BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 2, 2015 9:11 pm  #3781

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

Yes, I do think that was sincere.  It was said in the context of gay rights, etc.   I know he could still change his mind, but it seemed heartfelt and genuine in the interview. 

I think John is craving something he's missing in that scene ... whether you see it as Sherlock as lover, or Sherlock as soulmate, "the two of us against the world". 

May 2, 2015 9:45 pm  #3782

I think my issue is, I've never heard of that kind of "soulmate" relationship that wasn't romantic. To me, this isn't necessarily "proof" that Johnlock will happen, it's more that I kind of react to how far they will take this friendship into the trope world of romance without making it a romance. 

I do agree myself that Johnlockers sometimes overanalyze scenes to see things that aren't there. But I just as strongly believe they put stuff in the show that is plain for all to see that can be very easily interpreted as romantic tropes. And to with one hand play so easily with romance tropes and then with the other hand so vehemently deny it just feels a bit off to me. 

I am not a newbie to the world of fan ships. I remember the shitstorm when J.K.Rowling finally announced that Harry/Hermione would never happen. To me, that was obvious. And you'd be shocked to learn what ships exist in the HP fandom (every single one you can think of, and quite a few you would never dream of, exists with it's own fanbase and it's own fics).

But I feel that the Johnlockers here aren't just feeding their fantasy, like the HP fans did. There is honestly plenty of romance tropes to choose from to support Johnlock. Yet it won't happen. And I believe it won't. So I think what I'm basically saying is.. perhaps Moftiss should be a bit more careful with what they put on sceen? Why add so much that is not needed for the friendship show that will only fuel the fire?

Last edited by Vhanja (May 2, 2015 9:55 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 2, 2015 11:51 pm  #3783

I think they have been rather clever , and in a way the ambiguity has been marvellous.  A minority of The usual outraged crowd have had a good vent and what was always just a possible plot line... has recieved huge support.
The majority of the public have finished the...oh my are they gay convo...got fed up with it , and moved on to ...TRF theories...Mary shot a Sherlock? ! Moriarty is alive.....wth?!
The are they gay q? I think its hard to find anyone outside the fandom thats bothered either way anymore.
Recently the gay kisses in BBC The Fall and ITV Broadchurch recieved little to no comments when compared to the actual plots, acting etc....which is as it should be.
I think Sherlock has done much to pave the way for that and also for that series Gaytiss once mentioned....where the main character is gay or w/e and people just aren't fussed..( well in the uk anyway).
It's hard for me to see how they could take it much further along the romantic arc without it actually being Ro instead of Bro after HLV anyway.

May 3, 2015 6:05 am  #3784

Oh, I think there are deliberate romantic tropes in the show - definitely.   I don't think that's accidental or imagined.  I just don't think they're meant to discount what they seem to have set up and stuck to from the first episode - John is interested in women, and Sherlock is married to his work.  (Yes, I could be proven wrong!).  

I think soulmate friendships do happen in real life, even if they're rare in fiction.  Sherlock and John's friendship has to be something that keeps them together, against the odds, at least until retirement age.  Not just being friends, but having that special relationship.  It's not as if they're actually colleagues who are pushed together by work, as in many "buddy" type films.   They choose to work together and often live together, despite John having his own career, and they have to survive marriage(s), separation, etc.    I think it has to be pretty strong and compelling and I think the series has set that up very well - we can see why they are drawn to each other, their depth of feeling for each other and what they have with each other that they don't have with anyone else.   And yet, it's not a straightforward friendship, by any means. 

May 3, 2015 10:02 am  #3785

Liberty, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "straightforward" friendship. Maybe a friendship that is more....casual?
And I have to say that I very much share Vhanja's confusion. Why using those tropes in the first place? I haven't got a satisfying answer so far. There must be more ways to show an extraordinary friendship than either have a " buddy film" or a romance, those are the extremes. If they don't want a romance, why setting it up as one? And furthermore, being interested in women or wanting to restrain from falling in love at all does not rule out falling in love with your best friend.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 3, 2015 10:45 am  #3786

lil wrote:

It's hard for me to see how they could take it much further along the romantic arc without it actually being Ro instead of Bro after HLV anyway.

My thoughts exactly. We have a series with a long storytelling arc, no more or less independent episodes. They keep quoting older episodes by giving the same lines to other characters or using parallel situations and images, etc. Moffat has said that this is the "Sherlock and John show", they are at the centre of the show. So if we assume that the story is continually driven forward by new developments on all levels I cannot imagine how they should return to the "flatmates with occasional women on the side" pattern (which ceased after ASiB anyway). And series 3 has proven once and for all that Sherlock is not married to his work either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2015 10:56 am  #3787

Well, Sherlock might be married to his work, but John has for a long time been part of his work, so... 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2015 11:04 am  #3788

Brillliant deduction. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2015 11:35 am  #3789

It's not straightforward ... I was interested in the interview which described Sherlock as being elusive and mysterious to John, in what is usually a female role in films.   I thought that was an interesting view and I can see it.    I also think it is romantic ... I know we've talked about this before and it turned out that some of us have had friendships which had romance elements but weren't sexual, and some haven't.   Maybe that affects how we see John and Sherlock's relationship.   But I've had that kind of friendship so can quite happily see a romantic element without there being any sexual attraction.  I don't see anything wrong in showing this kind of friendship.  They're not just mates, they have an enduring partnership and a (possibly rather odd, but complementary) relationship that they couldn't have with anybody else. 

Of course people can date women and then fall for their friend (and people can be married to their work and fall for a friend too!).   I'm just saying there hasn't been any big effort to deviate from that - we haven't seen John dating men (I know he could be doing it off-screen, but I don't feel it's implied), we haven't seen Sherlock having an affair of any kind, etc.

Last edited by Liberty (May 3, 2015 11:40 am)

May 3, 2015 11:59 am  #3790

Okay, thank you for explaining, I see your point clearer now. Though I don't really agree. I have wonderful friendships, but romantic elements? Hmmm, no, that would be exclusive for my husband.
Vhanja, I like your thought. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 3, 2015 5:56 pm  #3791

May 3, 2015 6:00 pm  #3792

Lol, awesome emotes!

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2015 6:01 pm  #3793

Especially the last one. 

May 3, 2015 6:37 pm  #3794

BBC3 ship Johnlock! 

Last edited by Vhanja (May 3, 2015 6:37 pm)

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2015 6:40 pm  #3795

Did you see their live tweets when all episodes aired last year? Unbelievably Johnlock-y. If not, keep an eye on them this time. 

May 3, 2015 7:04 pm  #3796

Vhanja wrote:

I think my issue is, I've never heard of that kind of "soulmate" relationship that wasn't romantic. To me, this isn't necessarily "proof" that Johnlock will happen, it's more that I kind of react to how far they will take this friendship into the trope world of romance without making it a romance.

I think especially among men, it's very possible to have a long term, deep, co-dependent relationship with not a hint of a sexual component anywhere. Most straight men (at least here in the US) are conditioned by family and  society to not "go there"-- whatever they do, they shouldn't catch any gay cooties! In the US, those who are living an openly gay life truly are gay, right from the get-go, not guys who were once living 100% as straight men, until they met "the one", and then did an abrupt 180 to take up with their friend "in that way".  And yes, I know I'm speaking in generalities and that there are exceptions to every rule.

I do agree myself that Johnlockers sometimes overanalyze scenes to see things that aren't there.

Except that it is there, in spades, in almost every scene that S/J have together. Johnlock has been deliberately and repeatedly included throughout their friendship and working relationship on the show, right from the moment they met. I don't think anyone would have to overanalyze anything--  it's like the huge pink elephant in the room that everyone keeps tripping over. What good does it do to be like blind people and keep saying, "Oh, my, whatever is that big looming stinky thing in the room?" to scratch one's head and say, "Huh."  It's JOHNLOCK, right there for anyone to see.

..........And to with one hand play so easily with romance tropes and then with the other hand so vehemently deny it just feels a bit off to me.

Johnlock gets the fans stirred up and ensures that we'll want to keep watching. For casual viewers, they can just slide on by. But people like us, those who are still taking part in a Sherlock forum like this one, many months after we've seen the last new material and many months before we'll see more, then it's intriguing enough for endless discussion. This is all good business for everyone who is benefitting from the Sherlock pie. Plus I think the writers and showrunners are flattered by all the attention. In my opinion, they have no intention of doing anything different, ever, as long as it works, and the ratings continue to be good.

But I feel that the Johnlockers here aren't just feeding their fantasy, like the HP fans did. There is honestly plenty of romance tropes to choose from to support Johnlock. Yet it won't happen. And I believe it won't. So I think what I'm basically saying is.. perhaps Moftiss should be a bit more careful with what they put on sceen? Why add so much that is not needed for the friendship show that will only fuel the fire?

I agree with you that it won't happen. Sherlock is way too big a cash cow for the BBC and everyone else for them to turn the show into a gay drama of any kind. And you know that's what will happen, if they allow John and Sherlock to start a relationship. Even if no one ever sees a kiss or a hug, if all they show is them coming out of a bedroom at the same time, or some snickering and fond looks from Mrs. Hudson (for instance), you know that you know that the media and the fans will then label the whole thing as a gay romance, and our "stories about a detective" will no longer be the focus. I agree with you, as I said. It won't happen, in my opinion.

Just my two cents, as always, marked down from five.

May 3, 2015 7:16 pm  #3797

Thanks for a good reply, ancient. So if I read you correctly, you think it's deliberately put in there - and just as deliberately never acted upon - for profit? Keep it ambigious enough to increase interest and discussion, but "straight" enough to not shift the focus away from the detective story of Sherlock for the masses?

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2015 8:26 pm  #3798

Which would be the almost classical definition of queer baiting.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 3, 2015 8:31 pm  #3799

And against everything the BBC stands for according to their own guidelines. 

May 3, 2015 8:33 pm  #3800

But then, it's highly based on US experiences, which are not necessarily the same in Europe.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera