BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2015 7:09 pm  #4141

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

SusiGo wrote:

And their relationship would have to be exclusive. I keep saying that. 

Which is a much better indication for romantic interest than sex, I agree. Friendship knows jealousy too, but on a very different scale and it's expressed differently.
Are John and Sherlock effectively exclusive? I mean, of course they are not, because John is dating and Sherlock pretending to have a girlfriend, but apart from that, if it came down to the core of it all: Are they trying to be exclusive? Could they be?
Oh, and more interesting even: how could it be shown in the show?

Last edited by Whisky (September 18, 2015 7:14 pm)

"It is what it is."

September 18, 2015 7:15 pm  #4142

They are not trying at the moment, obviously, but I could see them being exclusive in the future. IMO this is where they are heading eventually. And tbh, I cannot see any other way. Everybody keeps saying they want them back in 221B. But how? There is no way back to series 1 and 2 if you ask me. There has to be a progression in the narrative. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 18, 2015 7:18 pm  #4143

SusiGo wrote:

They are not trying at the moment, obviously, but I could see them being exclusive in the future. IMO this is where they are heading eventually. And tbh, I cannot see any other way. Everybody keeps saying they want them back in 221B. But how? There is no way back to series 1 and 2 if you ask me. There has to be a progression in the narrative. 

Well, Mary would have to be out of the picture. I imagine she would either die or end up in jail, all depending on how the story goes. That leaves John alone again, and it makes sense for him to move back to Sherlock. Sherlock is really the only "family" John has.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 7:18 pm  #4144

SusiGo wrote:

This is not what I am saying but I think that sex is not the defining element. It is the romantic attraction, the "saving each other", not feeling whole without the other, etc. etc.. I would be fine with them having sex but I do not think they will show it because they usually do not show any sex scenes at all. And their relationship would have to be exclusive. I keep saying that. 

Those aspects are there in their friendship anyway, though.   The only thing that's not there (as I see it) is the sexual attraction. 

(I do see the argument that they are showing an asexual romance, but I don't really think that's what's going on.  John appears to be a sexual being, whereas Sherlock suppresses his sexuality - neither of them are truly asexual, I don't think). 

September 18, 2015 7:22 pm  #4145

Apart from Harriet, who I really want to see... ( have I ever mentioned that Amanda would have been way more interesting casted as Harriet? Hilarious...)
And I agree with all the lovely posts above, I want them to be exclusive for each other, I want no partner circling 221b, I want them living together, and I would be more than fine with a great kiss instead of sweaty bed sheets....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2015 7:24 pm  #4146

To be honest, I think having a sex scene acted between Ben and Martin would just be awkward for everyone involved. A well played-out and loving kiss would show us all we needed to know.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 7:26 pm  #4147

Vhanja wrote:

To be honest, I think having a sex scene acted between Ben and Martin would just be awkward for everyone involved. A well played-out and loving kiss would show us all we needed to know.

Oh.god.yes!

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 18, 2015 7:30 pm  #4148

As I said, I do not expect any sex scene in the show but why should it be awkward? They are both highly professional actors. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 18, 2015 7:30 pm  #4149

Vhanja wrote:

But, it always works fine in my head! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 18, 2015 7:34 pm  #4150

mrshouse wrote:

Apart from Harriet, who I really want to see... ( have I ever mentioned that Amanda would have been way more interesting casted as Harriet? Hilarious...).

Oh, I could really see that!  I can just picture her now, usually rather inebriated and badtempered, on the verge of starting fights.  Amanda would be brilliant!

September 18, 2015 7:35 pm  #4151

Now this is an excellent idea … 

September 18, 2015 7:37 pm  #4152

SusiGo - Maybe it wouldn't, but I guess all the awkward questions and comments they've gotten from journalists, show hosts and the like about fan art, fanfiction etc would make everything ten times worse. 

tonnaree - I'm not going to go into what works in my head... 

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 7:40 pm  #4153

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

But, it always works fine in my head! 

Of course it does

Don't think it would be awkward. Yes, they are professionals, and therefore we would get to see Sherlock and John in a bed scene, not Ben and Martin (even if some of us would have difficulties to close their eyes to that little fact^^).
Still, I don't think it will happen, and I don't think it would be necessary.
Although I really think that both Ben and Martin, deep down, wait for something like this to appear in their next script. I am pretty sure Mofftiss would talk to them beforehand and it would all be openly discussed, but do they never have this doubt "how far will they push this Johnlock thing"? They must have. I am for example not so sure if Ben would think it fitting for his characterization of Sherlock to end up in bed with John. I cannot see him explain it in his rational way in an interview. It just doesn't fit. The more I think about all they have said about John and Sherlock as characters, the less I can see a sex scene.

"It is what it is."

September 18, 2015 7:41 pm  #4154

tonnaree, Vhanja - behave. They won't bring the great sex olympics on screen, so go to your corner and read a good fan fic. 
Now I really do want that kiss, damn it!

September 18, 2015 7:42 pm  #4155

Vhanja wrote:

SusiGo - Maybe it wouldn't, but I guess all the awkward questions and comments they've gotten from journalists, show hosts and the like about fan art, fanfiction etc would make everything ten times worse.

Don't think so, because each and every possible sex scene is already out there in fanfiction and fanart. Maybe journalists would finally stop asking these questions if such a scene would appear. And I think Ben and Martin are too professional to think about fanart and silly journalists while working.

Okay. Now I can see that scene in my head, too. Someone change direction of the topic?

Last edited by Whisky (September 18, 2015 7:44 pm)

"It is what it is."

September 18, 2015 7:43 pm  #4156

I blame the fanfics for my gutter brain! 

I don't know, I think it would be awkward for them because they would be painfully aware that they are playing out a fantasy of god-only-knows how many squealing fan girls. 

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 7:47 pm  #4157

Yes, a John and Sherlock fantasy. As a job. Every love movie plays out the fantasy of most human beings on this earth. Every sex scene in movies plays with fantasies of the viewers. That's what film does (if it's not a biographical film, and even then, we connect to our own experiences while watching)

Last edited by Whisky (September 18, 2015 7:49 pm)

"It is what it is."

September 18, 2015 7:48 pm  #4158

True. I just feel so bad for them with all the awkward questions and stuff that they got asked and the fan art stuff that got thrown in their face. 

Team Hudders!

September 18, 2015 7:49 pm  #4159

Butbutbut: What was first? The blazing combination of Ben and Martin or the squealing fangirls?

September 18, 2015 7:49 pm  #4160

mrshouse wrote:

Butbutbut: What was first? The blazing combination of Ben and Martin or the squealing fangirls?

I reckon it was the blazing combination of Ben and Martin that created - or at least increased - the squealing fangirls.

Team Hudders!

Board footera