BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2014 2:58 pm  #2521

Re: Johnlock: The Official Debate

I have no doubt that Sherlock knows now that Lestrade's name is Greg but enjoys messing with him.

I don't believe that the comentaries are total trolling but I do believe that Mofat does enjoy playing games with us.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 8, 2014 3:28 pm  #2522

Oh, undoubtedly, I just don´t believe his games are half as elaborate as a part of fandom thinks.. but we´ll see! I´m open to be proven wrong.  /OT

November 8, 2014 4:49 pm  #2523

I have changed in the last few days.  
Seeing the DVD extras, having Chronicles...
I began to think we all have way too  much time on our hands and analyse too much.
It's honestly not that difficult.
It really is all there, if we look for it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 8, 2014 11:40 pm  #2524

Sorry, I do not have the time to post all the tweets made by BBC3 during the airing of series 1 but welcome to the Johnlock club. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 8, 2014 11:44 pm  #2525

I think not..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 9, 2014 7:45 am  #2526

I must admit that I have not read all posts here so far, most of all because there is a certain amount of repetition ...

One thing is clear to me, though. Martin Freeman is a brilliant actor, and there have been some awsome directors working on the show. If John's reaction to certain situations is received ambiguous anyway, then I am totaly sure that it is absolutely done so on purpose.

And that works in both directions, I'd say, for and against Johnlock hints. For example, they made his jealousy less obvious in the scene with Janine, but not neccessarily because John was not jealous, but because the showrunners wanted it to be ambiguous.

Let's face it, they want to keep us guessing. Or to put it in more positive words, they want to give us more space for interpreting. That could be one of the reasons why there is no comment on TSoT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 9, 2014 7:58 am  #2527

Schmiezi wrote:

Let's face it, they want to keep us guessing. Or to put it in more positive words, they want to give us more space for interpreting.

I totally agree.. they have one official version and reading, but they also include lots of things that mess with the official version. Now everyone is free to choose where they put their focus, either on the official version and by doing so neglect all the silly little subversive thingies, or on the "subtext" created by them and by doing so dismissing everything that speaks for the official reading. So discussions about the "one truth" are mostly pointless.. and I´d be willing to bet some money on them never ever abandoning this obviously veeery successfull way of storytelling.

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 9, 2014 8:18 am)

November 9, 2014 8:29 am  #2528

The repitition was partly my fault, because I posted the new transcript - just wanted you to have a better version than mine!

Yes, I don't think they want to remove ambiguity when part of their fanbase have such an investment in it. 

This one scene, though, I think the alternatives they give (jealousy or being pleased for Sherlock) are pretty incompatible, and the commentary is clear about which they are showing.   It's still ambiguous in that John could be pleased for Sherlock either way (why would he want Sherlock to remain celibate when he isn't himself?), and we haven't been told that John is a particularly jealous character (I think it's something that's possible for him, but not something we see.  For instance, he's quite comfortable with Mary's relationship with Sherlock).  Johnlock is perfectly possible without seeing jealousy in that scene.  I feel I'm arguing for Johnlock now - you know I don't see it there!  But I'm arguing for a less harsh view of John. 

I'm not sure why they didn't do a commentary on TSOT, though.  There's lots to talk about there that doesn't involve confirming anything one way or another.  They talk about all sorts in the commentaries - about the original stories, about filming locations, etc., without giving too much away (they were able to talk about HLV and Moriarty reappearing, for instance).   I've just picked out a couple of bits that I thought were relevant to this thread.   (And there are loads of bits I'd like to talk about, but can't find a thread for!). 

November 9, 2014 8:46 am  #2529

Yet they all give very full and frank interviews about their characters...and it's interesting that they have them in sections e.g : the 'Villains', 'the women'...which is Irene in, or is she is both and is Janine there at all?! Mary's in the women...

Last edited by besleybean (November 9, 2014 10:30 am)

November 9, 2014 9:11 am  #2530

Liberty wrote:

This one scene, though, I think the alternatives they give (jealousy or being pleased for Sherlock) are pretty incompatible, and the commentary is clear about which they are showing.

As you know I don´t see jealousy in the scene either, but I can agree to the notion that they could have shown John´s positive feelings a bit clearer.. more smiling, more looking appreciative. Maybe they felt it wasn´t necessary to get their intentions across, maybe they wanted the incredulous element to be the focus, but I wouldn´t rule out the possibility that they also tried to retain some jealous vibes here. Not sexual jealousy, but more that John feels he´s not longer at home in 221b and isn´t exactly thrilled about it - the bit with the coffee, the way he says "Sherl" or how he looks when she says "as if he ever was".. maybe the term "jealousy" is a bit misleading, but I agree that perceiving him as a bit resentful in those moments is not very far-fetched.

Last edited by Zatoichi (November 9, 2014 9:33 am)

November 9, 2014 9:20 am  #2531

I think John feels Janine has taken over when she hasn't even got her feet under table(as we say).
But he has freely married the woman he loves and they are about to start a family.
So I hope he has happy memories of 221B, but that he doesn't want to be back there.
The scene for me is this: they used the canonical story of Sherlock falsely getting engaged.
So here we see modern John's view of it: he's incredulous to begin with and then appalled at what Sherlock has done.

November 9, 2014 9:23 am  #2532

You don't want him to be back, bb?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

November 9, 2014 9:35 am  #2533

besleybean wrote:

Yet they all give very full and frank interviews about their characters...and it's intersting that they have them in sctions e.g : the 'Villains', 'the women'...which is Irene in, or is she is both and is Janine there at all?! Mary's in the women...

Although that's a little different from coming right out and saying "This will never happen".   They still have space to make it happen, although it's a very tight space indeed now!  They would have a lot of explaining to do.   

I did wonder, when I started watching, why they didn't make it more ambiguous - why they established John dating women so early on, and then changed Sherlock's relationship with Irene to include sexual attraction.   I've always wondered why they chose that route, especially when everybody was open to it being a gay relationship.    My theory is that it's simply because it wasn't explicit in the books, and they worked very well the way they were, without the distraction of spelling out that relationship.    They could have done exactly the same thing now - made the relationship undercover and not explicit ... except that it wouldn't really work in modern times.   Confident, gay men of that age aren't normally closeted any more (thankfully!).  And we (as an audience) would not be happy with everything between them happening behind the scenes - we'd have to see it. 

But if they DID make it explicit. then it would change the tone of the stories.  Holmes and Watson have a lovely relationship, but they don't focus on it themselves - although it's there and central, it's only mentioned as an aside, really.  If it was explicit, it could easily stray into soapy, rom-com territory. Love stories tend to be about impediments to relationships, so they'd have to (artificially) add some in to make it more of a story.  Instead, we've got a relationship that's very steadfast, although it's tested at times. 

Maybe it could have worked with them quickly establishing themselves as a couple, without too much tension in the relationship.  The idea always reminds me of the Thin Man films, which worked very well and were loved by audiences.   But maybe that was .. too cosy?  I don't know. 

Last edited by Liberty (November 9, 2014 9:41 am)

November 9, 2014 10:36 am  #2534

I knew there was something else you'd reminded me of, from the dvd extras...
I feel so much more positive about Sherlock and Irene now, much happier about the 'relationship'.
I thought Lara was particularly impressive in her discussion of the character, but Bendict, Mark and Steven gave much fuller and more understandabe accounts of themselves re: Sherlock and Irene.

But the team do not see Sherlock and John as a couple.

November 9, 2014 2:07 pm  #2535

Thanks god BBC3 does 

Last edited by Harriet (November 9, 2014 2:39 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 9, 2014 3:59 pm  #2536

I love BBC 3.
You really think they do?
I think they just know what fan girls want and they deliver...hook, line and sinker.
It's the equivalent of : a damsel in distrees, give them a puzzle to solve and watch them dance.

Last edited by besleybean (November 9, 2014 4:00 pm)

November 9, 2014 4:02 pm  #2537

Yes, Harriet, can't you see what's going on...? Over there at BBC 3 they are just playing games with all those little stupid fan girls.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

November 9, 2014 4:04 pm  #2538

... and I thought BBC3 were a serious institution!    Only good I don't see myself as a damsel in distress 

Last edited by Harriet (November 9, 2014 4:05 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

November 9, 2014 4:11 pm  #2539

And I am not a little fangirl. Just saying.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 9, 2014 4:15 pm  #2540

I think BBC3 is maybe seen as a less serious channel compared to the other BBC ones - it's aimed at a younger audience and has a lot of comedy.   I think it might be going to close down (or was that a rumour?).

Actually CBBC/CBeebies are probably even less serious and aimed at an even younger audience.  But you know what I mean.

Last edited by Liberty (November 9, 2014 4:17 pm)

Board footera