BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 7, 2015 7:48 pm  #4001

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

As Harriet said, one or two things might be fun or even coincidence, but the show is full of these elements. For example I never realised that the whole of London was lit in violet and pink and that labs in morgues are full of rainbows. Or the blatant symbolism of being shot in the chest by your best friend's murderous wife in full bridal gown. Sad looks at empty chairs. Casablanca-like farewell scenes. And so on … They could have done without all that but they chose not to. And I really have no idea why common romantic tropes for which there lots of examples should stop to be romantic just because the show is about two men. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 7, 2015 7:48 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 7, 2015 7:49 pm  #4002

Yitzock wrote:

Well, that moment with the picture passed so quickly and without explanation it's hard to say what it means.  But I can see how it would be easy for someone to latch onto if they already were inclined to think a certain way.

So you thjnk that first the brain of Johnlockers is weird already, and then they cannot help but see what they see?
I'd rather say we have a jigsaw puzzle with many many pieces. And they make the picture.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 7, 2015 7:49 pm  #4003

@Vhanja's post (everyon'e posting at the same time!) I realize it causes a lot of speculation, but whether it does or not it's still comical, so I don't think there needs to be any other reason for it.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 7, 2015 7:51 pm)

Clueing for looks.

September 7, 2015 7:50 pm  #4004

Oh, Casablanca - ***swoon*** 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 7, 2015 7:50 pm  #4005

Harriet wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Well, that moment with the picture passed so quickly and without explanation it's hard to say what it means.  But I can see how it would be easy for someone to latch onto if they already were inclined to think a certain way.

So you thjnk that first the brain of Johnlockers is weird already, and then they cannot help but see what they see?
I'd rather say we have a jigsaw puzzle with many many pieces. And they make the picture.

Not weird, not at all.  Just saying that I can see how it would add to what you're already thinking if that's what you're thinking.  (To be honest, I don't even remember it from when I first watched the episode.  I kept reading references to it and had to go back to figure out what everyone was talking about).  But if that's not how you're thinking, it might not mean much to you or you might not find it says much of anything.

Clueing for looks.

September 7, 2015 7:52 pm  #4006

I think I stay with my jigsaw puzzle theory 

September 7, 2015 7:54 pm  #4007

That's fine.  This is the topic for a "debate" so I had to pick the opposite side, but I think I've said already that I will take whatever the show gives us in the end.  But until then we can talk about how it could go either way if you really see it.

Clueing for looks.

September 7, 2015 7:59 pm  #4008

Maybe in the meantime we could all put a photo of our best friends on Botticelli's Venus and see how they react 

September 7, 2015 8:01 pm  #4009

SusiGo wrote:

And I really have no idea why common romantic tropes for which there lots of examples should stop to be romantic just because the show is about two men. 

This is what I was trying to say about the article that was linked - I think it's a misinterpretation.   I haven't said that it's because it's two men at all, and I don't think anybody else here has. 

September 7, 2015 8:07 pm  #4010

Harriet wrote:

Maybe in the meantime we could all put a photo of our best friends on Botticelli's Venus and see how they react

lol I'm not so sure that that would be equivalent.  The original picture is a bit different, plus our context would be just as unknown as in the show. 

But I don't really want to get into that too much.

Clueing for looks.

September 7, 2015 8:17 pm  #4011

Next trope: The Green Carnation. (As in Oscar Wilde)

September 7, 2015 8:25 pm  #4012

To use those flowers in the floral arrangements of the Watson wedding and to place groom and best man directly behind is … well … original. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 8, 2015 6:05 am  #4013

Liberty wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

And I really have no idea why common romantic tropes for which there lots of examples should stop to be romantic just because the show is about two men. 

This is what I was trying to say about the article that was linked - I think it's a misinterpretation.   I haven't said that it's because it's two men at all, and I don't think anybody else here has. 

Yes, exactly - the reason why I think those tropes won´t actually amount to them "ending up together" in a traditional romantic-couple-sense has nothing to do with their sexes at all.
It has to do with my definition of "romance" being a bit broader than the definition the article provides - for me it´s not just "from strangers to lovers", but can also mean "a strong emotional attachment and involvement with someone; fascination and enthusiasm for something or someone" (quote taken from "The Free Dictionary"). That means around 90% of those tropes mean nothing but mutual care and commitment in my eyes. That they care deeply, more deeply than is common between friends, and it makes you wonder, of course it does - and to many people the conclusion is that this must mean they´re in love and want to be more than just friends, to others it just shows the extraordinary depth of their friendship and their determination to defend each other no matter the personal cost (such kind of selfless care does not just exist between lovers!). I would think the latter even if the same story was told with m/f-leads.
Next it has to do with my interpretation of the writer´s intent when they use such tropes - for example the remaining 10% that are romantic in a traditional "from strangers to lovers"-way. I see them, and of course agree that they hint at them being possible lovers. But I do not think they are clues to the real core of the story, and if you pick them up and deduce them correctly you solve the puzzle and see where the show and the two of them are heading at. That´s the point where I think a lot of people feel deceived and "romance-baited", because for them being flirty and committed and overall great together must ultimately lead to them ending up together or it has all been a scam. That´s where I tend to disagree, and I´d really like to challenge the notion that such an arc is the only valid and satisfying way to portray a romance.

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 8, 2015 6:42 am)

September 8, 2015 6:56 am  #4014

I think this is getting a bit too fixed on the heteronormative thinking -yes or no?- argument. I think this is something that never really occured here amongst the users, but very well if you search among some "anti-Johnlock" tumblrs.
I agree that there is a deliberate ambiguity planted in the show, it could go either way. But to repeat Vhanja's concern: why at all?
And to be honest there was much more in this meta to be found.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 8, 2015 7:12 am  #4015

Indeed. Why take all this care? And this in a show where we know everything is considered, especially in production design? Why place these two men behind a floral arrangement with green carnations? Does anyone truly believe that Arwel Wyn Jones does not know their meaning? Or, even more improbable, Mark Gatiss?

We have two creators on the show. One has named  "The private life of SH" as the film that changed his life, a film in which all scenes alluding to a love relationship and Holmes' homosexuality had to be cut due to censure. The other is known to depict and casually introduce same-sex relationships and gay and bisexual characters in his scripts. He has created a Holmes/Watson version in which both are female and married. And these are facts, not things one "wants to see" or "reads into" the show.  

Last edited by SusiGo (September 8, 2015 7:22 am)

September 9, 2015 7:01 am  #4016

But that's exactly it, Susi.  If that team wanted to do Johnlock they would do it.  It wouldn't be hidden away.   I mean, even Private Life was much more overt than Sherlock.   Why on earth would they make something that's more repressed than Private Life, when apparently Billy Wilder regretted that it couldn't have been more open?   In the example you mention (Moffat's writing for Dr Who), the couple are clearly and openly in a same-sex relationship (the fact that it's same-sex isn't an issue, or commented on) and share a kiss, in a children's TV programme - it's not hidden or coded but completely out there.    Whereas in Sherlock, there isn't even a scene as explicit as the one in Private Life  ("the answer is yes - you are being presumptuous"). 

Anyway, why have the tropes and references there ... I think there are three main categories:
- romantic tropes fitting well with depicting an unusual, loving friendship with romantic (in the broad sense) elements (how else would you show it?)
- references to Private Life (I believe they've said this)
- the elephant in the room - it's something that's going to come up in viewers' minds, and either they ignore it or play with it.  
(and I have wondered about another category - deliberate ambiguity because that's what people like. 
I also think it's possible that some people other than the writers add in some things that weren't actually written into the scripts - in fact, the writers have said that this happens.  But I think the above are the main three reasons).

I do think the writers and actors have been quite consistent when they talk about this point.  Mark Gatiss did not appear to be lying at Mumbai. 

Last edited by Liberty (September 9, 2015 7:02 am)

September 9, 2015 7:20 am  #4017

Liberty wrote:

But that's exactly it, Susi.  If that team wanted to do Johnlock they would do it.  It wouldn't be hidden away.   I mean, even Private Life was much more overt than Sherlock.   Why on earth would they make something that's more repressed than Private Life, when apparently Billy Wilder regretted that it couldn't have been more open?   In the example you mention (Moffat's writing for Dr Who), the couple are clearly and openly in a same-sex relationship (the fact that it's same-sex isn't an issue, or commented on) and share a kiss, in a children's TV programme - it's not hidden or coded but completely out there.    Whereas in Sherlock, there isn't even a scene as explicit as the one in Private Life  ("the answer is yes - you are being presumptuous"). 

But where would be a fun in that if they stated it so openly? Moftiss love to play with their audience and to remove all the ambiguity away from the story would rob it of most of its charm.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 9, 2015 7:43 am  #4018

Liberty: Why would the team have to announce it from the beginning? What if Johnlock is one essential part of the narrative arc in "a show about a detective"? They did not tell us that Mycroft was not Moriarty or that Mary was a killer either. It was developed within the narrative - in Mary's cases we got hints, as Steven has stated - and yet the audience was surprised. I am sure the same thing will happen with people looking back to all the signs of love between Sherlock and John and say "I saw but I did not observe". 

September 9, 2015 9:22 am  #4019

With around 90% of the audience shipping it from the beginning and big media-hype about Johnlock I don´t really think they could pride themselves with pulling a rug under people´s feet this time though..

Last edited by Zatoichi (September 9, 2015 9:22 am)

September 9, 2015 9:32 am  #4020

No one I know who is not in the fandom ships them. I am sure that most of the casual one or two-time viewers do not. I have always wondered which percentage of the fandom does ship them but 90% seems to me exaggerated.
And not because there are no hints but because many people assume relationships in films to be heterosexual or because they assume that Holmes and Watson will be "just friends" as in Canon or because they view it as a show about cases, not the personal development of the characters. Most casual viewers have no idea what the writers have said about the show and do not care and they do not interpret what they see. And they surely are the majority and would indeed be surprised if the friendship turned into something else. So Moftiss would serve both groups when Sherlock and John finally became a couple - one would feel confirmed and the other one would be surprised. 

Board footera