BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2012 3:59 pm  #1

Jo Nesbo

Not yet read the books but on the strongest recommendation from friends on the holiday I've just returned from I am about to start the first Jo Nesbo, Harry Hole book. I am a fan of Scandi and German crimi-literature (not sure if such a word exists, but if not, it should) and am quite excited about reading these. Has anyone else read them?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 25, 2012 6:50 am  #2

Re: Jo Nesbo

Now I've found out that the first two books haven't been translated into English! Why's that for goodness sake? Luckily they have been translated into German, so I guess I'll be reading them that way. Publishers are a right old mystery sometimes!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 24, 2013 7:54 pm  #3

I'm really keen on Scandi crimi-literature. I've read a lot of this stuff (from the best known (Larsson, Lackberg,Mankell) to less known). I love atmosphere of these books and the way thery are written.They may not be the works of art,but I enjoy reading them a lot.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

April 24, 2013 8:45 pm  #4

Jo Nesbo is great. I've read almost all of his Harry Hole books. Sometimes he's a bit too inventive, but I love the stories. The early books of the Hole series are not as good as the later ones though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He’s got a dog. We go to the pub on weekends. I’ve met his mum and dad …

… and his friends and all his family and I’ve no idea why I’m telling you this.

April 25, 2013 5:34 am  #5

I agree that he's developing his talent and later books are better than first. I agree up to the point that he sometimes is a bit to inventive, but the plot is always really good.

Science has not yet taught us if madness is or is not the sublimity of the intelligence.

April 25, 2013 7:26 am  #6

Just been bought 5 of his books (two of which I have read already, but hey, it's the thought that counts!) deeply into Game of Thrones at the moment but I may just have to read a Harry Hole book before I start book two of the GoT series.

Board footera