BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2015 12:05 pm  #4421

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I think that our dear writers are quite well-read. And Mark being an author himself. Just saying. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2015 1:31 pm  #4422

Should we buy this one too?

"Scholar Drewey Wayne Gunn in the 2013 book The Gay Male Sleuth in Print and Film, which analysed milestones in the development of historical gay detective fiction, in the 1990s, singles it out as the "best of the lot"."

Last edited by tonnaree (December 4, 2015 1:31 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 4, 2015 3:08 pm  #4423

Sounds amazing. I also read an interesting one recently. "The heart in exile" by Rodney Garland. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 4, 2015 3:41 pm  #4424

Sounds amazing...All of this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 4, 2015 6:24 pm  #4425

Sounds like it could be a good read.  I think the title is definitely influenced by ACD (although the author link says that his favourite crime writer was Agatha Christie - I'm intrigued because I have to admit to being more of an AC fan than an ACD fan in my youth), but the plot maybe not so much? 

December 4, 2015 8:19 pm  #4426

tonnaree wrote:

Should we buy this one too?

"Scholar Drewey Wayne Gunn in the 2013 book The Gay Male Sleuth in Print and Film, which analysed milestones in the development of historical gay detective fiction, in the 1990s, singles it out as the "best of the lot"."

Never mind.  Apparently this one is hard to come by.  Amazon wants $65 for the KINDLE version!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Gay-Male-Sleuth-Print-Film/dp/0810885883/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449259830&sr=1-4&keywords=drewey+wayne+gunn

The good news is you can get "Heart in Exhile" on your ereader for .99.  :-)
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Exile-Adam-Hegedus-ebook/dp/B0095IRZHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1449260344&sr=1-1&keywords=the+heart+in+exile

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

December 6, 2015 9:58 am  #4427

Bought The Gay Male Sleuth in Print and Film : A History and Annotated Biography (it's from 2005, though.)
Such a shame the shipping (no, not that one, the postage) is so expensive, it doubled the initial cost of the book. Still, 37€ (for both) is decent, compared to how much it costs on other Amazons. Downside is, it'll arrive "between January and February".
Oh, well. Plenty of time to read the rest, then, eh?

Last edited by Lilythiell (December 6, 2015 10:04 am)

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 15, 2015 12:45 am  #4428

Here's an interesting view on interpreting those "platonic" looks between Sherlock and John

The female reading of the male gaze and Sherlock
http://otpodcast.tumblr.com/post/133136720047/female-reading-of-the-male-gaze-and-sherlock

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 15, 2015 12:54 am  #4429

A very, very interesting view indeed!

December 15, 2015 6:43 am  #4430

Rightly or wrongly, I'm always immediately suspicious of any gender stereotyping.
From this board alone, we see that not all females feel or think the same.
But yes, a valid pov, nonetheless.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2015 9:31 am  #4431

That is actually a very interesting perspective, never thought of it like that. At least not consciously. 

Although all (or at lest most) of the "eyesex" between Sherlock and John happens for a reason, story-wise. For instance the most famous one in ASiP, where Sherlock tries to silently tell John to shut up about him and drugs. However, there do seem to be an intensity in those gazes that wouldn't have to be there for the sake of the narrative (ie, analyzing the shoe). But I've always brushed that off as me seeing what I want to see.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 15, 2015 5:08 pm  #4432

And personally I think that's exactly what it is!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 15, 2015 10:21 pm  #4433

Very interesting find, Lily! Thanks for sharing.

"... any woman who LIVES ON THIS PLANET has to learn to be aware of the male gaze and interpret it for signs of arousal and/or danger from a young age ..." - sad but probably true.
Explains the gender gap in the interpretation of situations and scenes. And has nothing to do with distortion either.

edit: Sorry, ukaunz, you found it. My mistake.

Last edited by Harriet (December 15, 2015 10:30 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 15, 2015 10:25 pm  #4434

I agree, ukaunz, Lily, and Harriet. 

And it would too simple to say that you only see what you want to see. There are expectations on the one hand and verifiable filmic aspects that may be analysed on the other hand. And the show has lots of the latter. 

December 16, 2015 4:27 am  #4435

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 16, 2015 6:33 am  #4436

I see no flirting at all.
I see a modern doctor telling a new friend that he is not homophobic.

December 16, 2015 7:10 am  #4437

...while licking his lips.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 16, 2015 7:12 am  #4438

Is he eating and drinking at that point?

December 16, 2015 7:24 am  #4439

It's an interesting article (the one about female v male gaze).  I suppose it gives another reason why people might see something that's not intended (by the male the writers and actors) - the idea that women have to be sensitive to signs of men's desire to protect themselves. 

I do think it's a bit of a generalisation (dividing everybody into male writers/actors and female fans, for a start ... although I can see why the writer is doing that to make this point).  I don't seem to fit into the "female" category: I'm not conscious of doing what the writer is talking about myself (although I'm aware that I could be doing it unconsciously!).   I think that for me, personally, if I was to see sex there, it would simply be because of finding the actors attractive!   I do think things like intense looks don't always have to mean sex.    They could just mean that the person is trying to get an important point across, or that they're trying to "read" the other person, for instance. 

December 16, 2015 7:33 am  #4440

besleybean wrote:

I see no flirting at all.
I see a modern doctor telling a new friend that he is not homophobic.

Well, Sherlock did. And handled it surprisingly soft. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera