BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 17, 2015 3:25 pm  #4501

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I get no gender fluid vibes from either man.  Especially John.  He may be bisexual, but John Watson, IMO, is unequivically male.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 17, 2015 3:39 pm  #4502

ukaunz wrote:

I like the way this person thinks. Maybe Sherlock and John are both gender fluid.
http://asherlockstudy.tumblr.com/post/133284476015/sherlock-not-oblivious

I'm not really sure what gender fluid means, but this is the meta that has come closest to the view I have of this restaurant scene. I've always wondered what Sherlock's stare means, never been able to interpret it. This gives an interesting take on it. I've also never seen John as flirting here.

Last edited by Vhanja (December 17, 2015 3:44 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 17, 2015 3:58 pm  #4503

Gender fluid is a gender identity which refers to a gender which varies over time. A gender fluid person may at any time identify as male, female,  or any other non-binary identity, or some combination of identities.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 17, 2015 4:01 pm  #4504

Oh, ok. No, I never get the impression that fits either of them. Apart from that, I loved that meta, though. Am now reading my way through the other stuff on that site. 

Edit: From what I've read so far (which is... ahem... most of the metas), the author doesn't seem to regard them as gender fluid, but sexually fluid. The more I read these metas, the more I like them. A lot of what the author writes fits perfectly with what I've been thinking myself.

Last edited by Vhanja (December 17, 2015 4:36 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 17, 2015 5:31 pm  #4505

See it can't be just seeing what we want, from my point of view.
Because I personally would love Sherlock and John to be a couple, have feelings towards each other or be in a relationship.
But for me, all the evidence points to them not being.
If a meta fits your pov, fine.
But at the end of the day, it's just some random fan's opinion and I wouldn't give them anymore weight than anyone else's opinion.
We can all see what we want to in the show with eye sex or whatever.
But regardless of metas, fan fics, personal fantasies...there are certain things the show has given us:
It was not a shotgun wedding: John wasn't threatened, drugged and he isn't a pathetic idiot.
He chooses to stay away from Sherlock at Baker street, marry Mary and they are expecting a child.
This is entirely consistent with him dating women before.
If he wants to be with Sherlock: why isn't he?

Last edited by besleybean (December 17, 2015 5:32 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 17, 2015 5:36 pm  #4506

A meta is nothing more or less than a fans own interpretation of the show. And I have seldom read a meta that doesn't include at least some amount of pure speculation and often also quite a bit of seeing patterns that might not be there. And, not to forget, over-analzying.

I've mentioned it before, but when you have a show like this - that is quite complicated and well-written, and with long stretches of hiatus between each update, speculations, analyzing and over-analysing are bound to happen. It did in HP and it does now in Sherlock. And when this show is finally and truly over, I am sure that 80% of everything written will turn it to be completely wrong (and the 20% who was right can live of that for quite a few years).

However,being  a part of the fandom is, for me, partly about enjoying these kind of analyzes. I love to read about the show and read about how other view the characters and their behaviour. And with a fandom that differs so much in views and opinions, it's even more fun to read about someone having understood the scenes quite the same as I have.

That doesn't mean me or the meta-writer have any bigger chance than others of being right at the end of the day. I'm just having fun and enjoying myself in the fandom while I wait.

Team Hudders!

December 17, 2015 5:49 pm  #4507

Indeed, aren't we all?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 17, 2015 8:22 pm  #4508

Vhanja wrote:

Oh, ok. No, I never get the impression that fits either of them. Apart from that, I loved that meta, though. Am now reading my way through the other stuff on that site. 

Edit: From what I've read so far (which is... ahem... most of the metas), the author doesn't seem to regard them as gender fluid, but sexually fluid. The more I read these metas, the more I like them. A lot of what the author writes fits perfectly with what I've been thinking myself.

Yes sorry I just took the phrase "gender fluid" from the blog without really knowing what it meant, but from the blog I was understanding it more as their sexualities are fluid.

I'm just here for the fun too. I fact, I'm quite easily swayed by good arguments on both sides, so I frequently swing between believing these metas and then going nah, they're reading too much into it.

Last edited by ukaunz (December 17, 2015 8:36 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 17, 2015 8:26 pm  #4509

I sometimes wonder if all of us dwell on it all too much, in one way or another.
But then I'd like to think the Sherlock team would appreciate our enjoyment of their work!

December 17, 2015 8:57 pm  #4510

I think we clearly dwell on it all too much. The problem with a big fanbase combined with a long hiatus is that we have the time to think about something and analyze into more detail that was ever intended.

Sure, Sherlock is a well-thought out and well-written show with complex and layered characters. But it wasn't written to be dissected in every possible way for three years. At some point, we will get beyond the point of layers and clues, and simply dive into "we're thinking far too much into this"-territory.

Team Hudders!

December 18, 2015 12:06 am  #4511

You can tell real art by the fact that one can spend much more than only three years on it and still discover something new and amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in 100 years BBC Sherlock is still good for discussions and interpretations.

If we only look at Arwel's job. And more so the writers! How much have we already discovered of what they might have intended? Or what is contained in their work, beyond their own singular minds?

No, we are not more or less done already.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 18, 2015 2:11 am  #4512

Harriet wrote:

You can tell real art by the fact that one can spend much more than only three years on it and still discover something new and amazing. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that in 100 years BBC Sherlock is still good for discussions and interpretations.

If we only look at Arwel's job. And more so the writers! How much have we already discovered of what they might have intended? Or what is contained in their work, beyond their own singular minds?

No, we are not more or less done already.

*high fives Harriet*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 18, 2015 6:36 am  #4513

I know this is OT, but Harriet, funny you should mention Arwel.
I showed my daughter TEH for the first time the other day.
She absolutely loved it.
But what I pointed out to her was the tube carriage that Arwel built form scratch.
As is said on the commentary: Arwel would never win an award for it. Because it was too good and looks so real, people will just think it is an actual carriage..

Last edited by besleybean (December 18, 2015 7:13 am)

December 18, 2015 7:13 am  #4514

The people who give awards for production design will know about his work and appreciate it accordingly. And if I am not mistaken, he has indeed received awards for Sherlock.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2015 7:16 am  #4515

Oh yes thankfully indeed he has.
I don't know if that instance was part of it...
But every time I watch that scene I just think: wow.
That's when you need the dvd commentary, because I certainly could never have believed the genius of Arwel there.

December 18, 2015 7:44 am  #4516

Of course it is not just the technical realism of the train carriage but details like the fact that bomb looks like a human heart that prove Arwel's genius. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 18, 2015 7:55 am  #4517

Aw.

December 19, 2015 8:03 pm  #4518

Team Hudders!

December 19, 2015 9:43 pm  #4519

Och, people say all sorts when drunk.

December 19, 2015 10:04 pm  #4520

I know. Like with any Johnlock argument, there is always a counter-argument. So it always boils down to how you want to interpret it yourself.

Team Hudders!

Board footera