BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2015 7:34 am  #4441

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

besleybean wrote:

Is he eating and drinking at that point?

Nope. Not yet.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 16, 2015 7:57 am  #4442

I think it's about the context.  Lip-licking can be a sign of nervousness - it's a kind of awkward conversation, and Sherlock isn't responding in the usual, expected ways to John's questions.  Meanwhile, John is absolutely fascinated by him. 

December 16, 2015 8:24 am  #4443

Well, the context tells us that Sherlock -the most observant person in the world- thinks he's under a flirt attack.
And awkwardness cann occur while you are in love and flirting as well. Happens a lot, I think.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 16, 2015 8:29 am  #4444

We are so often concentrating on John in this scene. But what about Sherlock? His answer "not really my are" cannot be explained away. Same goes for the fact that he is so good at reading other people and at once interprets John's approach as sexual interest. Which is mirrored by the "Gay! Hey!" scene in TGG. He may not be always good at reading female signals of sexual interest but with men he does not seem to have this problem. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2015 10:13 am  #4445

SusiGo wrote:

He may not be always good at reading female signals of sexual interest but with men he does not seem to have this problem. 

This is an interesting observation. I haven't though about it before, but it's quite true. Could that be an indicator that Sherlock is gay?

As for the scene in question, when I first saw it I hadn't been a part of the fandom and hadn't even heard of Johnlock. My first interpretation of that scene was John trying to get to know his flatmate. It's the kind of thing you do, I think - "Ok, we're going to be flatmates. Might as well get to know each other a little".

And I think the reason the conversation ended up more or less as a questionarre from John (which understandably is interpreted as flirting) was because Sherlock - as mentioned - didn't exactly reply as normal people do. Usually the question "Do you have a girlfriend?" would get a more conclusive response, and probably even a question in return. But it seemed John almost had to drag the info out of Sherlock, bit by bit. Thus the entire thing became more awkward than it had to be. (Which is seen by John's hilarious expression when the conversation is over - "I can't believe I had this conversation!"

Or he could be flirting. I would prefer that to be the case, of course, although I don't think that was intented.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2015 10:29 am  #4446

It could indeed be an indicator. 

Of course he is trying to get to know his future flatmate. But he is not very subtle about it. Others might talk about their jobs or football or whatever. To me John is going like a bull at a gate here. And why exactly is it fine and good that they are both unattached? 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2015 1:58 pm  #4447

I've said this before but I'll say it again.  From my first viewing Sherlock has read as gay to me.  Before I shipped him with anyone, I always got a gay vibe.  His attitudes and reactions to women.  His mannerisms and certain speech patterns.  It's not actually a scientific deduction on my part.  Just a feeling I get as a member and friend of the LBGT community.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 16, 2015 2:02 pm  #4448

Beautifully said, tonnaree. 

December 16, 2015 5:22 pm  #4449

Well the writers have repeatedly said that Sherlock isn't gay, straight or anything ...he's just not interested/not made that way or whatever.
I am leaving aside Benedict's 'jokey' comments about getting off with Irene after he rescued her.
Also, Steven's comments about John being a bit proud that Sherlock had got off with the hot girl from the wedding, as his first girlfriend I man really...where does that come from?
I am not absolutely convinced Sherlock isn't gay. He appears to be at least celibate, if not asexual...but he could be gay asexual.
Sherlock clearly loves John. Taking what actors and writers have all said, I accept that it's just as a friend. But as he seems celibate and if he is asexual, it wouldn't really matter...
He seems more tender to women than he is with men: Sarah, Molly, even Janine..
He accepts e.g Mary kissing him(and in fact kisses her), but flinches or looks awkward when Greg/Philip hug him.
He doesn't really react when John hugs him at the wedding.
Regardless of Sherlock's feelings for John, he officially hands him over to Mary(at the wedding) and accepts that Mary is important to John.(one of the 2 people in the world who love him the most)
Although I hate having to accept this, Sherlock clearly has some feelings towards Irene...
That whole episode was tagged as about Sherlock dealing with love.
Though I'm not certain what exactly his feelings for Irene were.   

Last edited by besleybean (December 16, 2015 5:25 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2015 6:00 pm  #4450

Sherlock hands John over to Mary and it hurts so much that he leaves the wedding early, alone, and starts doing drugs again.

If Steven wanted to show how proud John was of Sherlocks hot new girlfriend he should have instructed Martin to not act like a jealous child who sees someone else trying to play with his favorite toy. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 16, 2015 6:05 pm  #4451

I thought I made it clear that I certainly don't see John being proud of Sherlock getting the hot girl...
Except of course he does tease Sherlock at the wedding, with 'glad you've pulled, Sherlock'.(Incidentally, I could slap him for that comment!)
I just see John being totally baffled at finding a girl in Sherlock's room, as he's never show any 'interest in another human being'.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 16, 2015 6:30 pm  #4452

I'm not convinced that Sherlock is better at picking up sexual signals from men. If the writers and actors are to be believed, he misinterprets John in the restaurant.  He knows Moriarty is flirting because he leaves his number - Moriarty is playing games with him and Sherlock falls for him (I do think Moriarty could be genuinely attracted - but it's not signs of attraction Sherlock picks up on, so much as signs that he is gay, combined with the obvious invitation).   I can't think of any other examples just now, but so far, his success rate doesn't seem to be much better than with women!

Of course Sherlock could be gay (although there is that attraction to Irene - it's very difficult to define him from just that one relationship, but it's the only one we've got to go on), but I think that the point is that he suppresses whatever he is.  It isn't an issue for him.  (Except during ASIB, when it surprises him and he learns to deal with it).    That has been consistent throughout the series, I think. 

Sherlock leaving the wedding is supposedly based on a particular Doctor Who episode.   I can definitely see the resemblance, with the alien Doctor realising that he's not part of that human world, and leaving quietly and sadly.  

December 16, 2015 6:38 pm  #4453

I will still aruge that Sherlock's interest in Irene was neither sexual nor romantic.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 16, 2015 6:49 pm  #4454

Tonnaree, I only wish I could agree with you...and I can apart from the following: 
1.We were told the episode was Sherlock having to deal with love.
2. There is that hesitation when he's putting the phone away,the whimsical look out of the rain spattered window  and the ' THE woman'.
These apart from the 'fuzzy eyed' look, after he learns Irene is alive.

December 16, 2015 7:11 pm  #4455

Both of those can still have varrious interpritations.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

December 16, 2015 7:20 pm  #4456

Hope you're right.
And to be fair: Steven always pointed out that there was never any real chance of Sherlock and Irene properly getting together as a couple...though when Sherlock sees her in his mind palace, he sees her naked.

December 16, 2015 7:43 pm  #4457

When did John say "Glad you pulled, Sherlock?" I can't remember that line.

I think both Ben and Moftiss is clear that Sherlock isn't asexual. The whole point about his celebacy (as with his "machine" persona) is that it's a conscious choice. He has sexual urges and he has emotions, but he chooses not to act on them.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2015 7:46 pm  #4458

Just after Sherlock has pirouetted for Janine.

December 16, 2015 7:54 pm  #4459

Ah, yes, never really interpreted that line that way, but it was probably how it was meant.

On a different note, now even BBC Store wants in on the fun:

http://221behavior.tumblr.com/post/135331902267/inevitably-johnlocked-nerdoodles-hmmhave-we

Team Hudders!

December 16, 2015 8:05 pm  #4460

Wouldn't Hudders be 221A?!

Board footera