorship. The outer restrictions have been replaced by inner restrictions, reasons that are explored within the course of the narrative. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2016 11:17 am  #4668

Very plausible to me, ukaunz - they would not have gone beyond that

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 16, 2016 11:38 am  #4669

Yes Ukaunz good link.

Beasleybean . ACD Holmes is not BBC Holmes , it doesn't  follow if one was one thing so is the other.
I thought ACD views on homosexuality were sympathetic for the time .Raffles was written by ACDs brother in law as a form of flattery and Raffles and Bunny were a gay take on SH + JW, ACD did not object.

Liberty . I thought Sherlock made the women in tab all quite angry and untrustworthy , I did not notice any of them being attractive or anything to Holmes. Could you expand on what you mean in Sherlocks character or a more suitable thread as OT for here please .

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 16, 2016 11:38 am)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 16, 2016 11:49 am  #4670

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2016 11:52 am  #4671

Me too

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 16, 2016 11:53 am  #4672

Brilliant summary. 

Or this one:

http://trained-cormorant.tumblr.com/post/137405875703/atikiosity-if-you-think-a-kiss-between-two-men

Last edited by SusiGo (January 16, 2016 11:54 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2016 11:58 am  #4673

Lol, good poin, Susi. I have to admit, that line from Irene shocked me first time I heard it. Not because I found it offensive, but because I never expected something of that caliber in such a show.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2016 12:06 pm  #4674

Vhanja wrote:

Lol, good poin, Susi. I have to admit, that line from Irene shocked me first time I heard it. Not because I found it offensive, but because I never expected something of that caliber in such a show.

Well, who knows what other things the show will come up with to shock us. :-D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2016 12:11 pm  #4675

Provided that there is anything that can still shock us.

January 16, 2016 12:22 pm  #4676

Susi, Vhanja, it would be nice if you could add a little info along with posted links, thank you very much 

January 16, 2016 12:34 pm  #4677

That no kiss could be shown is a strange pov considering BBC had a m/m couple kiss back in 1987 at around 7 -8pm ,and have shown many more since.

I thought in tplosh the joke where Sherlock admires the ballerinas arches was a joke that while the straight men were admiring other parts of the female body , Holmes wasn't because he was gay. Coincidence then that BBC Holmes made the same joke ?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 16, 2016 12:44 pm  #4678

Though of course those versions are not the same as the Mark and Steven's one.
They're as fond of canon as they are of TPLOSH.
They do use the same themes though: playing with the idea of being gay.
Just like BBC Sherlock, TPLOSH has Sherlock going off into the sunset with Irene.
Ok, BBC Sherlock came back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 16, 2016 1:15 pm  #4679

besleybean wrote:

Though of course those versions are not the same as the Mark and Steven's one.
They're as fond of canon as they are of TPLOSH.
They do use the same themes though: playing with the idea of being gay.
Just like BBC Sherlock, TPLOSH has Sherlock going off into the sunset with Irene.
Ok, BBC Sherlock came back.

When did this exactly happen?  Holmes never went into the sunset with Ilse. She was executed. We must have seen different versions, I suppose.

January 16, 2016 1:19 pm  #4680

Sorry, a wee joke!
But all of the Sherlock team seem to think Sherlock was in some way attracted to Irene...I reluctantly have to agree with them.
Sorry, were we talking different shows?!
Oh yes, it's me!
I was on about 7% solution.
To quote the great Basil Brush: ' I do beg your pudding'.

Board footera