BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 6, 2015 5:26 am  #3681

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

tonnaree wrote:

*trying not to think too hard about Sherlock giving John his moment of glory*      

I am sure that it could easily be more than five minutes of glory that way Well, maybe not the first time, but ... you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 6, 2015 7:54 am  #3682

Vhanja wrote:

Liberty wrote:

Vhanja, I think John gets his five minutes of glory through Sherlock's speech. 

That's a different kind of glory. That is still Sherlock & John. To me, it would be expected - and quite within the parametres of the show being Sherlock/John-centric - to let John and Mary have their five minutes of glory within their own wedding. But they don't. 

It's just personal opinion, of course, but I don't think it would have worked well to take time out to a focus on Mary unless it was relevant to the plot.  It's not a sit-com or a soap. And we don't see John and Mary's courtship - it's made clear that it's not about that because we come in straight at the point where John is proposing (in the previous episode).   It's not that kind of show and I'm really glad it isn't!

Don't get me wrong - I think it's fine for people to have wanted more (and in a way, I would have liked more backstory on John and Mary myself, especially if it was plot-relevant, but I wouldn't have wanted to waste some of the precious 90 minutes on it!).    I'm just puzzled that people think that the episode and scenes should be more focused on Mary, and find it odd that it focuses on Sherlock. 

To me, if you think about it focusing on Mary, especially in those scenes (the speech), it doesn't really make sense.   Sherlock is talking about John and solving a case.    Mary comes a little bit more into view later when she says things pertinent to the case, but otherwise, it's not really about her. 

March 6, 2015 8:07 am  #3683

I agree, Liberty. Sherlock is a main protagonist and the show itself is mostly centered on his cases, so it would be a bit weird to introduce romantic elements concerning other characters into it - concerning the fact that 3 episodes a season limit the amount of things the authors can put there.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 6, 2015 8:23 am  #3684

Liberty wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I think it's fine for people to have wanted more (and in a way, I would have liked more backstory on John and Mary myself, especially if it was plot-relevant, but I wouldn't have wanted to waste some of the precious 90 minutes on it!).    I'm just puzzled that people think that the episode and scenes should be more focused on Mary, and find it odd that it focuses on Sherlock.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't have wanted more, not more John and Mary at their wedding, not more backstory about them (about Mary, yes, but not about Mary and John). But even if the show isn't a sitcom, I simply expected (and feared...) to see something more. The whole episode is more or less set on their wedding day, and although one could argue that the wedding just delivers the 'background noise' for the real story... I tend to disagree. Yes, Moffat wanted that best man speech, and of course you can only have that at John's wedding. Nevertheless they made the conscious decision to give us only a minimum of the 'happy couple' when there were lots of moments when they could have just pushed it a little bit towards the romantic without being cheesy. And for me that's quite telling not just in terms of this show not being about John Watson and his wife, but in terms of Sherlock and his John Watson. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 6, 2015 8:39 am  #3685

I completely agree, Solar. 

And this also goes for other aspects of their relationship. For example we get three scenes in their bedroom/bed and every time it is about Sherlock. They could have shown John and Mary cooking or watching TV or lazing on the sofa but they deliberately chose to place them in bed without showing anything romantic or sexual. So it seems the filmmakers went out of their way to avoid the slightest hint of matrimonial bliss/romance/harmony or whatever you want to call it, even in bed. And this I find quite conspicuous. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 6, 2015 8:45 am  #3686

Yes, Susi, it only needs tiny details to make absolutely clear that John and Mary are romantically in love, but I don't see it on screen. Basically, what the writers are telling me is "They are married now, we are giving you a whole episode about that, so they are in love" - but again, I don't see it. For me it's a hollow assertion without any content. 

edit: About those tiny details: Whenever I see the shaving scene in TEH I'm thinking that Mary could so easily have gotten up from bed at one point and stepped behind John while he was standing in front of the mirror... you know, just to be close to him. So they could have talked about Sherlock but been close to each other while doing so. You definitely can show something like this on screen without it feeling cheesy, even in a show like "Sherlock".

Last edited by SolarSystem (March 6, 2015 8:50 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

March 6, 2015 9:00 am  #3687

Indeed. And while I know they went for a more casual bantering mood between them, it makes you realise that nearly all the heartbreaking or dramatic scenes are between Sherlock and John (the pool, the roof, the cemetery, the Underground carriage, the tarmac scene). 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 6, 2015 3:42 pm  #3688

I suppose we just see it differently.  I've always thought it has been about Sherlock and John from the beginning, and the writers have claimed that as well (and that's the way it is in the books).  I don't think what they've done is a departure at all.  

I do find it kind of funny that it's mostly Johnlockers (well, OK, we are a very small sample here, so I'm wildly generalising!) who expected more John/Mary, and find it odd that the focus is on Sherlock/John.  You'd think it would be the other way around, if anything! 

March 6, 2015 3:49 pm  #3689

Expecting to see more about John and Mary is not the same as hoping for. For me John does not need to have a wife at all. 

March 6, 2015 3:51 pm  #3690

Liberty wrote:

I do find it kind of funny that it's mostly Johnlockers (well, OK, we are a very small sample here, so I'm wildly generalising!) who expected more John/Mary, and find it odd that the focus is on Sherlock/John.  You'd think it would be the other way around, if anything! 

Well, I cannot (and don't want to) speak for other Johnlockers. But I personally see this focus on Sherlock and John even on John's wedding day as a proof for the fact that theywill turn out to be a real couple one day.

Think of it that way: The pairing Sherlock/John fulfills so many romantic tropes, while the pairing Mary/John avoids so many romantic tropes. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Last edited by Schmiezi (March 6, 2015 3:52 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 6, 2015 4:38 pm  #3691

Good point, Schmiezi. 

March 13, 2015 11:13 pm  #3692

Schmiezi wrote:

The pairing Sherlock/John fulfills so many romantic tropes, while the pairing Mary/John avoids so many romantic tropes. Coincidence? I don't think so.

and I would add that the universe (and the writers...!) is rarely so lazy.
On the topic of showing John and Mary's domestic happiness...well, what strikes me is the beginning of HLV, where John shouts at his wife because, we learn a little bit later on, he was bored after a month living as a married couple.
As Susi said, they chose to show them in their bedroom without any hint whatsoever at romance or the like. Instead, they chose to focus on John dreaming of Sherlock.
Then, when the neighbour comes into their home, the living room really doesn't look inviting (then again, it is possibly because the scene takes place in the morning. Problem? The day is not gray at all, if I recall correctly. Maybe a warm interior decoration could have put a bit of focus on their happiness. But the writers chose not to do so.).
Someone said that tJohn and Mary's living room was mirrorring that of 221B. While I tend to agree, I would also add that one might feel better in 221B, looks cosier and less...cold.
Domestic bliss? Doesn't seem like it in my opinion.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 14, 2015 12:10 pm  #3693

Nicely elaborated, Lily. 221B is John's home. Suburban flat obviously isn't...

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

March 14, 2015 4:47 pm  #3694

Well analyised, Lily. And another observation: we see John only twice in the living-room of his flat/house (MHR and HLV) and both times he is everything but happy. 

March 14, 2015 7:20 pm  #3695

SusiGo wrote:

And another observation: we see John only twice in the living-room of his flat/house (MHR and HLV) and both times he is everything but happy. 

I think John has every reason not to be happy in MHR -Sherlock is dead, after all. But he ought to be happy in HLV -return from sex holiday and all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 15, 2015 1:18 am  #3696

Lilythiell wrote:

I think John has every reason not to be happy in MHR -Sherlock is dead, after all. But he ought to be happy in HLV -return from sex holiday and all.

I agree with this. In the beginning of HLV, John has just been married, he has been on a honeymoon with his wife and she is pregnant - he is only WEEKS into his suburban life. There is no reason, no reason whatsoever, why he shouldn't be happy. 

Sure, his best friend is missing. That would worry anyone. But that alone doesn't count for the tense atmosphere of a miserable John we see in start of HLV. It really doesn't. 

And I don't buy John just missing some action. If that was all it took, suburban life coupled with some bungie jumping would do the trick. I believe that what he misses most of all is Sherlock, not just the adrenaline.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2015 8:37 am  #3697

Of course he does.  I think that's clear all the way through S3.   He's completely bored with his job, for instance.  Both John and Mary are drawn to Sherlock and they gravitate towards 221b even for the minutiae of planning the wedding.   Both of them jump at the chance of some action at the beginning of HLV too.

I know it's always dismissed that John is drawn to the "battlefield" aspect of Sherlock, but I do think that's made pretty explicit in the show.   It's the major connection and attraction between them  - that doesn't in any way diminish what they feel for each other.  (I think it's quite common to be drawn to a particular aspect of somebody you love - a shared sense of humour, things you love to talk about together, their intelligence, etc.).    So John can be missing both - Sherlock and that particular aspect of Sherlock, rather than (as I sometimes see here), it being one or the other. 

March 15, 2015 9:04 am  #3698

vhanja, can I just say: that picture in your signiture is SO CUTE!!!!!!!!

---------------------------------------
"This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!" -Castiel
"I lost my shoe..." -Sam

March 15, 2015 12:13 pm  #3699

Liberty: Yeah, it just seems that sometimes (Moftiss in particular) talks about how John misses the action. But I also think he misses Sherlock as a person. I don't think feeding his adrenalin junkie side is the only reason John wants to be with him.

Angels: Thank you, I fell for the pic as soon as I saw it. :-D

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 15, 2015 1:41 pm  #3700

No, not the only reason, but I think it's a big thing between them: "the two of us against the world".  (I realise that "adremaline junkie" is just a code for it, because we don't really have a good way to describe it - it's not as simple as just wanting excitement and adrenaline.  John is tense and stressed without it, and actually finds it calming - kind of the opposite of the usual adrenaline effect).   It's all wrapped in Sherlock's personality, along with him being brilliant, mysterious, elusive, heroic, etc. - he's incredibly attractive.  The dream is just fairly specific though about what aspect of Sherlock he's particularly missing.

Last edited by Liberty (March 15, 2015 1:42 pm)

Board footera