BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2015 10:11 pm  #4521

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Well, there is the saying that drunks and little children are telling the truth. Or, more scientifically, that alcohol lowers inhibitions and makes you do things you subconsciously wanted to do but did not dare to. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 19, 2015 10:13 pm  #4522

See for me here is the crux:
If Sherlock is in love with John 
and John is in love with Sherlock?
Why don't they just get together?
Is John such an idiot he would marry somebody he doesn't love?
So faced with this problem, the answer then is: obviously John is bisexual.
Because of course, god forbid, he should actually just be straight.
After all, of the girl friends were just red herrings.
This is even without considering ' The Sherlock Problem'...in that he's never really shown much interest in anyone...except perhaps The Woman.....the only one who is granted such a title.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2015 8:25 am  #4523

Of course, the simplest explanation is that the last scene isn't sexual!    (I remember somebody, possibly Steven Moffat, once saying that Sherlock wouldn't choose to live with somebody who aroused him in that way - it would be no good for brainwork.    Whatever else his relationship with John is about, it's not about that). 

I agree, Besleybean, that if they did feel that way about each other and wanted to be together, they would be.  I think that if they'd made John date men, it would have set the scene quite nicely, because of course we'd wonder if he was attracted to Sherlock!   But it seems that they haven't shown either of them as dating men at all. 

December 20, 2015 9:04 am  #4524

Just to be the Devil's Advocate here - perhaps John didn't arouse him that way in the beginning. And by the time he did, Sherlock was so in love with him that he couldn't bring himself to leave (or tell John to leave). (Sentiment and all that).

There could be several reasons for why they aren't together:

- Sherlock being scared of relationships (caring isn't an advantage, sentiment, sexual and romantic attraction ruining his brain work etc etc)
- John perhaps not being comfortable with being attracted to a man (seeing as we only see him date woman), and with Sherlock's "Terribly flattered..."-speech in mind, he wouldn't dare to do anything about it anyway.
- No one wants to risk the friendship

Of course, as I've said before, I personally seriously doubt they will ever be romantically involved in the series. However, I do wonder why they add scenes like the "knee grope" and others. Scenes that adds nothing to the story or character development, but only adds fuel to the Johnlock fire.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2015 9:20 am  #4525

That latter is a tad irksome, though I confess, not as annoying as the fan response to those moments!
But anyhow...it's one of those instances when it's a bit irritating nobody says anything on the commentary.
There are 2 other instances during the stag night where things happened accidentally and are left in for a laugh. Both when the nurse(sorry, forgot her name)comes for help : John pointing to Sherlock's name stuck on his head, which apparently Martin only did to try and make Benedict laugh.
Then Sherlock forgetting what to refer to John as: apparently Benedict genuinely forgot the line: my colleague/friend, or whatever he was meant to say.
So possibly Martin actually did lose balance and really did prop himself up on Benedict's knee and they just left it in for a laugh.
The team very definitely speak up on the TEH commentary about Hudders thinking John is going to marry a man: surely that's the last laugh for that particular joke, they say...the gay joke.

Last edited by besleybean (December 20, 2015 9:21 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 20, 2015 9:30 am  #4526

The difference is, as you said, the other two scenes that "just happened" were funny. So they left it in and mentioned it. The knee grope isn't particularly funny, and the fact that it's not mentioned or talked about only helps to add to the speculation.

My point is that I really don't have a problem taking Moftiss words for it when they say Johnlock will never happen. And I don't think it will. And that is why I don't see why they add stuff that can easily be interpreted both ways (ie friendship or Johnlock). They could easily have gone for other choices that reduced the speculations and made their friendship - and only friendship - more clear (but of course shippers will always ship, so they could never make it disappear completely).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2015 9:59 am  #4527

The trouble with the reasons for them not being together, I think, is that they aren't really written in.   Yes, you could look at it and fit that reason to what we see, but it isn't flagged up and made part of the story, as far as I can see.   For instance, there's nothing at all to tell us that John isn't comfortable dating men (as opposed to just not fancying them!).    They could have written that in and shown him being uncomfortable about it.  Otherwise he just comes across as only being interested in women.    So it's needing the audience to start from a Johnlock perspective and work back to see how to fit things (like John only dating women) to that. 

I personally, don't find the knee grab terribly ambiguous - I can't say why it was put in, but I think they both look convincingly drunk there and it's the kind of thing that happens.  I was actually a little bit suprised that they didn't go further with the trope of drunk friends going all romantic on each other (hugging and saying they love each other, etc.).   These two were still fairly restrained!   

I don't think there's any need to reduce speculations within the show though.   Johnlock is part the whole Sherlock Holmes world, and they do allude to it.  But I think that in the writing, it doesn't come across as if they they are writing it in as their canon, rather than just referencing it. 

December 20, 2015 10:06 am  #4528

Liberty wrote:

The trouble with the reasons for them not being together, I think, is that they aren't really written in.   Yes, you could look at it and fit that reason to what we see, but it isn't flagged up and made part of the story, as far as I can see.   For instance, there's nothing at all to tell us that John isn't comfortable dating men (as opposed to just not fancying them!).    They could have written that in and shown him being uncomfortable about it.  Otherwise he just comes across as only being interested in women.    So it's needing the audience to start from a Johnlock perspective and work back to see how to fit things (like John only dating women) to that. 

I think this is a fairly good point.

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2015 10:27 am  #4529

Vhanja wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I think this is a fairly good point.

I don't quite agree with this. There have been tons and tons of romantic movies and series were it takes the couple ages and ages to declare. The TV landscape would miss a huge part if every pairing " just got together, no problems, no obstacles". It's not that easy, in no orientation. So this is for me not the point at all. What actually kept Ross and Rachel apart? It took them about 20 series to finally get together.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 20, 2015 10:34 am  #4530

A romantic TV series?
If that's what I thought BBC Sherlock was, I wouldn't watch it!
Incidentally, Ross and Rachel were both always straight.

Last edited by besleybean (December 20, 2015 10:34 am)

December 20, 2015 10:59 am  #4531

Yes, they were straight. So? My point was, that the two protagonists getting together can take ages, thus fuels and feeds tons of movies and series and is not always easy, no matter the orientation.
And if I remember correctly yes, it was called " romance" by TPTB.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 20, 2015 11:09 am  #4532

Did the Sherlock team really refer to Sherlock and John as a romance?
Anyhow.
My point was: yes obviously many films and TV shows portray a slow build up in a relationship.
But do people usually change their sexuality?

December 20, 2015 11:16 am  #4533

I think they did, yes. I think Susi mentioned it once, must ask her about the source again.
As for the second: Well, The L-Word comes to mind, Brokeback mountain. And two movies I don't remember the title. One with Julianne Moore as housewife back in the fifties being left by her husband for a man and one with Cate Blanchet married falling for a woman.

December 20, 2015 11:20 am  #4534

Not to mention Mamma Mia. 

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2015 11:22 am  #4535

But of course BBC Sherlock is based on canon and Holmes and Watson do not end up together.

December 20, 2015 11:24 am  #4536

They do it with their own twists.
Canon Mary most certainly didn't kill anyone and was never wedged between the men. 

December 20, 2015 11:37 am  #4537

That's because she was Victorian and cast in the role of all Victorian ladies.
Incidentally, how has Mary come between the boys?
Excuse John for falling in love and wanting to get married.
So how many series do you think there'll be before we actually get Sherlock and John together?
When people really do think it will happen in the show I am honestly staggered: it's very frustrating. This is made worse because of there being so little material over such a long time.
I don't know whether to admire people's gall,  feel sorry for them or what.
Is there nothing that will convince you otherwise?
If it doesn't happen in the end, what then?
It really is a fascinating phenomenon and I do understand it to a certain extent..
But I will never understand why people cannot accept what the team have said.
I honestly think Mark at the Mumbai film festival was it...he couldn't be any clearer.
Then again, I've sat in a room with people watching real life video footage and could not believe the level of denial..
Human being s are just.....I don't honestly know what word to use.
But can folk not accept they are just seeing what they want to see?
Actually I will expand on that: are there any Johnlockers who actually don't want Johnlock but think it's there?

December 20, 2015 11:51 am  #4538

I think you are being a bit harsh, besley. I do agree that there is a lot over-analyzing going on, but there are also a lot of scenes that can be interpreted either way. It's not delusional to believe in Johnlock, because - as I've said myself before - for whatever reason Moftiss says one thing in clear words, but put a lot of stuff in the show that is open to interpretation. 

Team Hudders!

December 20, 2015 12:03 pm  #4539

Thank you, Vhanja.
It's a pity that this gets personal again. I could as well argue that I find it tiresome that people think Sherlock and Irene are love doves and argue with very little material whereas Johnlockers try to argue with a lot of material of all kinds straight from the show. Or it's deeply frustrating that Warston shall be a sign of a wonderful deep and interestingly flawed love when we get little material.
I agree there's a lot overanalyzing though. But as Vhanja said they keep putting it in and if I remember the last article correctly will keep on doing so.
And about how Mary is wedged between them, that should be transferred to the Marythread, I just took it as an example for the twists.

December 20, 2015 12:29 pm  #4540

Brokeback Mountain is completely different - the main characters were shown as attracted to each other (and having sex!) right at the beginning of their relationship.  They're also clearly shown in a very homophobic environment, which is why they don't live together (and why they have relationships with women).   Sherlock and John not only don't get together at the beginning, but we're not given any clues that they're in a homophobic environment - in fact, quite the opposite.  From the beginning it's set up that homosexuality is "fine" with them, and with the people around them ("married ones"). 

I haven't seen the Julianne Moore film - it's on my "to watch" list!  I didn't watch a lot of Friends either, so I don't know if Ross and Rachel were clearly in a romance at the start or whether that was something that developed.   But to make the same situation with Friends, you'd have to, say, Rachel set up as only ever dating women, and Ross as not interested in dating anyone (apart from maybe falling for a man at one point) - or vice versa.   And if it had been set up like that, you'd have to think, why? 

Last edited by Liberty (December 20, 2015 1:12 pm)

Board footera